Improved 18 inch gun mount on the HMS Prince Eugene

World B4

my bad y'all
Reaction score
In this video at 7:20, it is stated that the HMS Prince Eugene was to receive an 18 inch gun from the Furious, and it would have been mounted differently in an improved manner compared to the previously modified Lord Clive class monitors. Any illustrations of this, technical or otherwise, would be appreciated.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x8QwHdm1RU

Well according to sources the 18" BL Mk I gun was mounted in a modified Twin 15" Turret with maximum elevation of 30 degrees (instead of 20 of the 15" guns) on the Furious, and in a fixed mount on the monitors while the Hood's turrets allowed 40 degrees maximum elevation. This turret you spoke of could be the original Furious turret or a modified Hood style turret for maximum 40-45 degrees of elevation for the 18" gun

Wait, there was a HMS Prince Eugene ? Imagine, if it joined the Bismarck chase... and ended firing at Prinz Eugen.

Well, this depend on "monitor" definition... XIX-century monitors were reasonably fast for their time)
I fear reference to Ian Buxton’s book on ‘Big Gun Monitors’ may show an error in your statement about the speed of the Monitors…
Even the WW2 Roberts and Abercrombie were not exactly ‘fleet of foot’…

I think, Dilandu referred to the type of ships, that actually coined the term "monitor", the USS Monitor itself, and its successors. While the original USS Monitor is credited with a speed of just 6 kn, the Casco class reached 8 kn, and the Miantonomoh class 9kn. That compared quite favourably with their principal opponents like CSS Albemarle (4 kn), or the Richmond class (6 - 7 kn) : And even good old Monitor wouldn't have been easily caught by CSS Virginia with 5 - 6 kn. (Sorry, all data just quickly googled, but hopefully not too far off reality)

And there is no way a monitor could chase a battleship not even a pre dreadnought one!
I have to side with tzoli here. The early, low freeboard US monitors were painfully slow. British monitors weren't much faster. 19th century battleships typically reached 16-20 knots, they succeeded the relatively slow broadside ironclads and turret ships.
When steam turbines were introduced, battleships were early recipients - most monitors sticking with reciprocating steam engines, widening the gap. Diesel powered Marshall Ney and Marshall Soult were even slower.
WW2 Roberts and Abercrombie were powered by steam turbines, but made just over 12 knots and by that time no battleship afloat was slower than 20 knots.

Last edited: