Horten Jet Aircraft Projects

Worked for me (with right click => "save target as").
Great piece about the 229. Thanks a lot.

i try and got a download

it's a 19 page PDF
"Tentative description of construction of Flying wing 229"
the Translation by Technical Intelligence T-2 AMG
of the German document, "Vorläufige Baubeschreibung des Nurflügel 229" by Schmid
Reel 2037 Frame 288 ADRC, Nov 22 1944 4pp. 12 Illus.

I have no trouble sorry.All I have to do is double left click on the multmedia and the file is there.

9oo and 1200 litre samples
from Scale Aircraft Modelling -Volume 27 Number 3

Attachments

• Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 677
I get the impression that the basic 229 was just too small. If considered as a 3/7 scale 'try-out', it makes more sense-- Only it wasn't.

Plese see the march 1942 project with 19,09 meters span

Attachments

• Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 584
  • Escanear0007.jpg
    Escanear0007.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 586
Ho-IX first drawing

Attachments

• Horten  Ho-IX first drawing.jpg
    Horten Ho-IX first drawing.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Horten  Ho-IX first drawing 001.jpg
    Horten Ho-IX first drawing 001.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 233
Ho-IX flying mock-up (Ho-II)

Attachments

• Horten  Ho-II mock-up for Ho-IX 002.jpg
    Horten Ho-II mock-up for Ho-IX 002.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Horten  Ho-II mock-up for Ho-IX 001.jpg
    Horten Ho-II mock-up for Ho-IX 001.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Horten  Ho-II mock-up for Ho-IX.jpg
    Horten Ho-II mock-up for Ho-IX.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 199
Horten Ho-X "Volksjäger" first drawing

Attachments

• Horten  Ho-X  Volksjäger.jpg
    Horten Ho-X Volksjäger.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 312
  • Horten  Ho-X  Volksjäger 001.jpg
    Horten Ho-X Volksjäger 001.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 263
  • Horten  Ho-X  Volksjäger 002.jpg
    Horten Ho-X Volksjäger 002.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 250
Ho-X "Volksjäger" Drawing 2

Attachments

• Horten  Ho-X  Volksjäger Drawing 2 001.jpg
    Horten Ho-X Volksjäger Drawing 2 001.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Horten  Ho-X  Volksjäger Drawing 2.jpg
    Horten Ho-X Volksjäger Drawing 2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 244
Horten Ho-X transonic project

Attachments

• Horten  Ho-X  A Transonic project.jpg
    Horten Ho-X A Transonic project.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Horten  Ho-X  A Transonic project 001.jpg
    Horten Ho-X A Transonic project 001.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 148
Ho-XVIII projects

Attachments

• Ho-XVIII (23-2-45).jpg
    Ho-XVIII (23-2-45).jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 483
  • Ho-XVIII (25-2-45).jpg
    Ho-XVIII (25-2-45).jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 511
  • Ho-XVIII (23-3-45) 001.jpg
    Ho-XVIII (23-3-45) 001.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 526
  • Ho-XVIII (23-3-45).jpg
    Ho-XVIII (23-3-45).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 517
WOW :)
I just love when I wake up, fire up forum while drinking tea and find a lot of planes i never saw before. Fantastic series Justo, thank you very much. That transonic project looks like some modern drone.

Wow :eek:! Thanks Justo, I am still trying to manage this ammount of images.

Back to the Fliegerbildschule Hildesheim image posted by Richard, I now see that the misterious jet bomber was in fact the Horten VII TL project. Very nice indeed.

From "UNKNOWN! Nº5"

Attachments

• Ho-VII TL 004.jpg
    Ho-VII TL 004.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 295
  • Ho-VII TL 003.jpg
    Ho-VII TL 003.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 273
  • Ho-VII TL 002.jpg
    Ho-VII TL 002.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 273
  • Ho-VII TL 001.jpg
    Ho-VII TL 001.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 204
  • Ho-VII TL.jpg
    Ho-VII TL.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 209
Justo, please do not get me wrong but for me many of your drawings seem to incorporate several fictional elements which are not based on original sketches or descriptions (for example your drawing of the Ho-229B, post from October 03). Am I wrong?

Basil,

As the regulars of this forum know, the nature of my work is occasionally speculative. It consists of rebuilding these machines as they would have really liked, in the most realistic possible way.

