Drones and how to kill them?

Good ol shrapnel shells could make a return but it would require advanced ranging equipment. Organ guns could also become a thing again but it could be costly. How effective are proxy fuzes against the average plastic drone?

Gigawatt?

Must be pulsing pretty hard, like 1600W for a fraction of a second.
Yeah, I've been meaning to look into that. A GW is a hell of a lot unless it's only for a very short time. This is all I could find. It's probably 1kJ over a microsecond or something.

Good ol shrapnel shells could make a return but it would require advanced ranging equipment. Organ guns could also become a thing again but it could be costly. How effective are proxy fuzes against the average plastic drone?
Sometimes I think the best defence is simply more drones and preferably more autonomous ones to hunt down and kill the people launching these things, as well as more long range strike weapons to blow up the people and places responsible for manufacturing them, as well as any supporting industries, plus their logistics routes to the front lines. As usual the best defence is more offence.

View: https://x.com/AirPowerNEW1/status/1790771347859112335

View: https://x.com/AirPowerNEW1/status/1790878167667704038

View: https://x.com/AirPowerNEW1/status/1790890073782698217

Last edited:
A microwave blunderbuss..”Honey, I cooked the kids!”

Pure Captain Video.

Other drone killing arrays look like sheet rock covered road signs…

Drones may just have gotten deadlier

Gee, thanks a bunch Big Brother…

Yikes

Last edited:
Given the proliferation of microwave anti-drone devices, is there any difference in vulnerability between fully autonomous and data-linked or pilot-in-the-loop drones?

I'd suspect that if you have comms aerials it's going to help couple RF-energy into the innards, but is it a significant difference?

The Houthis are racking up a pretty impressive kill-count... Have we reached the end of the Predator?

For drones, what I simply don't understand is why not AHEAD rounds from a 30-50mm autocannon - and building simply a ton of them. Is the defended area difference between that and AWPKS really that great? Every base needs point defenses so bring back (heavily modernized) AAA at WW2 scale.

The Houthis are racking up a pretty impressive kill-count... Have we reached the end of the Predator?
I mean, it's not like Predators or Reapers have any defensive systems installed in them... No chaff or flares, no radar detectors to know they've been illuminated, no missile approach and warning systems...

Why is anyone expecting a completely undefended airframe to be able to fly around in contested skies?!?

For drones, what I simply don't understand is why not AHEAD rounds from a 30-50mm autocannon - and building simply a ton of them. Is the defended area difference between that and AWPKS really that great? Every base needs point defenses so bring back (heavily modernized) AAA at WW2 scale.
Well, the 35mm AHEAD guns have a 4000m max altitude and a max range of ~4000m under radar control. APKWS has more like a 10km range.

I mean, it's not like Predators or Reapers have any defensive systems installed in them... No chaff or flares, no radar detectors to know they've been illuminated, no missile approach and warning systems...

Why is anyone expecting a completely undefended airframe to be able to fly around in contested skies?!?
The skies of the Middle East's backward states used to be uncontested and perfect for the Predator, but now even Yemen is heavily contested. That's quite a change.

As for the rest, yes, to get 6 kind-of betrays a lack of imagination by US planners.

Well, the 35mm AHEAD guns have a 4000m max altitude and a max range of ~4000m under radar control. APKWS has more like a 10km range.

It obviously won't be answered here, but what is APKWS range from ground launch against a moving target? The 10km range quoted may be air-launched against fixed target - a different range equation entirely.

It obviously won't be answered here, but what is APKWS range from ground launch against a moving target? The 10km range quoted may be air-launched against fixed target - a different range equation entirely.
I think in this case the air-launch platform would have been a hovering heli though, so not that much difference.

"Israel is examining the M61 Vulcan cannon to counter drones, according to the Israel Defense Forces, with local media reporting the weapon would go atop armored personnel carriers deployed along the northern border // The Israel-based Alma Research and Education Center recently estimated that Hezbollah has more than 2,500 UAVs "

In effect bringing back the M163 VADS built in the 60's and 70's, with the 20mm Mk 149 round with its sub-caliber 12 mm depleted uranium penetrator effective range claimed to be 2.5 km.

