athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Reaction score
KONSTANTIN UDALOV: "IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF V. B. SHAVROV". Vol. 1

Moscow 2022, 228 pages, ISBN: 978-5-4465-3169-1

Hi everyone! This is Konstantin Udalovs latest publication.
The book "In the Footsteps of V.B. Shavrov" is an attempt to provide extended information on aeronautics and aviation in Russia for the period up to 1907 on the basis of the book by V. B. Shavrov's book "History of Aircraft Designs in the USSR to 1938" the first edition of 1969. So this book is not only a refurbed edition but the edition is illustrated with many diagrams and photographs, previously unpublished. Ist for a wide range of readers interested in aviation.
The series was founded in 1994.

The book coverst he following chapters/items:

FOREWORD TO THE FIRST EDITION [pp. 3-6]

MIKHAIL VASILYEVICH LOMONOSOV [pp. 6-14]

NIKOLAI AFANASYEVICH TELSHOV [pp. 14-20]

ALEXANDER FEDOROVICH MOZHAISKY [pp. 20-94]

DMITRY IVANOVICH MENDELEEV [pp. 94-102]

VASSILY VASILYEVICH (WILHELM) CRESS [pp. 102-108]

FYODOR ROMANOVICH GESCHWEND [pp. 108-112]

DMITRY KONSTANTINOVICH CHERNOV [pp. 112-116]

PAVEL DMITRIEVICH KUZMINSKY [pp. 116-120]

STEPAN KARLOVITCH DZHEVETSKY [pp. 120-126]

ALEXANDER NIKOLAEVICH LODYGIN [pp. 126-136]

SERGEY SERGEYEVICH NEZHDANOVSKY [pp. 136-146]

EUGENY STEPANOVICH FYODOROV [pp. 146-160]

OGNESLAV (IGNAUTIY) STEFANOVICH KOSTOVICH [pp. 160-192]

KONSTANTIN EDUARDOVICH TSIOLKOVSKY [pp. 192-204]

VLADIMIR VALERIANOVICH TATARINOV [pp. 204-224]

NIKOLAI ALEXANDROVICH SHISHKOV [pp. 224-228]

The huge amount of aviation thoughts, projects and concepts throughout the (higher) russian society in Zarist times is astonishing. It seems that most of the leading intellectuals and military had something to say about "flying" and "aviation". The book starts with Lomonossov. This polymath had many thougts about flying, aeronautics and the atmosphere. He even designed a helicopter (a replica o fit can be seen in the national museum). Lomonosov, while developing scientific meteorology, he was also laying the foundations of aerodynamics, which did not emerge as a science until the late 19th century. In 1759, in a speech delivered at the Academy of Sciences and printed in the fifth volume of his collected works, he said: "I have noticed and concluded in the atmosphere of waves, which according to the above-stated theory in the great fluid bodies around the globe should be“ [p. 9].

The chapters about Kress/Cress and Geschwend will certainly attract european (and especially german) readers: here Udalov wrigths about the germna-russian cooperation of the engineer Wilhelm Kress and Fedor Geschwendt. See on Kress: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...ed-heavier-than-air-vehicle.4854/#post-550054

On these two examples the exchange of ideas and knowledge between 17th/19th century russia and german and western-europe can be seen very well.

In the chapter about the famous Mozhaisky the influence on french C. Ader can be traced.

I highly recommend that book! And I´m looking forward to the following volumes. Vol. 2 will cover the prewar time between 1907-1914 and will be devoted to Gakkel-aircrafts. Afaik the series will continue until the 1938 timespan.

The best way to purchase this book is to contact the author [ucon] directly.
Cheers! Athpilot

Attachments

• spf-0.jpg
    spf-0.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 28
  • spf-1.jpg
    spf-1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 28
  • spf-2.jpg
    spf-2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 23
  • spf-3.jpg
    spf-3.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 24
  • spf-4.jpg
    spf-4.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 25
  • spf-5.jpg
    spf-5.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 27
Hello to all!

Today I had the chance to take a look at the newest book of our friend Konstantin Udalov, called in “In the Footsteps of Shavrov”. This book is a bit different from the others written by Mr. Udalov, as it has a more historical approach, rather than a more technical one.

This book is rooted in the original publication of V.B. Shavrov, “History of Aircraft Designs in the USSR to 1938”, covering a time span of aviation projects until the year of 1907. Essentially, this period marks the very first steps in mankind attempt to conquer the skies using flying machines, as just some years before, in 1903 and 1906, the American Wright Brothers and the Brazilian aviator Santos Dumont first flew the very first aircraft.

The book has 16 chapters devoted to individual designers, each one extremely detailed with a complete historical background, documents and illustrations. It’s amazing how they imagined the concept of flight, in a time when all references regarding aerodynamics needed to be developed “entirely by hand”.

My favorite chapter is the one devoted to Mr. Konstantin Eduardovich Tsiolkovsky (pages 192 – 204), as he designed some interesting and advanced concepts for the time. We can clearly see that he took inspiration from nature to develop his first aircraft, with a wing shaped like a seagull. This is just one of his incredible projects you will find inside this book. His works attracted attention even from the military, another example of his engineering level.

I highly recommend this book for all readers interested in the aviation subject, as it is not only devoted to the projects, but also in the historical context the were inserted, adding a chapter in the history of the world’s aviation. To purchase this book, please contact the author directly.

Have a nice reading!

Back
Top Bottom