German Mystery Infrared Devices

ArmchairSamurai

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am sure most of you know about the many infrared devices Germany developed, whether that be Falke, Uhu, Sperber, Vampir, (etc.) however, every now and again, I come across a few mystery infrared devices, but not attached to vehicles or hand-held weapons. I found the first photo, labeled Besbachtungs 1251, the other night, and this appears to be a modification of a flak trailer, maybe a searchlight trailer, with the apparatus attached. I suppose it's something of a tow-behind Uhu variant given the only thing I can find by searching the label (which is misspelled) is information on the Uhu itself. I have never heard of such a variant before; it does look different to the Uhu's apparatus, perhaps even smaller. My only theory is maybe it's a prototype of what would become the Uhu, given the number designation on the label.

Since I found that, I decided to also upload a couple more photos I found over the years of another device. All I know for sure is that it's some sort of long-range infrared camera. Reverse image searches did not find anything. You would think if something like that was in common use on the front, there would be more photos of it somewhere.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1251.jpg
    1251.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 94
  • mystery infrared camera (1).jpg
    mystery infrared camera (1).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 87
  • mystery infrared camera (2).JPG
    mystery infrared camera (2).JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 72
  • mystery infrared camera (3).jpg
    mystery infrared camera (3).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 73
I don't know who wrote the first photo caption but he can't spell. It should read: 60cm Beobachtungs Gerät 1251.

I think it's just a specific camera for something, with a telephoto lens. The soldier holds in his hand the trigger cable button, which is visible in the third photo, I also found this photo posted on Twitter.

Attachments

• d.jpeg
    d.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 72
I think it's just a specific camera for something, with a telephoto lens. The soldier holds in his hand the trigger cable button, which is visible in the third photo, I also found this photo posted on Twitter.

This is why I think it's infrared:

https://petapixel.com/2012/09/14/th...00-inch-infrared-lens-and-required-a-spotter/

http://www.rolf-keppler.de/enewyork.htm

If you compare what is said in the links, to the photos I uploaded of the German device, it's very similar.

Here are better images of the same type of camera from the link:

Attachments

• us infrared 1.jpg
    us infrared 1.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 66
  • us infrared 2.jpg
    us infrared 2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 62
If you compare what is said in the links, to the photos I uploaded of the German device, it's very similar.
But these are still usual photographic cameras with narrow angle lenses, which just can (but don't have to) take photos on plates sensitive to IR - a very useful feature in long range photos with long lenses, as it eliminates haze; but they can use plates sensitive to visible light as well (and a very similar effect of eliminating haze can be obtained with an usual panchromatic or superpanchromatic film and a red filter). You can easily load a commercial IR film to a regular camera and it does not turn the camera into an infrared camera or infrared device. ;) Such films register close IR spectrum, just outside visible light, say around 720 nm wavelength, and - as they require different focusing than visible light - it is a common practice to place additional focusing marks for IR sensitive films on even most popular photographic lenses - e.g. the red dot and the letter R on this popular rangefinder camera of the 1960s.
All you need in traditional photography, is an IR sensitive film, an IR filter on the lens to block visible light, a lens with IR focusing scale and a camera with preferably metal body.

Attachments

• 20220824_194534_c_nCh600.jpg
    20220824_194534_c_nCh600.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
So now devices I suspected are revealed. Long-range telescopes with camera attachment used during the war.

But these are still usual photographic cameras with narrow angle lenses, which just can (but don't have to) take photos on plates sensitive to IR - a very useful feature in long range photos with long lenses, as it eliminates haze; but they can use plates sensitive to visible light as well (and a very similar effect of eliminating haze can be obtained with an usual panchromatic or superpanchromatic film and a red filter). You can easily load a commercial IR film to a regular camera and it does not turn the camera into an infrared camera or infrared device. ;) Such films register close IR spectrum, just outside visible light, say around 720 nm wavelength, and - as they require different focusing than visible light - it is a common practice to place additional focusing marks for IR sensitive films on even most popular photographic lenses - e.g. the red dot and the letter R on this popular rangefinder camera of the 1960s.
All you need in traditional photography, is an IR sensitive film, an IR filter on the lens to block visible light, a lens with IR focusing scale and a camera with preferably metal body.
That is essentially what the links say about the US Army device. :) I do appreciate you explaining it more in-depth though! I suspect the device was used on the Eastern Front for observing long-distance targets (using infrared or not), and yet it probably was not very effective unless the ground was flat or the camera was on higher ground. Considering the weather in Russia, where fog is very common in the fall/winter season, it may have been useful.

I don't know who wrote the first photo caption but he can't spell. It should read: 60cm Beobachtungs Gerät 1251.

Definitely an English speaker..

A German would not have forgotten the umlaüt

Great photos! Just the device shown by ArmchairSamurai at the beginning of this topic is not the 60 cm Sw., and the Beobachtungsger. 1251, as mounted on the Sd.Kfz. 251/20, cannot be seen there. :(

Great photos! Just the device shown by ArmchairSamurai at the beginning of this topic is not the 60 cm Sw., and the Beobachtungsger. 1251, as mounted on the Sd.Kfz. 251/20, cannot be seen there. :(
Teen either this is prototype :) or 36 cm infrared light for ZG 1221.