Diehl IRIS-T SL

It is IIRC also the ONLY operational IRIS-T SL system in existence, with the other promised three being build and delivered as soon as finished.
It's (known) operational record in Ukraine must be priceless advertising for Diehl.

Not even sure if they hit the actual radar. Because despite having a drone in the air looking right at the system, the feed does not show the actual impact.

I mean, there's smoke, they probably hit something, but we very suspiciously do not see the impact on the radar.

You'd expect them to include that if it happened...

I mean, there's smoke, they probably hit something, but we very suspiciously do not see the impact on the radar.

You'd expect them to include that if it happened...
You have post-hit footage with the radar fairing damaged/gone. Given the delicate nature of the system - I don't think there is any need to guess.

I'm curious how they could find the system. Given that being phased array it's hard to locate via ESM's. The antenna appears to be either shut down or in sector scan mode for long dwell, long range scan and maybe CRAM mode.

Seems to have been an error.
The overview has been updated to correct that the laser target designators are for the VULCANO artillery munition, not for IRIS-T.

"He added that missile production was being tripled this year and would be further doubled next year, with an expected output of some 400 to 500 missiles from 2024."

It's rare we get to see production figures from European arms makers. So it looks like c200-250 per year is the current production rate, which has increased from c70-80 last year. Not a massive surprise from a brand new weapon system that had only just entered production. But given existing orders and usage in Ukraine its probably still not enough.

Can't imagine VL MICA is as high, and definitely not SAMP-T. I suspect at present that it's between IRIS-T family and CAMM/Asraam family as the largest production volume SAM/AAM in Europe at present. With I suspect CAMM having a lead given Asraam VI production and the recent orders from Poland, plus large UK order's to fulfil (I'm guessing the other CAMM orders are yet to start, or small like the RNZN's). With the large naval orders from Canada, Australia, Pakistan and Italian CAMM-ER orders to come I suspect it will be the one to beat in the future. The ESSI initiative could lead to more IRIS-T orders, but membership of that does not guarantee an order.

It will be interesting to see which direction Spain goes....they're tied to Germany for SCAF and use IRIS-T as an AAM, they'll have to buy 9X for F-35 (or Asraam, which would be very unlikely) but came close to ordering CAMM-ER for the F110 Frigates in 2016. They've got some older NASAMS launchers but haven't fully replaced the Aspide/Spada 2000, and cost of CAMM will be lower than NASAMS Amraam based missiles. Whatever happens they're going to have a real mish-mash of missiles...IRIS-T, AIM-9X. Amraam, Meteor, Patriot PAC2, ESSM Block I and II, SM2-MR, SM1-1MR, Aspide....

Given the fact that IRIS-T is never going to be on F-35 it might be that the SAM variant is the only major production variant going forward. Suspect rate of production and delivery is going to be a decisive factor in procurement in the coming years. No-one can afford to wait 5+ years for delivery safe in the knowledge that a major war 'probably' won't start....

Last edited:
It looks like that Korea wants to evolve Iris-T even more and atleast for Iris-T SLS is this interresting as Iris-T is Iris-T SLS. Maybe we See them giving it all the stuff that was "Said" for Iris-T FCAAM which would makes this an interresting development. Well we have to wait for it to even happen but Iris-T Looks to have a great Future.