This went up today:
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/images/media/Kingfish_Final_1267828237_8825.jpg

Drawing of final concept design for Kingfish (circa 1959). The Convair design competed against the winning Lockheed entry for what eventually became the A-12—a forerunner of the SR-71 'Blackbird.' Kingfish had a gross weight of 103,200 pounds and could carry 62,750 pounds of fuel and a 400-pound payload. The specifications also indicated a cruising speed of Mach 3.2 at an altitude of 87,700 feet. Kingfish reports and drawings were declassified in 1986 and have received only limited public distribution.

Attachments

• Kingfish_Final_1267828237_8825.jpg
    Kingfish_Final_1267828237_8825.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 613
Drawing of final concept design for Kingfish (circa 1959). The Convair design competed against the winning Lockheed entry for what eventually became the A-12—a forerunner of the SR-71 'Blackbird.' Kingfish had a gross weight of 103,200 pounds and could carry 62,750 pounds of fuel and a 400-pound payload. The specifications also indicated a cruising speed of Mach 3.2 at an altitude of 87,700 feet. Kingfish reports and drawings were declassified in 1986 and have received only limited public distribution.

Caption

Good information can be found in From Rainbow to Gusto by Paul A Suhler.

Ed

quellish said:
This went up today:
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/images/media/Kingfish_Final_1267828237_8825.jpg

Nice RF blocker there in the intake. ;)

another weekend gift from CodeOne staff

Source: http://www.codeonemagazine.com/gallery_slideshow.html?item_id=19

Attachments

• 19590926_Kingfish_Config_257_SM_1267828237_1869.jpg
    19590926_Kingfish_Config_257_SM_1267828237_1869.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 785
dsc_7999.jpg

AL said:
What's the vehicle on the lower right?

Convair's Dyna Soar I entry, which was derived from their RoBo studies, which were stablemates of the Super Hustler. However, the RoBo vehicles were about twice the size of the vehicles shown, and didn't comfortably fit in the quickly slapped-together layout.

More: http://www.up-ship.com/eAPR/ev2n4.htm

CodeOne rocks again

Super Hustler
The Convair Super Hustler was a Mach 4 strategic weapons delivery system designed in the late 1950s. The aircraft was to be carried and launched from below the B-58B -- a proposed, but never built, larger version of the B-58A Hustler. The two-part design consisted of a front manned capsule powered by two engines ramjet engines with a turbojet for subsonic flight and landing. The nose of the manned section would droop for visibility on landings. The expendable, unmanned rear section was powered by two ramjet engines and carried fuel for the outbound legs. The rear section was designed to detach and deliver a large weapon, carried in the nose. The fueled weight of the composite craft was 46,000 pounds.

Photo Posted: 1 December 2010

Attachments

• Super_Hustler_003_SM_1267828237_1386.jpg
    Super_Hustler_003_SM_1267828237_1386.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 703
Eric, nice to see you here! Thanks for all-new site. Any chances for old CodeOne articles will ever re-appear?

Orionblamblam said:
XP67_Moonbat said:
I sooooooooooooooooooo wish I had that model. Die-cast would be nice.

How about resin, 1/72 or 1/48?

Or fiberglass in 1/32 or 1/24 or 1/18?

I refer1/48 - can plug it into a 1/48 Hustler.

I would compromise with 1/72 however.
But I would also like some FISH !

Super-H

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/gallery_slideshow.html?gallery_id=91

note that the top speed was corrected. Working on article next.

codeone, you absolutely, positively, definitely R-O-C-K !!! Thank you so much for sharing this treasure.

Awesome - someone who obviously has the passion and is the one putting it together. You've made my day - thanks!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Definitive article on Super Hustler should be posted within next week or two on Code One Magazine website. Plan to update the photo gallery as well.

Convair FISH will follow.

codeone said:
Definitive article on Super Hustler should be posted within next week or two on Code One Magazine website. Plan to update the photo gallery as well.

Convair FISH will follow.

Can't wait!!

Thanks so much !!

Posting about 32 images related to Super Hustler program tomorrow (11 March). See super hustler on gallery link on codeonemagazine.com. 3500-word article should follow NLT Tuesday next week. Captions taken from the article. Next article covers FISH. Everything taken from primary sources.

Pictures already available and highly recommended!

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/gallery_slideshow.html?gallery_id=91

This is fantastic!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

shockonlip said:
Thanks codeone !!
WOW!
It's like Christmas in March !!

Yer kiddin'??

This is like Easter, Thanksgiving, Birthday and Christmas... all at the same time!!! ;D ;D ;D

Thank you so much, codeone, for allowing the legacy of Lockheed AND the companies it absorbed to live on!

WOW!

What an experience !!

To enjoy these designs and the nice writeup !! I'm going to
be reviewing these again and again.

Agree that this honors those Convair guys who worked these
programs back then. Thanks guys!! Man, you guys had great dreams !!
To think when I was a kid in the 1950's, this was what was going on
over at Convair Ft. Worth!

Also thanks codeone for your efforts !!

Is there an online magazine editorial award we can nominate
codeone for?

Thanks so much codeone !!

Looking forward to your continued efforts !!

Thanks for the nice comments!

Preserving the legacy is why we're doing this. A lot of people spent a lot of time on these projects a half century ago and were never recognized because of the status.

On to FISH.

Thank you for making these documents available to the public. It's good to see the bold thinking that was taking place over half a century ago. Lockheed Martin should be commended for supporting your effort.

Eric, will any of this appear in the print version of Code One or just online? I sure would like to see it on paper.

AL said:
Eric, will any of this appear in the print version of Code One or just online? I sure would like to see it on paper.

You could always print it out.