Douglas/Heinemann HFF Canard Delta-Wing Fighter Project

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
From Air International 10/1982,

and in article about Douglas F4D & F5D fighters,I found a strange canard delta-wing fighter project,could operated from land and aircraft carrier,and called HFF or Highly Flexible Fighter,who heard about that beast before ?.

Attachments

• HFF.png
    HFF.png
    657.1 KB · Views: 1,037
  • HFF & F5D.png
    HFF & F5D.png
    601.8 KB · Views: 952
Last edited:
A more info;

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 818
  • 2.png
    2.png
    382.6 KB · Views: 788
Thanks for the find!

In some dimensions and thrust figures, this HFF could be compared with real JAS-39 Gripen.
I didn't find any weight data for this Heinemann study, although, the basic conception of small, lightweight fighter could be the same, that drive the Gripen's designers. Of course, they have Viggen in mind, as a starting point ;)

So, I prepare a rough comparison drawing of both types in scale 1 to 100. Surprisingly, Gripen appears to be smaller, then HFF concept! Two-seat version has had nearly similar lenght. Another type, which nearly fits this dimensions has been Israel' Lavi - with the PW 1120 engine, mentioned in the article - and canard configuration.

Attachments

• HFF and JAS39.jpg
    HFF and JAS39.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 531
  • HFF.jpg
    HFF.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 198
Hi Silencer1,

do you have some of Heinemann aircraft projects study ?.

Nothing more, then data from this article - just roughly compare Heinemann' concept and actually build Gripen.
I'm curious, why the HFF has been drawn around two-seat cockpit?
Perhaps, keeping in mind the ability to change it to single-seat version with extra avionics?

Thank you Silencer1,

but I meant if you know more unknown Heinemann projects ?.

I don't have any additional information about Heinemann' projects, other then published in books or web. Wide range of his aircraft and approach to design of them really inspire my imagination, and I has a great respect to this person.

hesham said:
OK Silencer1.

You are welcome!

I'd updated my previous message with comparison betwwen HFF and JAS-39.
Nothing unusual, except, that Gripen is even smaller, then Heinemann' design, which dimenions have been chosen with carriers' elevators, I suspect.
From other hand, contemporary single-engined figthers have been tightly fitted around their powerplant.
Lavi, J-10, JAS-39, F-16 - all have been small enough, and some of them have been canards! ;)

Thank you Silencer1,

and can you separate a 3-view to Douglas HFF only,I like to see its shape completely.

Hi,

I hope to see all facts about this design or designation numbered in new American Secret Projects book.

Doubtful. Heinemann had retired by the time he drew this, so its not in any way a 'real' project by a company in response to a requirement.

Silencer1 said:
Nothing more, then data from this article - just roughly compare Heinemann' concept and actually build Gripen.
I'm curious, why the HFF has been drawn around two-seat cockpit?
Perhaps, keeping in mind the ability to change it to single-seat version with extra avionics?
——————————————————————————————

Two seats were needed for transitioning new pilots, so they designed this tiny canard with 2 seats from the start.
They probably expected to keep the same external loft lines when building combat-ready single-seat versions: just unbolt the rear seat and replace it with extra avionics or a fuel tank.

Only the latest fifth generation, F-35 has been designed solely as a single-seater. I suspect that F-35 took this route because of vastly improved simulators that have only rec brig come on the market.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Doubtful. Heinemann had retired by the time he drew this, so its not in any way a 'real' project by a company in response to a requirement.

OK my dear Paul.