Reaction score
The general designation system of the PLAAF seem to be simple
J or 歼 for fighters
H or 轰 for bombers
KJ or 空警 for airborne warning
Y or 运 for cargo
L or 练 for trainers
Q or 强 for ground attackers

However looking at every plaaf aircraft, the shenyang j-2 or mig-15 stands out by being the only aircraft being designated with a number lower than 5. Why is this? My personal theory on why every aircraft designation starts with 5 is that 4 is considered an unlucky number in China as it rhymes with death. Why the outlier with the j-2 than?

Last edited:
Actually, there was no such "J-2" in PLAAF. Today's PLAAF designation system was created in 1964. The first "J-" fighter is J-5, derived from MiG-17. Only the aircraft produced in China would be given PLAAF's designation and MiG-15 isn't in this category. MiG-15 in PLAAF was called MiG-15 simply.

In 1958, the PLAAF converted some MiG-15s to trainers, designated "MiG-15 UTI Mod", distinguished from the original MiG-15 UTI imported from the Soviet Union. Some references said those converted trainers were also designated "JJ-2" (Jianji Jiaolian 2, Interceptor-Trainer 2) after 1964. That could be source of the rumor that J-2 referred to MiG-15 in China.

Do you have any pictures of the MiG-15UTI Mod ?
1701087333753.png
From 《中国飞机全书》, I think that's a book of high authority.

The text in it:
……In 1958, in order to meet the need for training missions in aviation schools and the troops, the Air Force decided to convert the MiG-15 fighter into the MiG-15UTI two-seat trainer. The first aircraft was converted in November, and the follow-ons began in 1959. The Air Force called the converted ones "MiG-15UTI Mod" (乌米格-15改) distinguished from the original MiG-15UTI (乌米格-15). In September 1960, in order to solve the lack of RD-45 engines, some MiG-15UTIs were equipped with the USSR's VK-1A engines. In 1967, it was decided that the first 150 MiG-15UTIs would equipped with domestic WP-5B (涡喷-5乙) engines before 1969. The original MiG-15UTIs with different engines were called "MiG-15UTI Mod Engine" (乌米格-15改发). The two-seat trainers converted from the MiG-15s but with different engines were called "MiG-15UTI Mod Mod Engine" (乌米格-15改改发). MiG-15UTI was decommissioned on 8 August 1986.

The photo doesn't have any caption, so I don't know which variant of the MiG-15UTI.

Last edited:
MiG aircraft since 1937 by Yefim Gordon and Bill Gunston, Putnam 1998, says
- J-2 = MiG-15
- JJ-2 = MiG-15UTI (the only version built in China)
- J-4 = MiG-15bis

MiG aircraft since 1937 by Yefim Gordon and Bill Gunston, Putnam 1998, says
- J-2 = MiG-15
- JJ-2 = MiG-15UTI (the only version built in China)
- J-4 = MiG-15bis
The "J-1/2/3/4" are all the fake designations in PLAAF, none of them had been mentioned in official files or documents, although those are widely spread rumors even on Chinese websites. Perhaps they were unofficial designations called by the soldiers.

Plus, PLAAF hadn't built any MiG-15UTI, and they were all converted from the existing MiG-15s, so I doubt if there was a designation really called "JJ-2"... At least the book I have doesn't mention it. See my post above.

PLAAF hadn't built any MiG-15UTI, and they were all converted from the existing MiG-15s
Gordon and Gunston explicitly state hundreds of JJ2s were built ("the JJ-2 did go into production") in China, with 534 battle-damaged MiG-15 and MiG-15bis aircraft repaired at Shenyang during the Korean War ("but in fact these aircraft were never built in China").

Gordon and Gunston explicitly state hundreds of JJ2s were built ("the JJ-2 did go into production") in China, with 534 battle-damaged MiG-15 and MiG-15bis aircraft repaired at Shenyang during the Korean War ("but in fact these aircraft were never built in China").
I don't think foreign researchers had more accurate references than a retired general in the PLAAF though...

I would rate former general designer R.A. Belyakov with the MiG design bureau as an expert.
From MiG - Fifty years of secret aircraft design by Rostislav Belyakov and Jacques Marmain, Airlife 1994: "The UTI MiG-15 was mass-produced in the USSR, Czechoslovakia, Poland and China". Translation of the original French MiG 1939-1989, Docavia 1991.