For All Mankind - Apple TV Series

News:

Daniel Stern join cast of For all Mankind season 4, who shooting first episodes of S4
he will play Eli Hobson, the new administrator at NASA.
A former auto industry CEO, he’s been tasked with bringing the agency into the 21st century,
a challenge much bigger than he anticipated!

The Finale of third season, was mixture of the Martian, The Right Stuff, Terrorism and losses
it will have deep impact on season 4 !
Don't forget Red Planet! Although maybe you're trying to...

It seems that the Great Galactic Ghoul is also trying to prevent escapes from Mars as well as landings. Now if Hollywood's looking for an idea for a new monster movie, they can call me.

The Nord Koreans are Back in Season 4 (source Twitter)

FfLmaErVsAESuKF

This is actress Tyner Rushing will play a "Samantha, a space worker on the Mars colony"
her equipment has logo of HELIOS
FejDyZ4VsAAqy8m

M-7.. International Mars Program. I count US, Russia, Japan, India, North Korea, and idk what CCCG is supposed to mean neither the other flag.

USA, China, Japan, India, USSR (there is CCCP in Cyrilic), ESA, North Korea

IMHO, the second flag, right next to the American flag, is either from the private space company Helios Aerospace or its successor.

IMHO, the second flag, right next to the American flag, is either from the private space company Helios Aerospace or its successor.
With hammer and sickle?
USA, China, Japan, India, USSR (there is CCCP in Cyrilic), ESA, North Korea
Oops! My bad, i guess i'm an idiot for not knowing what ESA's logo was.

Well, if the second flag (with hammer & sickle) is Soviet one, what could be the one with CCC-Something?

Apple has released the first three episodes of For All Mankind, an alternate history TV series. Ron Moore, of Battlestar Galactica, is running it. The premise is that the Soviets were lucky with the N-1 and the first man on the moon was Alexei Leonov. As a result, the space race continues, steadily diverging from our history. Various historical characters such as Neil Armstrong, (then) Edwin Aldrin and Michael Collins appear incidentally, while Deke Slayton, Gene Kranz and Werner von Braun have more screen time and the main characters are fictional.

Some critics have called it slow, others might call it meticulous as it strives for verisimilitude and there are some fun Easter eggs (von Braun is seen on TV at a congressional hearing proposing Sea Dragon).

Overall, it's theme is 'how NASA should have kept going after Apollo' and I expect the divergences from our history to accumulate - footprints on Mars in the 1980s and so on.

As I mentioned, it tries to be realistic, so I'd be interested in what people think of it.
If any of you enjoy the alternative hardware in the show and like seeing it, please Chk another thread here under the Liftoff!2.0 discussion. There is a ton of proposed rockets, spacecraft and mission profiles included to operate this new upcoming sim boardgame. www.liftoff2.com has info too.

Nuclear Salt Water Rockets?
Dense enough to not need much in the way of tanks.
Yes, I worked out a NSWR missile that was 50 tons, held all of 9 tons of saltwater and could burn for 25 hours. Gave an acceleration of 283m/s/s at ignition and a max of 429m/s/s at burnout. Call it around 30m^3 of saltwater tankage.

They are reaching the era once told by Ray Bradbury in the very first "Martian chronicles" novelettes: January 1999. "Rocket summer". Later followed by The Great Exodus To Mars, in 2003. Hey, Bradbury was still alive back then (he died in 2014 AFAIK), and he might be thrilled to see reality catching up with his fiction - calendar-wise, I mean.

I don't wish FAK universe a Martian Chronicles' year 2005 - when they blow up Earth in nuclear warfare, those maniacs. And all those idiotic Mars colonists abandon the planet just to become light and heat on a ravaged Earth. Except for a few memorable ones - I liked Walter Gripp and Genevieve Selsor weird love story.

