i Look into point E of this graphic

index.php

It's labeled as Europa rocket with 4 Carole Booster
mostly describe in source as as stretch Coralie, but those engine have not enough Thrust to liftoff,
But what if that's not a Coralie but a new booster ?

in C.N.HIll excellent book the "Vertical Empire, second edition" has on page 243
A french booster for Europa rocket. 2,4 meter ø and length of 18 meter. with NTO/UDMH fuel and 4 x Valois Engine with 36 ton thrust each.
2 of them as Zero booster had carry a the Europa rocket to high altitude, were Blue Streak ignite.
could be this is Carole in detail?

OMG
Thx Barrington Bond

special for this Advance propulsion systems for upper stages
they look again for NTR after 1963 french proposal http://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1963/1963%20-%200922.pdf
But also into Ion and Arcjet Engine

Michel Van said:
OMG i miss the last post from April :-[

about low cost proposal Europa III by Germans,
in 1971 the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research
gave 4 assignments to ERNO, Dornier, MAN and Technlogieforschung GmbH
to study a low cost version of Europa IIIB Rocket
ERNO (Entwicklungs Ring Nord) use French hardware...
the MAN proposed use of Europa II hardware in Europa III
and liquid booster for Europa III, they build them later for Ariane 4 ::)
Dornier presend the Modular Concept ELGO
but most interresting is Low cost "Shuttle booster concept"
by Technlogieforschung GmbH because, its founder was Lutz Thilo Kayser
His Brother work at Doriner on ELGO project

until 1974 the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research
gave 4 million D-Mark to Technlogieforschung GmbH for the study and a prototype engine
but the german goverment decision to take Ariane rocket, terminate the assignment
then Lutz Kayser founded in 1974 the "Orbital Transport und Raketen AG" short OTRAG...
Source:
http://www.bernd-leitenberger.de/otrag1.shtml

Thx for Picture Barrington Bond

Very interesting. Yesterday I went to the CAEA (see my signature!) where we have the full collection of Air&cosmos since 1963 - at one per week, that's a big load of magazines. Takes some shelfs and storage room.
I skimmed the 317 and 324 (not 322!) for data on Europa III-E. Michel you was spot on - there's a legacy between Europa III-E and the 1968 SuperVulcain B. Looks like the German liked the concept, and (with the LRBA) upgraded it around the turbopump-fed Viking. From Air&Cosmos description that Europa III-E looks like an early OTRAG; the basis of the concept is already there.

Archibald said:
Very interesting. Yesterday I went to the CAEA (see my signature!) where we have the full collection of Air&cosmos since 1963 - at one per week, that's a big load of magazines. Takes some shelfs and storage room.
I skimmed the 317 and 324 (not 322!) for data on Europa III-E. Michel you was spot on - there's a legacy between Europa III-E and the 1968 SuperVulcain B. Looks like the German liked the concept, and (with the LRBA) upgraded it around the turbopump-fed Viking. From Air&Cosmos description that Europa III-E looks like an early OTRAG; the basis of the concept is already there.

i knew it, i knew it ;D
there had to be a connection between Europa-IIIE and SuperVulcain B
the LRBA Vulcain was in focus of 1968-1970 German Spaceflight literature.

index.php

The Europa IIIE proposal must be the units on the Right size of Picture
i dig true my archive for more...

Thx for Info Archibald

SEREB rockets ("gems" series) from an old French magazine:

Attachments

• Agate.jpg
    Agate.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 352
  • Diamant.jpg
    Diamant.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 313
  • Emeraude.jpg
    Emeraude.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 297
  • Topaze.jpg
    Topaze.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 286
From an old French magazine:

Attachments

• SEPR 35.jpg
    SEPR 35.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Arsenal AA 10.jpg
    Arsenal AA 10.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 53
More SEREB Diamant (illustrations by Pierre Estival):

Attachments

• Diamant detail 4.jpg
    Diamant detail 4.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 52
  • Diamant detail 3.jpg
    Diamant detail 3.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Diamant detail 2.gif
    Diamant detail 2.gif
    95.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Diamant detail 1.gif
    Diamant detail 1.gif
    71.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Diamant details.gif
    Diamant details.gif
    131.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Diamant taking off.jpg
    Diamant taking off.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 55
Europa 1 cutaway view:

Attachments

• Europa 1.gif
    Europa 1.gif
    62.3 KB · Views: 75
SEREB Diamant 2nd and 3rd stage:

Attachments

• Diamant 2nd stage.gif
    Diamant 2nd stage.gif
    186.7 KB · Views: 69
  • Diamant 3rd stage.gif
    Diamant 3rd stage.gif
    44.8 KB · Views: 67
Diamant was the only operational pressure-fed launcher in history. Pressure-fed stages tend to be pretty robust, so does anybody know if there was ever plan to recover a Diamant stage 1 from the ocean via prachutes ?

Archibald said:
Diamant was the only operational pressure-fed launcher in history. Pressure-fed stages tend to be pretty robust, so does anybody know if there was ever plan to recover a Diamant stage 1 from the ocean via prachutes ?

sadly, i have no idea if they try it.

i need information on Europa rocket second stage Coralie.
it's equipped with fifth engine, a solid rocket motor, in literature i found nothing about it.
the only clue to it's origin, is on Europa 2 stored in Munich, it's labeled: 63.9.01L/ELDO 2/104600

it's the red cylinder on picture

Attachments

• DSCF0046.jpg
    DSCF0046.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 77
Could that be an ullage motor (ie a small solid motor that makes sure the rocket stage accellerates so that the propellants settle on the bottom of the tank)?

Hobbes said:
Could that be an ullage motor (ie a small solid motor that makes sure the rocket stage accellerates so that the propellants settle on the bottom of the tank)?

yes, that is a ullage engine,
It push the upper stages away from the Blue Streak,
The propellants settles downwards and make the ignition of Coralie easier.

sadly, i not have found any detail information about that engine.

Michel Van said:
yes, that is a ullage engine,
It push the upper stages away from the Blue Streak,
The propellants settles downwards and make the ignition of Coralie easier.

sadly, i not have found any detail information about that engine.
This solid motor developed 39 kN of thrust during 2 s.
(from "Europa et Cora - Les fusées oubliées" by C. Rothmund, 1989)

Big Thx, cardonet

Another mystery

Acording the Book of Bernd Leitenberger "Europäsche Trägerraketen Band1"

the Blue Streak in Europa 2 has 5000 kg more fuel in rocket as the Europa 1
Thats around 2.5 ft or 76 cm longer tank or do have they super cooled the fuel ?
meaning more cooled LOX and enlarge Kerosine tank ?

Michel Van said:
Big Thx, cardonet

Another mystery

Acording the Book of Bernd Leitenberger "Europäsche Trägerraketen Band1"

the Blue Streak in Europa 2 has 5000 kg more fuel in rocket as the Europa 1
Thats around 2.5 ft or 76 cm longer tank or do have they super cooled the fuel ?
meaning more cooled LOX and enlarge Kerosine tank ?

After investigation i could found these facts:

According some german source got the Europa 2, 5000 kg more fuel as Europa 1.
After info of Bernd Leitenberger, got Blue Streak and Coralie stage more fuel.
Nicholas Hill confirm me by e-mail that Blue Streak used in 1&2 has the same size.

In case this is not a print error on mass, so how got Europa 2 more fuel in same size stage ?

Hill suspect this:
Here's a guess: the missile was built with an extra large LOX tank to allow for boil off in a missile mode. Hence extra LOX could be loaded. As to the kerosene: I have the feeling the engines ran fuel rich. Perhaps that was altered with the extra LOX.

Leitenberger theory on this:
The start of Woomera from the inhabited northern coast of Australia overflown.The stage should go down in two corridors in the Australian desert.So they do not fly too far, it could be that the blue streak is not fully fuel to and at the start from the CSG this was not more needed.

for moment i try to get some German literature about Europa program.
like Arno Fellberg "Eldo/Europa die glücklose europa Rakete" isbn 3-89714-241-4

Perhaps this may help – I’m no mathematician though…

From Blue Streak by Charles Martin

The kerosene tank was filled to the level which was determined by the mixture ratio of the installed engines, and the propellant densities on the day of launch.
The following parameters applied:
Minimum ullage (the unfilled space in the tank) at lift off.
LOX tank 1.694 cubic metres
(59.82 cubic feet)
KERO tank 3.902 cubic metres
(137.79 cubic feet)
Nominal capacity at lift off
LOX tank 56.228 cubic metres
(1985.67 cubic feet)
KERO tank 34.452 cubic metres
(1217.73 cubic feet)
Nominal propellant mass
LOX 61380kgs
(135320lbs)
KERO 26882kgs
(59264lbs)

Also
Lox tank capacity 1,930 cu ft 54,685 litres
122,000 lb 55,339kg
Kero tank capacity 1238 cu ft 35,060 litres
59,000 lb 26,762 kg

And from Development of the Blue Streak Satellite Launcher
Approx. 60 tons of oxidant and 27 tons of fuel.

