HMY Britannia as Hospital Ship model

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
In the early 1960s Triang Minic ships included a model of HMY Britannia as a Hospital ahip in its 1/1200 scale model ship range.
I have never seen any artwork for Britannia in this scheme so assume its artistic licence by Triang

Attachments

• Triang-Minic-Ship-M721H-Royal-Yacht-Britannia-Hospital.jpg
    Triang-Minic-Ship-M721H-Royal-Yacht-Britannia-Hospital.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 19
I don't know about artwork, but Britannia was designed to be able to be used as a hospital ship in wartime.

Although designed with features to provide the RN with a hospital ship for exercises and wartime use, I can find no record of this ever happened. Right at the end of her career Britannia did help other ships in a civilian evacuation but was not repainted to do so.

I remember during the Falklands campaign there were some comments made about the us of the SS Uganda as a hospital ship rather than Britannia. Although I would have thought the effort required to convert Britannia would have been much greater than that to convert Uganda given its education at sea role; converting the dormitories into wards would have been much simpler.

I think a possible reason why Britannia never served as a Hospital Ship was the revelation that she served as the UK's National Command Authority in wartime, ferrying Her Majesty and senior military and political staff around various secluded Scottish Lochs and waters. There is a fuller story to be told here, perhaps even as a thriller by John le Carre