Ladungsträger auf Fahrgestell Bren(e)

ArmchairSamurai

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hello again everyone,

I am not sure how rare this is, yet I stumbled across the following link while looking for inspiration: https://www.panzer-modell.de/berichte/brencarrier/bren.php
At first, I thought it was a tongue-in-cheek story invented for a model, similar to the likes of Luft46, however after a little digging, I found this link that corroborates the first site's story and provides pictures, albeit not many: https://www.armedconflicts.com/dialkovo-riadene-demolicne-vozidlo-t30620

Attached are a few of the photos of the so-called Ladungsträger auf Fahrgestell Bren(e), including a heavily modified version that more resembles the Goliath. The unmodified version supposedly carried more explosives and did not necessitate any structural changes, so to accommodate the larger load. The giveaway is the spool of wire on its rear, which, like a Goliath, was how the weapon was controlled / detonated. I will note in some of the pictures, the unmodified version was being driven by a person, which confuses me somewhat, because who is to say that the vehicle in the photo is not just a Beutepanzer Bren Carrier with a spool of telephone wire for ground communication, akin to what the Kettenkrad has been known to carry. Unlike say, a Goliath, the Bren Carrier could have been and was used for a variety of differing roles by the Germans, which lends to the confusion; I also noticed that most photos of Beutepanzer Bren Carriers I can find are all modified in some way. So I am not so sure about whether or not the Bren Carriers pictured are the unmodified Ladungsträger, a simple Beutepanzer, or perhaps even simply a "pilot" vehicle for the Goliath; the latter distinction could also be a possibility due to how easily a Goliath could have been towed behind on its trailer and launched by an operator.

According to the first link, this exotic Bren Carrier is only officially recorded in volume 12 of "Beute-Kfz. and Tanks of the Wehrmacht". I double-checked the site's translation, and it does indeed indicate volume 12 rather than chapter 12. Does anyone have this book to verify this information?
According to the second link, the one with the pictures, the vehicle in question was used in the sieges of Leningrad and Sevastopol. That is the only information I really have on this vehicle as of now--and that information is also cited from the same source as the first link.
I will say that the original link did claim that a sole example exists in Kubinka's Tank Museum, though I have not been able to prove that claim via online research.

What do you all think? Like always, I want to share this find with all of you.

Attachments

• bren goliath 3.jpg
    bren goliath 3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 31
  • bren goliath 2.jpg
    bren goliath 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 31
  • bren goliath 1.jpg
    bren goliath 1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 31