Current Nuclear Weapons Development

As far as I know, just make an email enquiry with the website and you should find out, if it's still available I strongly recommend buying a copy.
I used to have his book. I know how good the stuff is. :)

I used to have his book. I know how good the stuff is. :)

The 1988 book is obsolete, in between its publication and the publication of the 2nd Ed. of his CD-ROM he'd discovered a LOT of new information, unfortunately we'll never have a 3rd, 4th or 5th edition because he died from a brain tumour in March 2003 (It's been 20 years since Chuck Hansen has died:().

Last edited:
Well if he does so I won't be surprised if president Biden then orders the DoE to carry a series of LONG overdue nuclear-tests at the NPG (But only after the Russians have detonated a test-device).
I would. Nothing would anger his base more than a nuclear detonation. It would also make it look like he's losing 'control'.

My suspicion is that putin tries to use a test to forestall the next increment of aid to ukraine from the USA, as that actually helps his strategic objective.

Last edited:
I know, this makes Putin's move a symbolic gesture, now the question is will Putin be bold and reckless enough to ignore international opinion and order a new underground nuclear test series?

I believe the Russian FM already has stated that the Russians won’t be first to test again. I think it unlikely they test, for the moment. It doesn’t buy them anything.

Well if he does so I won't be surprised if president Biden then orders the DoE to carry a series of LONG overdue nuclear-tests at the NPG (But only after the Russians have detonated a test-device).

Not sure the Administration does that. It doesn’t really buy the US anything. Perhaps when there is a newish design to test for the new strategic systems (w80 mod 4, W87 mod whatever), but detonating a warhead just to blow something up probably doesn’t play well domestically or internationally.

I believe the Russian FM already has stated that the Russians won’t be first to test again.

I wouldn't put much stock in what the Russian FM says, Putin and company have proved they'll lie when it suits themselves.

I know, this makes Putin's move a symbolic gesture, now the question is will Putin be bold and reckless enough to ignore international opinion and order a new underground nuclear test series?
Considering what has happened with conventional systems from even the active and ready to use inventory, the Russian military itself must be asking for tests.
Short version, they have become aware that they don't know if the nukes are actually in operable condition.
The official records likely show everything is within normal parameters. But those records showed conventional systems were so at the start and many proved to not be in reality.

Short version, they have become aware that they don't know if the nukes are actually in operable condition.

Basically how many of their tactical nuclear warheads might prove to be duds because they haven't been properly stored and serviced since the fall of the Soviet Union. I can see Putin ordering underground tests of them to see that they won't fizzle.

Last edited:
Considering what has happened with conventional systems from even the active and ready to use inventory, the Russian military itself must be asking for tests.
The official records likely show everything is within normal parameters. But those records showed conventional systems were so at the start and many proved to not be in reality.
Well, let's be honest for a moment here. Nobody wants nukes to detonate unless the Powers That Be have declared that it is time. This means fuses designed to only go bang when positively commanded to do so. This also means a relatively high dud rate, for all those times that the complicated fuses didn't have all parts get the memo that this detonation was positively commanded. And that's even when everything is working correctly!

Basically how many of their tactical nuclear warheads might prove to be duds because they haven't been properly stored and serviced since the fall of the Soviet Union. I can Putin ordering underground tests of them to see that they won't fizzle.

I suspect special weapons are held to a higher standard than conventional weapons. Also there likely is a lot less opportunity for corruption with nuclear weapons. It's not like you can sell a spare rocket motor or gyroscope as easy as ammunition, fuel, and tires.

I suspect special weapons are held to a higher standard than conventional weapons. Also there likely is a lot less opportunity for corruption with nuclear weapons. It's not like you can sell a spare rocket motor or gyroscope as easy as ammunition, fuel, and tires.
Barring the suitcase nukes being easy to sell off as an entire package...

But again, due to the very nature of the fuses and detonators, unless you are prepared for unintended detonations you end up designing fuses with a high dud rate.

As the detonics engineers say: "If the ordnance must absolutely, positively detonate when commanded, I can do that. If the ordnance must NOT EVER detonate when not commanded, I can do that. If you want both, we need to talk."

I can't imagine SSBNs were out there popping wheelies even when they were young. :)
Happens a few times. Kentucky ended up spending 3 weeks at Flank to get one dude close enough to the coast for him to be medevaced, 1 week there and 2 weeks back to where we were supposed to be in the middle of the pacific.

Georgia was at the point where the CO was under orders to not burn too many neutrons. Could still pop the occasional wheelie, but no long sprints.

"VANDENBERG SPACE FORCE BASE, Calif. --
Space Launch Delta 30 safely terminated an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile over the Pacific Ocean at 12:06 a.m. Pacific Time Nov. 1, due to an anomaly during a test launch from Vandenberg Space Force Base, California."

This would be the third Minuteman 3 failure since 2010 in 43 launches, and the second during the past six years over 20 flights, much worse than the traditional failure rate for these missile tests. In addition, a single Minotaur 2+ attempt failed and four orbital Minotaur 1 launches succeeded during the 2010-2023 period. One of the triad legs looks wobbly.

- Ed Kyle

"VANDENBERG SPACE FORCE BASE, Calif. --
Space Launch Delta 30 safely terminated an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile over the Pacific Ocean at 12:06 a.m. Pacific Time Nov. 1, due to an anomaly during a test launch from Vandenberg Space Force Base, California."

This would be the third Minuteman 3 failure since 2010 in 43 launches, and the second during the past six years over 20 flights, much worse than the traditional failure rate for these missile tests. In addition, a single Minotaur 2+ attempt failed and four orbital Minotaur 1 launches succeeded during the 2010-2023 period. One of the triad legs looks wobbly.

- Ed Kyle
How long has it been since the rocket motors were made? Even living in a silo, they're life limited.

Cracked solid rocket motors have a rather exciting and impressive failure mode.

How long has it been since the rocket motors were made? Even living in a silo, they're life limited.

Cracked solid rocket motors have a rather exciting and impressive failure mode.
All of the deployed MMIII SRMs were refreshed during the Propulsion Replacement Program (2001 - 2009). Keep in mind that tests of assets that have been removed from service have shown performance within family past 30 years. I think individual motors have been tested past 50 years.