Thank you very much for your reply !

This is the answer to my question
that Europa 1 used RZ.2 Mk II with lower thrust as Europa 2 with RZ.2 Mk III.
i think that Europa 1 was not tank full, to keep Thrust/launch mass ratio right

with empty volume of 5.596 cubic meters in Fuel tank.
means 4510 kg more Fuel for Europa 2.

interesting, can it be that Coralie got 500 kg more fuel on Euorpa-2 ?

Michel Van said:
that french "Pierres précieuses" program (or gemstones in English)

its goal was to development and construction of missiles and there guidance system
for French nuclear strike force and launch of satellite.

Solid fueled rocket
Agathe: development of measuring equipment on board and on ground
Topaze: development & test guidance system
Rubis: development & test (with Agathe ) of stage separation
Liquid fueled rocket
Émeraude: test for reentry Warheads for Nuclear weapon
Saphir: development & test of stage separation - (Émeraude and Topaze)
(most Émeraude & Saphir launches were warhead test)

Diamant: launch rocket - Émeraude, Topaze, Rubis
Cora: better know as Coralie, second stage of Europa 1&2 was also a "Pierres précieuses"

note on Émeraude
in original French proposal for join venture British space Program
was to use Émeraude as second stage on Blue Streak

the Technology used on Émeraude origin from Véronique sounding rocket
Véronique (VERnon et electrONIQUE) aka Project 4213
is the only rocket from the project 4211 aka Super-V2

France got after WW2 parts of 30 V-2 and thirty German engineers
and try to rebuild them for own V-2 rockets
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/superv2.htm

but project 4211 was cancelled in 1948 and
the team concentrated on development of the one-tenth scale Project 4213 / Veronique

so ironically Véronique and "Pierres précieuses" got also German origins

Regarding the Veronique:
Grey Havoc said:
From when France was still thinking of getting in on the Space Race: http://gizmodo.com/the-secret-history-of-the-first-cat-in-space-1791663725

in late 1950's were German development of a Lox/Kerosene rocket-engine for Jet Interceptor.
High pressure, regenerative cooled staged combustion cycle with 10 tons trust, cooled by Lox!
After interceptor program was canceled, MBB overwork it to ELDO-HDTW Engine with Lox/LH2
For Europa IIIB and IIID Booster proposal, after that was canceled MBB, got a request by Rocketdyne
for a patentrights on ELDO-HDTW, that became later the Space Shuttle Main Engine

Source on Interceptor engine and Rocketdyne connections.
Grenzenlose Dimension Raumfahrt
Harry.O. Ruppe
ISBN-3-430-17884-7
Page 141

Source on ELDO-HDTW
LRT16 (1970) Nr. 4 April
page 81-111
special thanks to Barrington Bond for the LRT16 info

Picture
left MBB HDTW right french rocket engine
index.php

Thanks Michel.
But I am not sure: was it a paper project or did they fly at least a demonstrator? The difficulty here lies in the details with reliability concerns due to high pressure in Staged combustion.

TomcatViP said:
Thanks Michel.
But I am not sure: was it a paper project or did they fly at least a demonstrator? The difficulty here lies in the details with reliability concerns due to high pressure in Staged combustion.

Oh no, MBB build operational Engines to prove that is possible and made allot ground testing
They tested first "staged combustion cycle" engine in 1963 and got a operational HDTW in 1967
but never installed it into rocket, original its was planned for second stage for Europa IIIB and all stages for Europa IIID proposal

HDTW HochDruck TriebWerk = High Pressure [rocket] Engine
Was in his time a radical design
the combustion chamber was toped by pre-burner chamber, forming one unit. (was made from COPPER for better Heat transfers !)
the pre-burner exhaust power a turbine directly ! before entering combustion chamber.
That Turbine power the Turbo-pumps what allowed HDTW to throttle Thrust if needed.
Combustion pressure were 159 bar or 2307 psi, the hydrogen Turbo-pump run on 243 bar or 3527 psi, the LOX Turbo-pump run on 223 bar or 3233 psi.
Oxidizer/Propellant mixture 6:1 - ISP(sea level) 375 sec ISP(vacuum) 449 sec. Thrust 148 Kn

So what went wrong ?

Politics...