In the present case, I have based my work on the descriptions of the Ho/229B published in the book ‘Jet Planes of the Third Reich – The Secret Project – Volume One’ by Manfred Griehl and in the book ‘The Horten Brothers and their all-wing aircraft’ by David Myhra. The wings structural data comes from ‘Nurflügel’ by Reimar Horten and Peter F. Selinger.
Once the measures of pilot, weapons and engines are integrated within the structure, there is virtually no margin of error in this type of reconstruction, although it is always necessary to incorporate some speculative element, like the position of fuel tanks, ammo tanks and electronic equipment.

It would be something like rebuilding the damaged parts of the dinosaurs DNA using DNA from frogs, as in ‘Jurassic Park` :) . The risky part is that frogs may change sex if they need to and I have also had to accept that sometimes my work had some errors. Through the years, however, I have been able to verify that my working method is quite more reliable than the DNA one.

At any rate, the speculative drawings in my last book are identified as such and are no more than 30% out of the total number of drawings.

Attachments

• Ho-229 001.jpg
    Ho-229 001.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Ho-229 002.jpg
    Ho-229 002.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Ho-229 004.jpg
    Ho-229 004.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Ho 229.jpg
    Ho 229.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 282
Justo Miranda said:
At any rate, the speculative drawings in my last book are identified as such ...

And that's more, than we get from many other authors, thank you Justo ! And a good reminder, as
for myself, I'll give a clue like "reconstruction" directly on the drawing in the future.
Don't know any percentage, perhaps we could start a kind of a quizz: How many of all 3-views,
all those thousands upon thousands floating around in books, mags and , of course the internet,
are really based on manufacturers drawings ? When browsing through modellers fora, you may
get an idea, when again and again someone complains about a kit not fitting the 3-view published
in X ... maybe he just had used another 3-view, than the producer of the kit ? Have a try and just
google for 3-views of the Messerschmitt Bf 109 ... all of them are just modified drawings from
Messerschmitt ??
And by the way, I've a number of examples in the meantime, where even drawings published by
the manufacturers had severe errors !
So our search for the drawing, that is 100 % correct probably is in vain and many may be just
lulled into a false sense of security with regards to accuracy.

Jemiba said:
Justo Miranda said:
At any rate, the speculative drawings in my last book are identified as such ...

And that's more, than we get from many other authors, thank you Justo ! And a good reminder, as
for myself, I'll give a clue like "reconstruction" directly on the drawing in the future.
Don't know any percentage, perhaps we could start a kind of a quizz: How many of all 3-views,
all those thousands upon thousands floating around in books, mags and , of course the internet,
are really based on manufacturers drawings ? When browsing through modellers fora, you may
get an idea, when again and again someone complains about a kit not fitting the 3-view published
in X ... maybe he just had used another 3-view, than the producer of the kit ? Have a try and just
google for 3-views of the Messerschmitt Bf 109 ... all of them are just modified drawings from
Messerschmitt ??
And by the way, I've a number of examples in the meantime, where even drawings published by
the manufacturers had severe errors !
So our search for the drawing, that is 100 % correct probably is in vain and many may be just
lulled into a false sense of security with regards to accuracy.

Seldom have such wise words been spoken!

Justo,
thanks for the answer. I am aware of the fact you have a large collection of literature and original copies (especially of German designs). Regarding the sketch of the Ho-229B I was amazed to see this kind of landing gear with one large frontwheel and two smaller mainwheels (if I interpret the drawing correctly). Is this an assumption (I have not seen that concept on any other Horten design)? However, it is also the first time for me to see the antenna arrangement of a FUG 228 (seems to be a Morgenstern / morning star layout with one director and one reflector). ;)

Perhaps all this technical discourse about the antennae could be split from this topic, and a link to it added? Just a thought.

Skyblazer said:
Perhaps all this technical discourse about the antennae could be split from this topic, and a link to it added? Just a thought.
Seconded. Thirded? Whatever.

I was perusing the Sharkit site, looking for some ideas, and came upon a little kit that was awfully familiar. The model was a Horten Kampfjaeger, and was a near spitting image of the Horten IX fighter, only scaled down with a single engine under the fuselage.

Since then, I've been looking as far as I could, but, other than model being offered for sale(at 45 Euros, though, I'd have to think long and hard before I'd be willing to shell that out, at least for now) in Sharkit, I have found nary a mention of it elsewhere, so maybe someone here might have had the information from elsewhere, because unlike what more than a few youngster might say about everything being on the internet, not everything is to be found in the internet, which is what books and books searches are for.

Now, having downloaded the illustration of the little fighter, and comparing it against an old 1/72 Horten IX(vacform), the wings of both match fairly well, even spot on, if you squint a little. And a nacelle isn't all that difficult to cobble, along with a spare bubble canopy and cockpit. And the landing gear look duplicable. So............... ::)