At the turn of the century I found my father paperback "Martian chronicles" book - and from this moment on, I red one story per month : from February 1999 (was in High School) to December 2005 (Faculty, just met my wife). Still waiting for 2026 to come, luckily we haven't blown Earth so far. But no Mars landing either.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.51.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.51.01 PM.png
    548.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.52.28 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.52.28 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.53.19 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.53.19 PM.png
    602.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.53.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.53.59 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.54.08 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.54.08 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
On the right of the station, this obelisk-shaped vehicle is probably the transport for the Mars base/Happy Valley workforce.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.51.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.51.43 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.51.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.51.52 PM.png
    921.4 KB · Views: 40
Happy Valley. Something explodes in one shot. In another shot, someone had written 'CH4' on a window.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.51.19 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.51.19 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.52.05 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.52.05 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.53.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 3.53.43 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • F56jV8raEAAKIQE.jpg
    F56jV8raEAAKIQE.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 4.13.06 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 4.13.06 PM.png
    764.5 KB · Views: 34
I mean, why would there be a Starship? Or even a SpaceX? FAMK's world is rather divergent from our own one, especially with regards to space travel and related field, and the conditions that were present for SpaceX's formation and following success are basically totally absent.
Because Helios showed it in season3

I mean, why would there be a Starship? Or even a SpaceX? FAMK's world is rather divergent from our own one, especially with regards to space travel and related field, and the conditions that were present for SpaceX's formation and following success are basically totally absent.

The series long ago dropped any pretense to be scientifically or historically accurate, so... frankly, who cares?

Well there's Boom... :)

Some screencaps from the latest episode. The asteroid tug, Ranger (that's its name I think), and Happy Valley.

It's drifting further from the hard sf alternate history that it was in season 1. Realistically, Happy Valley would look like heaps of sand or igloos made of sandbags with silvery bits sticking out and Ranger would have nuclear reactors on long sticks and big radiator panels. If they're finally going to show spaceships with fuel tanks, can't they show them with radiators too (ahem, consider the allegedly 'realistic' The Expanse)?

It's very much a space filler episode but it looks like the series is building towards a major shift.

Spoilers (well, speculation based on what's in this episode but which you won't know about until you've seen it):
Look at Dev's desire to settle on Mars permanently and Elon Musk's quip that he intends to die on Mars, only not on impact, and Kelly's insistence on taking her son to Mars. Maybe Mars declares independence.

Like it or not, the broad set of 'human factors' of the sort shown in tis episode are going to have a huge effect on what happens as they have always had in real life,* so that's realistic, but not one of the characters is anywhere near as compelling as those in Ron Moore's other major project, Battlestar Galactica. There's no-one near Bill Adama as a leader, no-one as funny and conflicted as Baltar. Baldwin is and always was an a-hole and Joel Kinnaman is neither Edward James Olmos nor Michael Hogan. Watching the rest of this series is going to be a struggle.

*'Idiot plot' - a term used to describe supposedly implausible horror or sf movies in which the characters behave idiotically so that they fall victims to the slasher or monster. Criticism of this neglects the fact that history is one long, incredibly complicated idiot plot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 9.10.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 9.10.48 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 9.09.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 9.09.57 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 8.22.28 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 8.22.28 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 8.00.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 8.00.09 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
[...]

It's drifting further from the hard sf alternate history that it was in season 1. Realistically, Happy Valley would look like heaps of sand or igloos made of sandbags with silvery bits sticking out and Ranger would have nuclear reactors on long sticks and big radiator panels. If they're finally going to show spaceships with fuel tanks, can't they show them with radiators too (ahem, consider the allegedly 'realistic' The Expanse)?
It's very much a space filler episode but it looks like the series is building towards a major shift.
[...]
Watching the rest of this series is going to be a struggle.
[...]
Hi, haven't seen episode 5 so far, but I concur with your review, that this series is shifting from alternate history / present more towards science fiction compared to our time-line.
I feel, I am watching a TV series based on the book / movie "The Martian" or based as a prequel to the series "The Expanse".:confused:

Last edited: