Current US hypersonic weapons projects. (General)

In regards to the Dark Eagle does anyone know what its' tri-services designation will be? Also who's making its' rocket-motors, what are their Mk numbers and are any of their technical specifications known aside from its' diameter (34.5")?

In regards to the Dark Eagle does anyone know what its' tri-services designation will be? Also who's making its' rocket-motors, what are their Mk numbers and are any of their technical specifications known aside from its' diameter (34.5")?

The training canisters had markings indicating a launch weight of 16,300 lbs (20,500 full, 4200 spent). A US Army statement indicated a range of 1750 miles, though that obviously is a gray area - absolute range would probably be when the entire glider fell out of controlled flight, which I would guess would not happen until subsonic speeds. So "range" probably is related to how fast you want the projectile to be moving over the target or even more likely was chosen to include Taiwan from Guam but not extend to the China for political reasons.

Lockheed is the Integrator with Northrop Grumman making the SRMs and Dynetics delivering the CHGB. The SRMs are actually 32.5” in diameter. As to your other questions, someone else will have to answer those.

The lefthand side of the second photograph shows what appears to be the forward half of the missile's launch-booster.

That image makes the glider stage look almost cylindrical, though that may be just a trick of the angle.

Something I just noticed looking at the picture in the Drive article more closely - what appears to be the rear fins of the glider have a weird diamond shaped trailing edge that strikes me as an RCS reduction feature. It had occurred to me previously that a wave rider configuration would probably be naturally fairly low radar return, given the chinned nose, very streamlined control surfaces, and overall small size. About the only major reflective feature would be in the intake. The look of those fins make me wonder if a conscious effort was made to reduce the detection range. If you could make the scoop out of composites, or even just the leading edge to allow a metal saw tooth backing (NSM does this), then the overall missile would probably have a very small RCS. If you could delay initial detection down to something like 100mi/150km, that would make HACM enormously difficult to intercept given the short reaction time.

Something I just noticed looking at the picture in the Drive article more closely - what appears to be the rear fins of the glider have a weird diamond shaped trailing edge that strikes me as an RCS reduction feature.
It's just aerodynamics plus structural strength driven design like fins on ATACMS.

About the only major reflective feature would be in the intake

When you are designing for low RCS you want to prioritize being as reflective as possible. You want to reflect energy in a way that minimizes what comes back to the receiver.

Something I just noticed looking at the picture in the Drive article more closely - what appears to be the rear fins of the glider have a weird diamond shaped trailing edge that strikes me as an RCS reduction feature.
What's the point of RCS shaping at the rear. if you are looking at a hypersonic missile's rear, whatever its intended target is in flame before you could form the next thought of what to do.

What that article is not seeming to understand is how small the intercept "bucket" is for a hypersonic target. The launcher needs to be very close to the target or hypersonic flight path in order to be able to hit. I've seen drawings that show the defender needs to be within 10km of the target to be able to get a missile in place to hit.

This means that basically every possible target needs its own missile battery, you can't cover targets 50 miles away anymore.