Current mystery aircrafts/urban legends

I'm sure a few have already seen this but some decent investigation has revealed a decent copy of the Scottish UAP photograph from the early 90's.

View attachment 682519
Fascinating, and I’m glad after all these years the original picture has been found.

Some interesting background info about this story; https://drdavidclarke.co.uk/

But does anyone have any idea what we’re looking at? I would love to hear everybody’s theories but my initial stance with these kind of things is that it’s fake until proven real. If this picture turns out to really show a classified aircraft, people who are in the know will come forward in the coming weeks.

Seems to me like it's an optical illusion -- what they call a "fata morgana" or "superior mirage." So you're seeing a roughly cone-shaped island and its reflection on the water, apparently elevated by refraction. And a plane flying in the foreground.

note to 1993, RAF Mildenhall

is USAF-RAF joint operation base
from 1970s to 1991 were U-2 and SR-71 station here.
Of the Detachment 4 form the 9. Strategic Reconnaissance Wing ( Beale AFB.)
who were supported by KC-135 tanker also station at RAF Mildenhall.
after cold war the the 100th Air Refueling Wing of USAFE use base now.

speaking of which what the hell was this in 1993, approaching RAF Mildenhall Runway 28 (from the east) according to this RAF Buccaneer pilot who lived several miles away on that flight path from the base. He at the time was a Squadron Leader and in his book
Cool tale but again human memory plays tricks - the Boscombe Down incident was in 1994.

I'm sure a few have already seen this but some decent investigation has revealed a decent copy of the Scottish UAP photograph from the early 90's.

View attachment 682519
Fascinating, and I’m glad after all these years the original picture has been found.

But does anyone have any idea what we’re looking at? I would love to hear everybody’s theories but my initial stance with these kind of things is that it’s fake until proven real. If this picture turns out to really show a classified aircraft, people who are in the know will come forward in the coming weeks.

Seems to me like it's an optical illusion -- what they call a "fata morgana" or "superior mirage." So you're seeing a roughly cone-shaped island and its reflection on the water, apparently elevated by refraction. And a plane flying in the foreground.

With a plane following and no lake in view?
This site has been identified as where the photo was taken from

Attachments

• 1671044775902.png
    1671044775902.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 316

View attachment 682519

With a plane following and no lake in view?
This site has been identified as where the photo was taken from

I wasn't familiar with the specific location, but yes, that same phenomenon could well be at work. It doesn't have to be an island, even. You can get all sorts of interesting optical mirages that look like this, even over land.

note to 1993, RAF Mildenhall

is USAF-RAF joint operation base
from 1970s to 1991 were U-2 and SR-71 station here.
Of the Detachment 4 form the 9. Strategic Reconnaissance Wing ( Beale AFB.)
who were supported by KC-135 tanker also station at RAF Mildenhall.
after cold war the the 100th Air Refueling Wing of USAFE use base now.

There is an raf squadron leader for the legalities as the USAFE lease the land on the base like with all usafe bases in uk such as Alconbury, (covers Croughton, FAirford / Welford, Menwith Hill, Molesworth) Lakenheath (covers Feltwell)

Mildenhall to the 100th air refuelling wing, (KC-135R/T) so here of my photos recently

288713924_10160549663906490_2814729049517171107_n.jpg

288679370_10160549663866490_3164366809189481280_n.jpg

352nd special ops wing (CV-22B Osprey, MC-130J Commando II)

13315405_10154686243956490_2976647308578271556_n.jpg

13344729_10154686243976490_5907040353368173367_n.jpg

11156201_10153791709511490_7697126728619110451_n.jpg

11150180_10153791709576490_1498972959256948531_n.jpg

host of other units such as 95th recon squadron (RC-135U/V/W odd WC-135W, OC-135B) rotation detachments, etc etc...so my photo of the last ever OC-135W Constant Phoenix back in april /may here at Mildenhall before it retired

277159261_10160383578881490_8446161737864563456_n.jpg

277167659_10160383578626490_2282800318296680654_n.jpg

det 4 at Mildenhall for SR-71 ended 1989/1990 with retirement of blackbird along with their KC-135Q

U-2 were at Mildenhall for wee while early 70s then SR-71 came in...the U-2/TR-1 moved to RAF Alconbury in mid 80s, and stayed till early 1990s with impending closure of airfield side.

cheers

Last edited:
speaking of which what the hell was this in 1993, approaching RAF Mildenhall Runway 28 (from the east) according to this RAF Buccaneer pilot who lived several miles away on that flight path from the base. He at the time was a Squadron Leader and in his book
Cool tale but again human memory plays tricks - the Boscombe Down incident was in 199
true, but what went into Mildenhall that day....

mate of mine whose local born and raised and vivid enthusiast, said he was finishing late one night, or starting work stupid o clock ---3/4 am early 1990s and couldnt drive on the road past RAF Lakenheath as our Ministry of Defence Police and local police sealed off the whole road and something mystery had landed.

cheers

View attachment 682519

Fata Morgana is a strange thing. Some years ago I took a movie of what my eyes perceived as a two masted sailing ship about 20 to 22 miles to the southeast across Lake Superior from where I was filming. This seemed highly suspect as it was taken in mid November about four months after tourist season and it would be really rare to see anything like that out on the lake like that except an ore carrier or other large vessel.

