Great Circle Distance - help wanted.

xylstra

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Due to the lockdown I'm stuck with just my smartphone and finding it impossible to accomplish some tasks. I'm wanting to find the direct, point-to-point Great Circle distance (NB this may differ from some planar nap formats) in miles between two locations. I've been unsuccessful in my attempts using several online atlases, hindered by my general unfamiliarity with them.
I want the accurate distance between Lowestoff in East Anglia on England's SE coast and Berlin and also between Lowestoff and Hamburg.
Can anyone supply the numbers? Thanks.

A lot of folk thrown off by the Mercator projection's flaws-after KAL 007 went down- wondered why the jet didn't just "go straight." The best way to show things is a string and a globe...but without props...the shortest explaination is that a straight path on a curved globe is a curved path on a straight map. Any amusing stories on the subject?

Hello,

I use this one and it seems pretty correct.

As a benchmark, I checked Lindbergh historical trip, 1927: from Roosevelt Field ( = Mineloa, N.Y) to Le Bourget, France.

And got
Air line: 3,611.29 mi (5,811.81 km)

Which sounds very close from OTL distance. So I think this website can be reasonably trusted.

Last edited: