Douglas DB Project Numbers

ACResearcher

Author/researcher/illustrator.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a complete and accurate listing of the Douglas DB-series projects of aircraft? I have also posted this request on the Designations section.

I have received information that completely contradicts my original documents on several of these, especially the DB-10, which was a TWO-engine project, NOT a FOUR-engine project.

Douglas' Project Spec Numbers for the DB-10 were as follows: DS-271, DS-272 and DS-274. I have original 3-views and engineering analysis documents for this project.

Thanks in advance,

Alan Griffith

My dear Alan,

who said that,it was developed from DB-7/A-20 as a twin engined attack bomber ?!.

Hesham,,

I don't have the time right now to go to my documents, but I don't recall ANY mention of the DB-7/A-20 within them.

The aircraft was quite different from the DB-7, the least of which being it was designed around the "flat engines" that were something of the rage at the time. It was a completely new design and similar only in that it was a two-engine attack proposal.

AlanG

I just went back to my Douglas Projects listings and found an earlier iteration of the DB-10.

DS-259 dated 09-07-38

AlanG

There is something about the Douglas flat engine projects of 1938 (DB-10 / DB-12)
on Retromechanix for August 2023

Lark,

That information on the DB-10 and DB-12 is the reason for my request. The info on the DB-10 is incorrect. The DB-10 was a two-engine project, not four. I have the original 3-view and several engineering reports that I'm sending Jared, and talked to him about it on the phone. Having cleaned up his DB-10 drawing it appears that it may be the DB-9, but it is so blurred that I can't tell. The Air Corps approached Douglas in the late 1930's to design a four-engine bomber. Douglas refused to build an aircraft so the AC could destroy it (a la Boeing 299) and not pay them for it.

Anyway, that is why I'm looking for a complete and accurate list of Douglas' DB projects.

AlanG

My dear Lark,

that's new for me DB-12,but I knew already it reach to DB-19.

In the mean time , I also found ifo about in the Douglas aircraft book by René Francillon
Putnam Publ.
Thanks anyway.