I used a 200mm lens with a 2x teleconverter for an effective 400mm throw. If you watch the video you can see the sails but not the vessel. Today I wonder if it wasn't a sort of fata morgana of something on the far shore. You watch and decide for yourself. I think think it was a vessel of some sort but can't be sure of what it was:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4wWd7NHB-8

So yeah, strange.

In the Behind The Scenes of Top Gun: Maverick interview (interview) it is revealed that several components used for the Darkstar cockpit have very interesting origins:

"That stick is from a prototype plane that did 2 flights, and we'll never know what it was. There is components in that plane that only like, secret cleared top players people know what they're from"

hmmmm... Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 20-25-15 Inside the Set Top Gun Maverick Jan Pascale SDSA & Jeremy Hi...png
    Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 20-25-15 Inside the Set Top Gun Maverick Jan Pascale SDSA & Jeremy Hi...png
    338.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 20-25-28 Inside the Set Top Gun Maverick Jan Pascale SDSA & Jeremy Hi...png
    Screenshot 2023-01-06 at 20-25-28 Inside the Set Top Gun Maverick Jan Pascale SDSA & Jeremy Hi...png
    448.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 00-04-07 Inside the Set Top Gun Maverick Jan Pascale SDSA & Jeremy Hi...png
    Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 00-04-07 Inside the Set Top Gun Maverick Jan Pascale SDSA & Jeremy Hi...png
    397.4 KB · Views: 172
Most likely components that are at the very least two decades old...
And at maximum, some may be nearing three decades old(at least the stick, can't be older than that, no earlier than the Lockheed- Martin-Marrietta merge in 1994) Why do i have the feeling that most of these parts are sourced from craft that saw their heyday in the 90s?
the 90s/Or simple props/commercial simulators.
Could be. Albeit a boring possibility that makes the whole matter less exciting.

In the Behind The Scenes of Top Gun: Maverick interview (interview) it is revealed that several components used for the Darkstar cockpit have very interesting origins:

"That stick is from a prototype plane that did 2 flights, and we'll never know what it was. There is components in that plane that only like, secret cleared top players people know what they're from"

hmmmm... Thoughts?
We’re only 7 days into 2023 but it’s a very promising start with regards to the ‘Things That Never Happened’.

It’s going to be a good year.

hmmmm... Thoughts?
I've taken a look at a few LM products and as far as I can tell, the closest thing that cloche/hotas resembles is the ones on the F-117 and SR-71.
But it's not either of those, even though there is some recognizable lineage.
Later aircraft by Lockheed do not show similar features.
150716-F-IO108-002.JPG

150716-F-IO108-001.JPG

SR-71_flight_instruments.triddle.jpg

HD-wallpaper-sr71-blackbird-sr71-aircraft-blackbird-cockpit-controls.jpg

If it's real and it only made 2 flights, it must have been a really problematic thing to fly.

The "Chrome Raptor" might not be a mystery anymore, SMG Consulting seems to confirm in a response tweet that the Chrome Raptor is a testbed for future experimental paints and coatings that aim to greatly reduce visual detection, making the aircraft harder to see in the Visible Spectrum

View: https://twitter.com/SMG_Consulting/status/1616152711308931073/photo/1

View attachment 691402

Nope.
I see, that may be so, but there seems to be some credit to it, as SMC Consulting might have some ties to the USAF, to a certain degree

Attachments

• 525f.jpg
    525f.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 163
SMG Consulting seems to confirm in a response tweet that the Chrome Raptor is a testbed for future experimental paints and coatings that aim to greatly reduce visual detection,

View attachment 691402
Visual stealth? Sure!
Ok let's do Project Yehudi all over again....
I was gonna ask what's Project Yehudi, but I looked it up, and based from its basic objectives, it seems to be that the Chrome Raptor might be a testbed for said project, which may go to the NGAD.

Whether that's fully true or not, remains unknown, and up for speculation. But I do think the concept might be interesting...somewhat.

re my post from the Buccaneer pilot autobiography, his sighting of mystery a/c inbound to RAF Mildenhall in 1993, I came across this article

and it was about potentially mystery US a/c that very year

cheers

More photos of the "equipment" used in the Darkstar cockpit mockup from TOP GUN MAVERICK: PRODUCTION DESIGN BY JEREMY HINDLE, page 13 (https://tinyurl.com/2drkevbx) Sadly, the pdf is low res crap, so it is very difficult to make out details. What still most intrigues me is the stick. I could be be hilariously wrong in my attempt to decode pixelated text , forgive me if that's the case.

VOICE(??) ACTIVATION TRIGGER...
NOTE: NOSE WHEEL STEERING..
PADDLE SWITCH.... ...Currently...

