Fairey N4 Titania

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From l'Aeronautique journal December 1923,

here is a four engined flying boat project,designed by English Electric company,also
I check the projects for this firm from the book,English Electric Putnam,and nothing
about it,does anyone hear about it before ?.

Attachments

• EE.png
    EE.png
    229.4 KB · Views: 75
  • EE-1.png
    EE-1.png
    362.4 KB · Views: 68
  • EE-2.png
    EE-2.png
    378.5 KB · Views: 56
  • EE-3.png
    EE-3.png
    777.7 KB · Views: 52
Looks to me like a forerunner of the P.5 Cork (see attachment).

Of interest is the fact that the "P." prefix does not signify "project", but "Phœnix". The attached ad from 1919 explains precisely that The English Electric Co. "incorporates the works of Messrs. Coventry Ordnance, Dick Kerr and Phœnix Dynamo Co." and has "consolidated the joint aircraft experience and plant of the three concerns in one large central factory having exceptional manufacturing and testing facilities."

Attachments

• P.5 Cork.gif
    P.5 Cork.gif
    227.4 KB · Views: 55
  • EnglishElectric-Company-1919-1.jpg
    EnglishElectric-Company-1919-1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 13
Thank you my dear Skyblazer,

but P.5 Cork was appeared in 1917/1918,and that drawing was in 1920,we can say
a development of Cork.

The answer is in the text, this is the Fairey N4 Titania. It was built at Dick Kerr's works in Lytham

Schneiderman said:
The answer is in the text, this is the Fairey N4 Titania. It was built at Dick Kerr's works in Lytham

Indeed. I didn't pay enough attention to what was said there... :-\ It says that the N.4 was designed by Fairey, and after approval by the Admiralty, was built in three examples by three different manufacturers. The one that was nearest completion by 1920 was the English Electric one, built in a large hangar at Lytham.