Deep ...........Deep Diving Vessels

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/02/science/02dive.html?_r=2&ref=science

A new generation of daredevils is seeking to plunge through nearly seven miles of seawater to the bottom of a rocky chasm in the western Pacific that is veiled in perpetual darkness. It is the ocean’s deepest spot. The forbidding place, known as the Challenger Deep, is so far removed from the warming rays of the sun that its temperature hovers near freezing.
dive-190px.jpg
EXPLORER The bathyscaphe Trieste plumbed the Challenger Deep in 1960. A window cracked, and the two Navy divers stayed only 20 minutes.

“When I was a kid, I loved not only amazing ocean exploration but space, too,” James Cameron, the director of “Avatar,” “Titanic” and “The Abyss,” said in an interview. “I can think of no greater fantasy than to be an explorer and see what no human eye has seen before.”
The would-be explorers can afford to live their dreams because of their extraordinarily deep pockets. Significantly, their ambitions far exceed those of the world’s seafaring nations, which have no plans to send people so deep.

Okay, so there's two (2) guys been to the bottom of the Challenger Deep, and twelve (12) to the Moon.

IIRC, China is quietly testing a bathyscaphe or Alvin-clone to leave their skid marks down there, and has firm plans to adapt the space station modules they'll start building real-soon for a lunar mission.

Be horribly ironic if one or more free-enterprise groups beat them to both targets...

Slightly OT, but I reckon the Chinese will take the chance of their crew being grilled by a solar flare and go for Mars regardless...

I think the Chicoms will go for a cannonball style loop of the moon first, for the propaganda value. I do not understand why the Russians don't offer the same trip for sale for say 50 million to interested western millionaires.