EPHAG

Void

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
German project to develop a guided anti-helicopter round for main battle tanks. I stumbled on the SIGNAL article while I was looking for something completely different, so forgive me for just posting the results of a quick google.

SIGNAL magazine said:
With its heavy emphasis on armaments, BGT developed EPHAG, an anti-helicopter projectile fired by 120-millimeter smooth-bore guns on German Leopard 2 main battle tanks. The round, guided by an infrared (IR) seeker, pulls 30,000 g’s and uses movable, fold-out wings for control. Designed for self-defense against attack helicopters at distances up to 6 kilometers (3.8 miles), this weapon has been successfully demonstrated in several German army field trials, Schluter claims. EPHAG leaves the tank gun’s muzzle at Mach 3 velocity, or 1,000 meters per second, and acquires the target with its IR seeker, using its control surfaces to navigate autonomously. Small kinetic-energy and high-explosive warheads located in the aft section of the missile detonate to destroy the target. During guided firing tests against simulated helicopters, EPHAG successfully engaged 2-meter x 2-meter targets at a distance of 4 kilometers, Schluter claims.
http://www.afcea.org/content/?q=node/664

It was also covered in flightglobal way back in 1989.

picture of Rheinmetall EPHAG

Attachments

• GER- Rheinmetall EPHAG_1.jpg
    GER- Rheinmetall EPHAG_1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 221