UFO Interceptor 005.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 41
  • UFO Interceptor 006.jpg
    UFO Interceptor 006.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 40
  • UFO Interceptor 007.jpg
    UFO Interceptor 007.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 47
And mine remains safely in storage (in box AND with missile....) ;D UFO was and is a favourite of mine. Even down to the theme tune - all good. Anderson and his team did some great work and will be sadly missed. RIP.

Everytime i saw UFO on TV i asked myself why did the Interceptor had only one missile ? ;)

The original design of the Interceptor by Mike Trim had even bigger Missile
but in last moment Derrek Meddings "over work" the Design to the beloved Icon of today.

On the now tiny missile:
According pre-production memos of UFO, the big Missile had to break in 10 pieces, who make a "blanket detonation" close to the UFO.
but in end it was change to one missile, partly because the special effects and partly opportunity of a UFO get to Earth, What give much more interesting stories !
like that classic episode "THE SQUARE TRIANGLE"

Anderman said:
Everytime i saw UFO on TV i asked myself why did the Interceptor had only one missile ? ;)

And just think of the trim change following launch... Not to mention the effect on the cockpit canopy of thre rocket exhaust. It was real, wasn't it? ;)

shedofdread said:
Anderman said:

And just think of the trim change following launch... Not to mention the effect on the cockpit canopy of thre rocket exhaust. It was real, wasn't it? ;)

Not exactly, you can easily exploit a spring system and after the separation the missile can ignite its powerful solid rocket engine (more or less like the GAS concept implemented within the Shuttle Payload Bay).