FAI.ORG (records)

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Is there a source of FAI records (other than their site) that lists FAI records. To put it politely, their site needs work, and always has. Specifically I'm looking for current time-to-climb records. At one time the F-15 and Mig-25 held them then the P-42 took most (but not all) records from the F-15. Trying to figure out which one it still holds. (I think it's the 20,000m one.)

I don't know of such a source, unfortunately, as the FAI homepage is indeed horribad. However, I researched just that question a few years ago (when the site wasn't quite as terrible as it is today) and IIRC, this is what I found:
- the F-15 no longer has any of the *absolute* time-to-climb records to its name
- most if not all were taken by the P-42, which still holds the majority of the lower altitude records today
- the remaining (if any) were later retaken by the MiG-25, which continues to occupy the top spot for the highest altitudes
- by slipping in under the 12000kg mark (unlike the Russians), the Streak Eagle does still hold a number of class-specific records
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this helps!

Have you tried the NAA site (creatively, naa.aero)? I know there's a records search function there, but the results may be truncated if you're not a member. Given that the NAA is the US member organization of the FAI, the database might have both national and FAI records.

George Allegrezza said:
Have you tried the NAA site (creatively, naa.aero)? I know there's a records search function there, but the results may be truncated if you're not a member. Given that the NAA is the US member organization of the FAI, the database might have both national and FAI records.

No luck.

Trident said:
I don't know of such a source, unfortunately, as the FAI homepage is indeed horribad. However, I researched just that question a few years ago (when the site wasn't quite as terrible as it is today) and IIRC, this is what I found:
- the F-15 no longer has any of the *absolute* time-to-climb records to its name
- most if not all were taken by the P-42, which still holds the majority of the lower altitude records today
- the remaining (if any) were later retaken by the MiG-25, which continues to occupy the top spot for the highest altitudes
- by slipping in under the 12000kg mark (unlike the Russians), the Streak Eagle does still hold a number of class-specific records
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this helps!

Yeah, I thought the P-42 took them all but then saw somewhere that the Eagle still had the 20km record.