NOTE: It's a graphic/genuine??? logo?...

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    500.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Parts.png
    Parts.png
    689.3 KB · Views: 81
  • Mysteryflightstick.png
    Mysteryflightstick.png
    398.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Mysteryflightstick2.png
    Mysteryflightstick2.png
    464.8 KB · Views: 106
I read an article about the producers of the film using a seat for the darkstar from another classified or decommissioned bird that was going to be thrown away but the person who was responsible for designs for things in the film asked if it could be used for the filming process and was agreed. Interesting to say the least.

SMG Consulting seems to confirm in a response tweet that the Chrome Raptor is a testbed for future experimental paints and coatings that aim to greatly reduce visual detection,

View attachment 691402
Visual stealth? Sure!
Optical pocket sand
Sort of like early F-22 and F-35 flying with radar reflectors added to wing tips to reflect huge primary returns to leave bad guys guessing as to the true "stealthy" nature of those birds.
Soviets, Chinese, etc. all had well-equipped observers lining the airport fence the firs time any of those birds flew for the first few times.

View attachment 691402
Visual stealth? Sure!
Ok let's do Project Yehudi all over again....
I was gonna ask what's Project Yehudi, but I looked it up, and based from its basic objectives, it seems to be that the Chrome Raptor might be a testbed for said project, which may go to the NGAD.

Whether that's fully true or not, remains unknown, and up for speculation. But I do think the concept might be interesting...somewhat.
Project Yehudi installed bright lights on the leading edges of B-24 Liberators that were hunting for U-boats during the Battle of the Atlantic (1939 - 1945). Since North Atlantic skies are a pale gray during winter, they found that any paint scheme created dark shadows, so they added bright lights to match the dull background. Since Yehudi lights were invented around the same time as radar, they were never placed in production.
For comparison, the most effective camouflage paint turned out to be the dirty white paint applied to Maritime Command's B-24s, Catalinas and Sunderlands.

Project Yehudi installed bright lights on the leading edges of B-24 Liberators that were hunting for U-boats during the Battle of the Atlantic (1939 - 1945). Since North Atlantic skies are a pale gray during winter, they found that any paint scheme created dark shadows, so they added bright lights to match the dull background. Since Yehudi lights were invented around the same time as radar, they were never placed in production.
For comparison, the most effective camouflage paint turned out to be the dirty white paint applied to Maritime Command's B-24s, Catalinas and Sunderlands.
Interesting. Maybe that's why I've heard some theories about the US Military attempting to develop color-changing paint as a form of active camouflage as well. If combined with stealth characteristics, and if the paint itself is comprised of RAM, then it should be an effective form of stealth. However, it's still gonna take a lot of time for such tech to come out though, unless they already have it, and they're just keeping it under wraps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bird Of Prey...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 16-50-20 Boeing Bird of Prey - Wikipedia.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 16-50-20 Boeing Bird of Prey - Wikipedia.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 126
Interesting. Maybe that's why I've heard some theories about the US Military attempting to develop color-changing paint as a form of active camouflage as well. If combined with stealth characteristics, and if the paint itself is comprised of RAM, then it should be an effective form of stealth. However, it's still gonna take a lot of time for such tech to come out though, unless they already have it, and they're just keeping it under wraps.
Shhhhhhhhhhhh!

Shhhhhhhhhhhh!
Sorry man, sometimes, theorizing and speculating can hit the jackpot, like some of these so-called Conspiracy Theories turning out to be true. But I doubt that happened yet, because they obviously know much more than we do, and they're not letting any of us know, for good reasons, I hope.

Attachments

• the tooth 1_edited-3.jpg
    the tooth 1_edited-3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 143
Crazy insane tale! Make what you want of it, but it's a narrative that, of course, needs to be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism: https://www.dreamlandresort.com/forum/messages/56499.html
View attachment 695151

Following that thread there is a continuation of the story with a photo of the alleged flying "Megalodon Tooth", taken by Smythers in 2019.

Is this real or fake?
The sighting is BS - you can not accurately estimate distances and altitudes from the ground. Also, you can not see details while looking at an object from 10-15 km’s away.

The picture is very, very interesting, but we need a more detailed picture. The fact it’s flying in daylight with a contrail should provide us with more sightings and pictures, like what happened with the RQ-180 - if the picture is real of course.

I sort of criticized him for posting a picture (allegedly taken by someone he knew not himself) and greatly edited and also greatly zoomed in with line drawings over the image.

He then posted a picture that was unedited. Now that was modestly interesting and unfortunately taken by a many year old
cellphone. The sighting was vertical as if it was flying overhead and whoever took the shot did it in selfie orientation.

I've practiced taking movies of flights overhead for years in case something interesting flies over an I'm guessing this is a 5 year old or more phone camera. Too bad. My 3 year old iPhone 12 ProMax does a far better job of providing clarity to such a photograph. But, I guess this is better than nothing.
tooth.jpeg

Last edited: