"Design Evolution of VTHL Hypersonic Flight Vehicle Designs from Tsien’s Boost-Glide Concept to Sierra Nevada’s Orbital DreamChaser"

flateric

ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I LOVE Rana's work. His dissertation was published as "Designing Space Access Systems" in 2017, and includes some of what's in that paper. It is stunningly comprehensive. His project development maps are basically an Atlas of the weeds through which we forage here on these forums.

That file is too big to attach, apparently, but it can be downloaded here:

Great papers, but starting with Tsien and not even mentioning chinese hypersonic VTHL is certainly curious, especially since they now have more experience than Europe and Japan combined, and their current achievments don't come out of nowhere, while the history before the late 80s is rather muddled (but we have enough information to know that it was studied), There was, in 2016, definitely something to write about Project 863's spaceplane studies, shenlong, the RBS (China's "XS-1") or the various TSTO studied for the past 15 years by industries and universities (CASC, CASIC, Beihang U...)

Rana asked me to contribute with some more artworks, I was glad to help him with his work.

Dream Team! I frankly had not made the connection (nor caught Rana's explicit acknowledgement of your contributions) until now, so I'm glad you spoke up. My apologies! The graphics really communicate the "big picture" (argh) of what he's doing here, and I wished they were bigger. The overlap with your own work (which I also LOVE) is obvious in hindsight. Working on anything new you'd like to tease?

Working on anything new you'd like to tease?

You're too kind...

Yes, currently I'm working on my next book about Space Privatization along with my friend (and new co-author) Davide Sivolella.
Springer Nature should release it within the Q3 of this year.

Once I will get the release date I will advertize it here on SPF.

Back
Top Bottom