I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Title: Das Jagdflugzeug Messerschmitt Bf109
Subtitle: Technik / Eigenschaften / Leistung / Stückzahlen / Bewährung
Author(s): Baumgartl, Michael
Language: German
Collection:
Hardcover: 1032 pages
Publisher: Eigenverlag (Self Published) (2022)
Dimensions: 30.0 x 21.0 x--.-
ISBN-10:
ISBN-13: 978-3000699443

Any sample pages from this book available online?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a review from another site:

I have just received the book, and have only started to digest it. However, I must say that from my first impression, I'm extremely impressed. Everything appears to be exceptionally thoroughly researched with extremely detailed references to original documentation, and discussion of pretty much every previously published book on the Bf 109. As far as the technical development and characteristics of the Bf 109 are concerned, this book really seems to be it, and I don't see it being eclipsed anytime soon (if ever). Being primarily a technical resource, mostly concerned with engineering and performance, it could have done with some more original engineering drawings and performance graphs, but since the book is self-published, I assume the fairly limited amount of figures may be due to financial considerations.
Regarding W.Nr blocks: the book has a very extensive discussion of production numbers, per producer, per subtype, and per year, including foreign-built aircraft. However, unfortunately, a discussion of W.Nr. blocks associated with each production ring appears to be missing.
One thing that is interesting is that the author does not seem to be aware of the photograph of Erla-built Bf 109 K-4/R6 W.Nr 570 375, or the unfinished Erla K-4 fuselages dumped outside the station in Plauen at the end of the war, stating instead that only one Erla K-4 was produced in February 1945 (W.Nr. 570 362). This is somewhat surprising, given that the image of 570 375 has been available online for about a decade now, and the image of the unfinished fuselages near Plauen was fist published back in 1973 in Hitchcock's 'O-Nine Gallery'.
Notwithstanding these minor niggles, this book really appears to be the best and most complete reference on the technical aspects of the Messerschmitt Bf 109 by a large measure. It's a must for any Bf 109 fanatic, and if you have an interest in technical matters, you surely won't be disappointed!

I have read that review on that forum. I would still like to see some sample pages, including the table of contents.

From what I have read online about this book is that it seems to be almost entirely text, not much photos or images so not for modellers or for the coffee table.

The Christian Schmidt website states:
"The subject of this extensive book is the description of the technical development of all types of the Bf 109 as well as their performance and flight characteristics as well as the respective engines and their technical characteristics (for example spark plug ventilation and the negative effects of "bad" fuel, because of the not sufficient octane rating).
The presented results are based on sources that are quoted exactly, so that they can be understood or serve as a starting point for the reader's own research.
In addition, the presentation deals critically with the literature on this topic.
A must have for aircraft-enthusiasts, but not especially for modellers because of the low number of pictures!!
23 pages with illustrations from manuals and technical drawings
Pages: 1.032
Dimensions: 30 x 21,5 cm
"

The Berliner Zinnfiguren website states:
"18 sw- und Farbabb. aus zeitgenössischen Dokumenten"

On the Luftwaffe Research Group website someone has the book but does not give much details:
"Note though that is basically a self publish, almost as if someone printed the pages at home, so do not expect shiny heavy gloss paper. But its understandable otherwise the price would skyrocket with an 1000+ page book. And the content more than makes up for it, its fresh, its original, and a lot of new material (and some familiar), even for die hard 109 fans.
I meant primary sources as references, everything from manuals, field experience reports, company reports, flight tests, BAMA, PRO/NA, NASM documents being referenced on all pages in frightening detail. There is heavy reliance on the original documents, with some additions from the best available books / secondary sources.
To give you an idea, there are 33 pages alone on DB 605 A development and how various issues were tested and fixed. Apprx. 30% of those pages are just spent indexing the primary sources used
."

The book seems to be technical but it is not clear to me how that is possible with only a limited amount of drawings or other images. In any case it seems to be well researched and referenced.

It is on my list but I decided to wait until I have seen the Table of Contents.

Perhaps drawings are not listed as "bilder". It is my understanding that in German books "bilder" refer only to photos.

I hope this gets quickly translated into English. Some people fear that over 1000 pages makes it expensive to translate and produce, but here the design plays a part. I have Lyle Cummins's massive book (750 pages in large format) on submarine diesels up to 1945. The book is massive, but it's design is so wasteful (large font) that the same material could have easily been published within 350 pages (Calum's book designed the same way as Cummins's book would propably be more than 800 pages).

To pay a translator who REALLY knows his stuff, to do a book of 1000 pages, could not be done for much less than £10,000 GBP I would say. (you get firms in India and so on who will promise to do it for about £3000, but the result will not be joyful to read.

Its incredibly expensive to do very very good translations.

The software is very good now, but still falls over with technical terminology and must be fully proof read, all the little fixes take a very long time. The alternative (which I think is the only way with such books) is to find a very very enthusiastic retired multi-lingual friend and buy him a couple of crates of expensive single malt scotch then be prepared to wait a long time for the result.

Personally, in English, I have not read anything I would describe as actually good on the 109 (although I have not read every single one, it is true). So I am sure a gap exists for it in English, indeed the market would be dramatically larger than the German market.

That Plan B would be the feasible option. That's the route taken for example by a Finnish publisher who has used retired AF pilots and such as translators. Even a former Finnish AF C-in-C has done some such work.

I strongly doubt that this book would appear in English. The USAAF had to produce a book of translations for German technical words and terms. As Calum Douglas notes, the cost of an accurate translation would be high.

I strongly doubt that this book would appear in English. The USAAF had to produce a book of translations for German technical words and terms. As Calum Douglas notes, the cost of an accurate translation would be high.
Didn't you see Calum's "Plan B"? To use a multi-lingual retired friend. That is how several German memoirs have been translated into Finnish and published by a very small company. The translators have been enthusiasts (e.g. a former Finnish AF pilot) who are linguistically capable and do translating almost as a hobby.

Hi Ed,

The USAAF had to produce a book of translations for German technical words and terms.

Do you happen to know the title of this book? Sounds it would be quite a useful resource even today.

I'm only familiar with the brief American/British dictionary that appears as an appendix in some aircraft manuals :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Back
Top Bottom