ELDO and ESA had issues with HDTW, it was to Modern to extrem for its Time and matter dealing managers were to stupid,
There argumentation this new "untested" Technology would be risk factor for the future Rocket-system of Europa III.
So they decide to not to take Europa IIID and took modified Europa IIIB with Two french conventional rocket Engine...
in mean time Rocketdyne buy the HDTW patent for RS-25 engine

Source on ELDO-HDTW
LRT16 (1970) Nr. 4 April
page 81-111
again special thanks to Barrington Bond for the info

Thanks Michel, that's very interesting. It was a Vulcain 20 years before Vulcain ever existed. Kudos to the Germans !
So that was Europa III-B second stage engine ? Wasn't it called the HM-20 or something like that ? As you said, Europa III-S (LIII-S) got a Viking instead, and moved the hydrogen to stage 3, with the tiny HM-4, then HM-7 (which failed 5 times in 7 Ariane 1 - 4 failures, can't restart, yet is still in use on Ariane 5 and until the very end, per lack of Vinci...)

Archibald said:
Thanks Michel, that's very interesting. It was a Vulcain 20 years before Vulcain ever existed. Kudos to the Germans !
So that was Europa III-B second stage engine ? Wasn't it called the HM-20 or something like that ? As you said, Europa III-S (LIII-S) got a Viking instead, and moved the hydrogen to stage 3, with the tiny HM-4, then HM-7 (which failed 5 times in 7 Ariane 1 - 4 failures, can't restart, yet is still in use on Ariane 5 and until the very end, per lack of Vinci...)

In most Dokumentation explain this way:
the French restart the HM-4 program and went straight to HM-6 with 60 Kn thrust (two in H20 Stage of Europa III)
but as ELDO collapsed and ESA was founded, the Europa III got canceled.
Then Alternative design L3S (Ariane 1) was presented a compromise of 3 stage based on Europa III Design.
And since French pay 62,5% of Ariane budget, they decided who and what to build like HM-7 engine
So any hope for HDTW to get under Rocket stage was lost...

Or could be that Rocketdyne got with HDTW patent, also right to license it and ESA not wanted to pay them, i just don't know...

and now back to Topic the Space Shuttle

I ill-formulated my question. There was a company called cryrocket, a joint venture between M.B.B and SEP that was to build the H.20, the hydrolox engine for the second stage of Europa III-B.
Was Cryrorocket H.20 related to the HDTW in any way ?

could one of moderators
copy Reply #382 to Reply #387
to here ?
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4130.135.html

afterwards i clean up the reply here of Europa III comments

Thanks you very much

Doing some research via Google books I found bits of a 1973 tech paper

A74-42470 Considerations for acquisition and use of the General Dynamics Atlas space launch vehicle as an international space booster. G. J. Vila (General Dynamics International Corp.) and P. J. O'Leary (General Dynamics Corp., Convair Aerospace Div., San Diego, Calif.). In: International Symposium on Space Technology and Science, 10th, Tokyo, Japan, September 3-8, 1973, Proceedings. (A74-42352 21-31) Tokyo, AGNE Publishing, Inc., 1973, p. 1117-1125.

Looks like GD tried to sell its Atlas to both CNES and NASDA. A brief study was made on Atlas integration at their launch pads in Kourou and Tanegashima.

Interestingly enough it was found Atlas fits Europa II Kourou pad pretty well, which was not that surprising considering Blue Streak was kind of Atlas small half-brother. What's more, it seems that CNES aparently got a brief study about an Europa II / Atlas hybrid, with the Coralie upper stage !

I can't help thinking that the Blue Streak - Centaur proposal of 1972 mentionned in the book "A vertical empire" might be related to this...

This does not surprise me as MDD managed to sold Delta to NASDA and also got a 1974 study by ESRO for a Kourou launch complex

https://history.nasa.gov/AAchronologies/1974.pdf page 204 of the pdf

could one of moderators
copy Reply #382 to Reply #387
to here ?
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4130.135.html

done

thanks, pometablava

Archibald said:
I ill-formulated my question. There was a company called cryrocket, a joint venture between M.B.B and SEP that was to build the H.20, the hydrolox engine for the second stage of Europa III-B.
Was Cryrorocket H.20 related to the HDTW in any way ?

