Darkstar hypersonic plane from Top Gun 2: Maveric

“Top Gun’s” Darkstar Hypersonic Jet:
Is it Real? Real Enough​

By David Olson
There has been a lot of talk about the blockbuster movie, “Top Gun: Maverick,” and the featured hypersonic jet, Darkstar, that propels Tom Cruise to the edge of the atmosphere at Mach 10.2. Were special effects used to capture the drama? Of course, but there was also a lot of realism. The Darkstar plane is a model, but just barely. It is a 70-foot-long full-scale rolling model with a 40-foot wingspan. It is based on aerospace design principles, built using carbon fiber, has functional landing gear, and features a realistic cockpit. The Darkstar was designed by Lockheed Martin Skunk Works and precision built by ADM Works in Orange County, Calif.
The fabrication of Darkstar was completed by ADM Works in just 14 weeks. The Skunk Works team provided a comprehensive 3D CAD model that included all profile information and intelligent GD&T specifications. From that point, it was up to the fabrication team to bring the model to life. The project was not without challenges. Up close the plane had to look finished. It did not have to fly, but it did have to roll on the functional landing gear.
The design of the Darkstar included a realistic looking and ergonomically correct cockpit, controls dashboard, and canopy lenses, which were precision built from carbon fiber using layup tooling. The tooling was fabricated and then verified against the CAD model using Verisurf. This added an extra element of reality to the overall model.
The Darkstar landing gear was not designed to retract but does support the model, enabling it to be towed behind a vehicle for filming“The final result goes beyond movie magic, Darkstar viewed close up is hard to distinguish from a flight-ready platform,” Valdivieso said

Attachments

• darkstar-aft-fuselage.jpg
    darkstar-aft-fuselage.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 142
  • darkstar-crew-station.jpg
    darkstar-crew-station.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 86
  • darkstar-empennage.jpg
    darkstar-empennage.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 80
  • darkstar-landing-gear.jpg
    darkstar-landing-gear.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 69
  • Javier-Valdivieso-wSkunkWorks-logo.jpg
    Javier-Valdivieso-wSkunkWorks-logo.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 63
  • large-aircraft-tool-verisurf.jpg
    large-aircraft-tool-verisurf.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 62
  • verisurf-large-volume-scanning.jpg
    verisurf-large-volume-scanning.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 58
  • verisurf-using-laser-tracker.jpg
    verisurf-using-laser-tracker.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 91
Real enough for fictional entertainment, for whatever that is worth.
AKA: They gave it the Hollywood treatment, just like in Stealth that abomination F/A-37 Talon looks like a Switchblade that was badly mangled by Megatron in the afternath of a half hearted attempt to destroy it. Same case applies here, seemingly :mad:
The aircraft was lowered to make it look even more streamlined.

Attachments

• d7b34c635385c79e7520b531d99ddd92.jpg
    d7b34c635385c79e7520b531d99ddd92.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 98
  • switchblade-plane-6-b.jpg
    switchblade-plane-6-b.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 115
From the side view…it looks like the Serenity on a starvation diet.

Everyone knows the real hypersonic plane is just a scaled up X-1 with straight wings made of adamantium/beskar alloy as a middle finger to Earth’s atmosphere:

You can’t melt me..nyah!

So when do we get the model kit, or at least a good quality, good sized die cast miniature?

Attachments

• darkstar_by_jetfreak_7_dfd5g64-fullview.jpg
    darkstar_by_jetfreak_7_dfd5g64-fullview.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 55
  • speed_demon_by_jetfreak_7_dg0prox-fullview.jpg
    speed_demon_by_jetfreak_7_dg0prox-fullview.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 50
  • darkest_night_by_jetfreak_7_dfkp13i-fullview.jpg
    darkest_night_by_jetfreak_7_dfkp13i-fullview.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 70
Why would they have a movie prop near anything remotely interesting? So it could accidentally appear in a movie?
Happened to be under the new ground track. The Object of Interest could be clear over in Timbuktu and the new ground track went over China Lake an orbit or two later.

How easy would it be to land I wonder, assuming it was real?
I'd assume a camera to provide forward vision, like on the X-59 quiet boom plane.

Happened to be under the new ground track. The Object of Interest could be clear over in Timbuktu and the new ground track went over China Lake an orbit or two later.

I'd assume a camera to provide forward vision, like on the X-59 quiet boom plane.
You can fly it in the current microsoft Flight sim.

It has a front facing type camera thing,

Attachments

• AIAA-2023-3518-TopGunCommentary-final-final.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
Do they repaint it after each run, or is that some 2000 Celsius resistant paint? I think we should be told.

Flying with Eyes Wide Shut - A Reflection on the Hollywood View of Real World Aircraft Performance

Timothy T. Takahashi
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, 85281

Amusing paper, but the fact that it references 38 sources in the text but only lists 37 makes me question the seriousness of this apparently not peer reviewed publication.

I found the paper laughable. Of course the performance of the aircraft were exaggerated…its Hollywood!