World B4

my bad y'all
Reaction score
During tests run by the USSR, it was determined that putting ERA on lightly armored vehicles was a bad idea, as it would break the hull. I see lots of people talking about "it's a vbied now lol" every time a photo shows ERA on a vehicle with less than BMP-3 levels of armor. But the thing is, we see it a lot. BMP-1 and 2, MT-LB, BTR type vehicles of multiple varieties, and by a number of military forces. Is there something we're missing? A spall liner to limit shaped charge effects inside the vehicle seems a lot more reasonable than a more expensive bomb that'll fubar the thing, but it's been done so often there's clearly a perceived advantage

Possibly more of a placebo or psychological effect on crews than anything else. Just what does it take to crack these lightly armoured hulls?

Are we sure those appliques are all ERA? There are some interesting developments in non-energetic/explosive reactive armor (NERA/NxRA) as well.

Correct me if I am wrong but I doubt a spall liner will limit shaped charge effects.

It has not just been vehicles that ERA has been proposed for over the years:
There's a difference between proposal and moving your VVIPs around in it.

Correct me if I am wrong but I doubt a spall liner will limit shaped charge effects.
Sure, if it's designed to take the blow back. I'm surprised Plasan hasn't designed something to that effect yet.

Spall liner against HESH and even normal HE yes but HEAT, I don’t think so.

Spall liner against HESH and even normal HE yes but HEAT, I don’t think so.
I assume it's possible, but the spall liner and ERA would have to be structurally built into the vehicle to maintain a lightweight, I don't believe it is on a Tigr.

A spall liner will reduce the cone of spallation, no matter the form of penetration.

It might not keep a gunner from getting a 0.25mm hole in his chest, but it will keep the TC and loader from getting their eyeballs and throats filled with metallic dust. Conversely, a HESH impact would probably shred most spall liners, since they're designed to contain breathable and airborne particulates, rather than large scabs.

Possibly more of a placebo or psychological effect on crews than anything else. Just what does it take to crack these lightly armoured hulls?

It's very much "sandbags and concrete", yes. A single rocket can crack open a BMP hull if it detonates more than about a kilogram of explosive mass of ERA. A crew would be pulverized at worst by massive chunks of steel and have a nice new window at best.

1665132426858.png

Only BMP-3 can reliably carry ERA and not suffer hull failure, because it has a new hull from BMP-1/2.

Is there something we're missing?

Perhaps? The LDPR isn't exactly composed of metallurgical or materials science engineers. They're rednecks with access to main battle tanks, welding rigs, and oodles of explosive reactive armor. Of course they're going to put it on everything, from rubber fenders to stowage boxes.

Actual improvements in protection is beyond their skill.

The Tigr would simply be turned inside out. This is not especially different from any other 4x4 truck being hit by an RPG though.

Perhaps? The LDPR isn't exactly composed of metallurgical or materials science engineers. They're rednecks with access to main battle tanks, welding rigs, and oodles of explosive reactive armor. Of course they're going to put it on everything, from rubber fenders to stowage boxes.
Lol have you seen the dpr T-64 with way too much Kontakt? But I can’t help but feel that as we see the Russians do this too, with btr-type vehicles, since the early 2000s, instead of putting it on older tanks being sent into service(they have on t-72s but I haven’t seen it in t-62), that maybe there’s a solid benefit? It was the ussr that tested the idea and found it dangerous, and I doubt these soldiers would weigh their vehicle down with bombs that won’t help them at all, especially when they could be used on mbts

The LDPR isn't exactly composed of metallurgical or materials science engineers.
This is the commander of the whole front's vehicle.

And? Maybe his driver suggested it or something.

But I can’t help but feel that as we see the Russians do this too, with btr-type vehicles, since the early 2000s, instead of putting it on older tanks being sent into service(they have on t-72s but I haven’t seen it in t-62), that maybe there’s a solid benefit?

1665189565018.png

What did the grandfathers know that we forgot?

For a more modern example:

1665189800497.png

1665190432959.png

It is quite literally nonsense, does nothing to benefit the vehicle, actively diminishes its capabilities, and confers a higher propensity of injury or death to the operators when attacked. However, it makes the soldiers feel better about their rides, which makes it worth it in most cases. Soldiers riding in poorly protected vehicles is better than soldiers refusing to ride at all.

Actual up-armored BTRs look like this:

1665190523670.png

Most Naval Infantry and some VDV troops have significantly modernized equipment with slat/cage armor and such which protects against rockets. ERA is just the Russian form of Hillbilly Armor. Sometimes the soldiers know what they're doing and fill the ERA with rubber sheets instead of explosive to make an incredibly crude form of NERA I guess. Sometimes they don't and plaster a T-62's rubber fenders and stowage boxes with K-5. It's no different than the US Army slapping rusty Iraqi sheet metal and duct taping PASGT vests to their Humvees in 2004 in that case.

There is a certain minimum thickness or strength of material required for ERA backing and neither BTR nor Tigr meet the standard. Nor does BMP-1 or -2, as Soviet attempts to put Kontakt-1 on the BMP-2 showed with the picture I posted. Slat armor would work but that requires like...actual work. Not something a depot of the LDPR would be able to do since they are trained for BDR if trained at all, nor the Federal Army except for maybe a factory.

It's impossible to tell what is inside the boxes on A.P. Lapin's truck, but it's probably nothing useful judging but their petite sizes. Actual NERA that stops with paper thin plate armor tends to be around 20-30 centimeters thickness. BMP-1/2 being not much better protected than M113 means you'd need something akin to RUAG's SidePRO applique i.e. around 20-30 centimeters thick blocks.

Last edited:
People continue to amaze me but, I should be ready for it by now. Hust how big a round would be needed to cause the block detonation I do not know but at least his colleagues can escape while the opposition are laughing their posteriors off into the next week

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyZOJtOQoaI

This simulation shows the impact of the 120mm M829 APFSDS with a Depleted Uranium penetrator being fired from a US M1A1 Abrams tank at a range of 1.9km, targeting the front hull of a Soviet T-62 tank equipped with the Ukrainian Nozh explosive reactive armour.Microtek supplies the explosive reactive armour system Nozh (Ukrainian for knife) and more advanced ERA system, the Duplet, which is tailored to defeat tandem warheads.Being new generation designs, both have entered service in the Ukrainian Armed Forces and are offered to domestic and export customers. The Nozh and Duplet are both built based on the KhSChKV-type ERA panels.Each panel contains extended knife charges that explode outward on impact and work on the principle of directive concentrated consecutive effect on the inbound projectile. Full set of the Nozh equipment for one main battle tank weighs about 3000kg.