So far the German literature this happen during January 1970 to December 1972

January 1970
ELDO Minister meeting about successor of Europa I&II rocket were Europa III-B proposal wins

A Rocket of 3,6 meter ø and 36 meter long
frist stage L120 with four Viking M44 engines, second stage as has of 25 tons for hydrolox (label in french literature from the begin as H20)
this second stage had to be build by "Cryorocket" a join venture of MBB and SEREB
Program cost estimate as $475 millions over next seven years launch expected 2 test launch follow with 3 launch until operational in 1979
(note L is for Liquid, H stand for Hydrogen, the Number of propellants in tons. M stand for Motor the number for it thrust in tons)

Soon first detail changes were made in before 11-12 july 1972 (presentation of progress report to Minister)
the engine prototype Viking M55 made more thrust, so fuel load was increased in First stage L150, also Diameter of 3,6 to 3,8 meter
that reduce hight of First stage from 19,2 to 18,4 meters, the second stage reduce from 12,2 to 10,50 meter.
in contrast the Payload fairing was extended to 8,5 to 11 meters.
over next seven years launch expected 5 test launches until operational in 1979

next came to engine of second stage the Germans wanted to build.
here it become vague but most descriptions mean HDTW either in function or data
for Europa III had to a engine that does 200~250 kN thrust, combustion chamber pressure 130 atmosphere and ISP 4393 meter/sec
That engine was consider biggest cost factor in Development of Europa III
also steps Italy out the Europa III program, increasing the German financial involvement to 45%

Then in November 1972 two engineers at CNES, Albert Vienne et Roland Deschamps,
Publish the study for low cost and saver approach to Europan launch rocket called "lanceur de substitution à Europa 3" short L3S

In December 1972 happens the next Minister council the Europa rocket program is dead and L3S proposal is taken.
two reason: far cheaper as Europa III with 3520 million franc vs 2210 million franc for L3S (1973 french francs)
and second rely only conventional hardware. L3S was relabel later to Ariane 1

This picture from french Literature show the Engine for H20 stage
from it configuration that clearly the HDTW engine from MBB
1971%20moteur%20H20.jpg

Can it be that i made mistranslations while reading french text?
That HDTW was to be NOT Replace in first place ?
Next to L3S was another proposal by Aerospatiale called Europa 3 National (E3N or Europa 3N)
it feature L150 from Europa III rocket (like L3S) but feature a second stage for hydrolox with two french engine with each 14 ton thrust.
i afraid of mixing up the Two versions during translation

sources:
http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers/espace_europeen/ariane/index.htm

Europäische Trägerraketen
von der Diamant zur Ariane 6
Bernd Leitenberger
ISBN 9781500296612

Well, sure, going from HM-4 / HM-7 5 tons thrust to 14 tons of 20 tons sounds like a big leap in a very short amount of time (1970 - 1972) - and SEP was already extremely busy with both HM-4 and M-55 Viking.
Which mean that it might very possible that Cryrocket *borrowed* the advanced German rocket engine and it got a French name - HM-20.

It would be a classic tactic of aerospace industry - if you can't steal it, then get into a partnership to get the advanced technology... legally ;D

The way things goes, the French probably were pissed-off (or jealous ?) seeing the Germans handling that engine technology to Rocketdyne and Cryorocket was kind of trick to get the technology back to Europe.

yes that be it.

Interesting is that most drawings of L3S show a 4 combustion chamber engine ( HM4 ) in early design
later under Ariane that became single combustion chamber HM7 by Snecma,
Guess who built that combustion chamber for them ? MBB !

I did a search on Google book (but I know nothing about German language, although the dates and authors seems to correspond)

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1680&bih=936&tbm=bks&ei=FqbEWtbxC4bawAKegpKACg&q=%22Hochdruck+triebwerk%22%22europa%22&oq=%22Hochdruck+triebwerk%22%22europa%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...12876.15180.0.15456.8.7.1.0.0.0.76.490.7.7.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.dV8EjIGQJf8

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&biw=1680&bih=936&tbm=bks&ei=r6bEWtOWLdHawQLwwIOACg&q=%22Hochdruck%22%22Europa+III%22&oq=%22Hochdruck%22%22Europa+III%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...18060.20840.0.21242.12.12.0.0.0.0.104.852.11j1.12.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.-WzlrZ0RT7k

(I know the links are atrociously long but at least they work)

Michel, are you familiar with the sources there ?

Thank for link

one of Text say that Rocketdyne needed the Production method MBB developed for building HDTW
other mention MBB engine P-111 a high pressure rocket engine

one title on Europa III is
Untersuchung einer thermonuklearen Oberstufe = Investigation of a thermonuclear upper stage

What To Hell ?!

Ok, i've found some data about your mysterious rocket engine. It was called BORD-1 or P320. There was also the earlier P111 which burned kerosene.

See the attached paper.

Attachments

• LH2.pdf
    649 KB · Views: 35
Archibald said:
Ok, i've found some data about your mysterious rocket engine. It was called BORD-1 or P320. There was also the earlier P111 which burned kerosene.

See the attached paper.

Thanks Archibald

seems that P111 was that High pressure rocket engine for German Interceptor program in end 1950s.