You can see how difficult it is for the kamov to knock this thing out just using what I`m` assuming to be a door gunner.In the end they practically have to get right on top of this thing to take it out.
I`m honestly surprised that they`re not using a dedicated attack helo,tho these might all be needed at the front.
Barring that using something like the AT-6 atgm would seem to be the better less risky choice,imho anyway.
Heres the view from inside the kamov during an interception,looks like a door gunner and also pilot operated twin 2 barrel gun pods from the sound of it.
Why they dont just use an atgm I honestly dont know..... :rolleyes:

I suspect boring industrial issues are why EAPS had been killed, in favor of pursuing HPMs and modifications of existing ordnance, but I don't really have any evidence for this or anything. Introducing a novel ammunition is hard though, and between XM913's 50x228mm and EAPS's 50x330mm, the former wins because it's an existing inventory munition.

You just compensate by slapping an octuple rack of APKWS on the side of an air defense M913-armed PABM-spitting M37 Linebacker II.

The skies of the Middle East's backward states used to be uncontested and perfect for the Predator, but now even Yemen is heavily contested. That's quite a change.

As for the rest, yes, to get 6 kind-of betrays a lack of imagination by US planners.

It's probably the same reason a Nighthawk got killed in Kosovo. Mission planning is more heavily constrained by political considerations than the alternative. Still, better six Reapers, than six AH-64s, or a single JSF though.

Spare UAS should just be stockpiled in flat pack crates, like how the Essexes stockpiled spare F4Us on the hangar ceiling hooks, tbh. Don't publicize the loss rates because it's a robot and it has no family, so there's no need to make a big deal about it.

Have there been attempts to use MMW radar to detect drones and cue an RCWS to shoot at them?

The main issue that seems to be occurring is that its hard to detect FPV drones in the first place. Jamming seems to have worked quite well against off-the-shelf drones, as the rates at which they are being used seems to have declined, and it seems like both sides are now using purpose-built drones, which are more expensive. I think passive means such as cage and bar armour might be somewhat effective against smaller drones, but modifying APS to counter drones as well would be a much better option. Active measures require means of detection, and I'm not sure what advancements have been made on that front. Perhaps MMW radar could be a solution?

Heres the view from inside the kamov during an interception,looks like a door gunner and also pilot operated twin 2 barrel gun pods from the sound of it.
Why they dont just use an atgm I honestly dont know..... :rolleyes:
There were times when the heli was close enough that if the drone had exploded, they would have been in trouble. It wasn't smart at all.

Have there been attempts to use MMW radar to detect drones and cue an RCWS to shoot at them?

The main issue that seems to be occurring is that its hard to detect FPV drones in the first place. Jamming seems to have worked quite well against off-the-shelf drones, as the rates at which they are being used seems to have declined, and it seems like both sides are now using purpose-built drones, which are more expensive. I think passive means such as cage and bar armour might be somewhat effective against smaller drones, but modifying APS to counter drones as well would be a much better option. Active measures require means of detection, and I'm not sure what advancements have been made on that front. Perhaps MMW radar could be a solution?
That what the Army and Marines be using for their new Short range ADA system. Ku and shorter bands which work just fine for smacking small FPV drones.

This thread is not intended to discuss any individual countries use of drones as UAV are now called.
Rather it is to have a place where we can look at general developments in UAV technology and ways to kill drones.
Drones offer a cheaper and easier to use alternative to aircraft, missiles, and a range of systems.
Current drones are small and cheap. killing them needs expensive weapons designed to shoot down planes and missiles.
Perhaps we need to go back to more basic weapons like shotguns and cannons slaved to effective jamming and detection systems.
Interference and detection is the key, although given the massive Iranian drone attack on Israel, if it is not surprising, then it will not cause damage, it is a low-grade weapon, I do not think it will work so easily against a professional and experienced army like the American one. despite being a very widespread method due to the lack of resources and an army overestimated in power like the Russian one.

Attachments

• New Plane Schemes 27.jpg
    New Plane Schemes 27.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom