Jamieson J-1 Jupiter (1949)

Cy-27

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Jamieson J-1 Jupiter

Charles M Jamieson was a former Beech and Culver engine who, in 1949, was located at Feland in Florida.

The Jupiter was a conversion of the Culver PQ-8 and was all-metal with a distinctive V-tail.

Production was geared for the 40-50 aeroplanes per month but in the end, only the prototype (registered as N1859M) and three other examples (registered N41781 / N61468 / N41778) were completed. The prototype flight tests were undertaken by Ross Holdeman who was also the firms sales director.

Aircraft construction was with aluminium alloy stressed skin throughout the fuselage and wing. The fuselage was constructed in three distinct parts for ease of assembly. The undercarriage was of the tricycle type and was fully retractable. The aircraft came with a simple wing-folding mechanism, which was hand operated and fitted as standard. The Jupiter's cabin had doors either side for access to the three seats. Later, the company also installed a 125 hp Lycoming O-290 engine to the airframe.

There was a derivitive of the Jupiter called the "J-2-L" but I can find no more details about it. Later, in the 1960's Jamieson also built three examples of the "Take-1" , also referred to as the "J".

Jupiter Characterstics:

Engine: 1x Lycoming O-235-C1 (115 hp)
Wing span: 29 ft 0 in
Length: 20 ft 10 in
Height: 6 ft 9 in
Payload: 800 lb
Baggage compartment capacity: 120 lb
Maximum speed: 167 mph
Cruise speed: 150 mph at sea level
Landing speed: 40 mph
Range: 700 miles
Rate of climb: 1,050 ft per min
Wheelbase: 6 ft 2 in
Seats: 3
Cabin doors: 43 in high x 36 in wide
Seat width: 48 in wide
Advertised cost: $2,500

Source:
Aviation Week -13 June 1949 issue
aerofiles.com - Jamieson entry

Attachments

• Jamieson_Jupiter_Prototype_N1859M_Image.JPG
    Jamieson_Jupiter_Prototype_N1859M_Image.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 52
I was taught to fly by Charlie in 1973 at the Deland airport. The Jupiter was in the back of the hanger, and In my several years of flying there never saw it move. Charlie was quite a character to say the least!
He said he had worked with Al Mooney on his development of the Mite if I remember correctly. Indeed he worked on the original Mite that was owned by Walt Disneys cousin and showed up at Deland frequently.

Looks promising.
If only he had been able to buy those 800 drones at war-surplus auctions????

Looks promising.
If only he had been able to buy those 800 drones at war-surplus auctions????
Thanks for the reply.
The aircraft I am referring to is the second version. The all metal 3place with the folding wings. It sat in the back of the hanger folded. Charlie was especially proud the it had gone thru and passed the FAA certification process. I think the fact it was three place hurt it when four place planes were more sought after.

I never saw the Culver derived version, however he had several Culver Cadets and Vs in for maintenance from time to time. I really wanted a Cadet, but my Dad held a dim view of them. He was conservative in his aircraft choices, so my first plane was a 1941 Piper J5A Cub Cruiser.