Saxavord has been granted its CAA launch license.

SaxaVord granted spaceport licence by UK Civil Aviation Authority
December 17, 2023

Shetland is first UK spaceport for vertical rocket launches

View: https://twitter.com/saxavord_space/status/1736393982811181084

We are absolutely thrilled to have been awarded our spaceport licence by the UK Civil Aviation Authority. Read on for all the details.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRyiz2VqEKA

Looking forward to it Flyaway, it has been a long time coming. I have everything crossed that nothing goes wrong on launch day, though you can never tell with rockets these days they can be very strange.

Should think so Grey Havoc, with all the flooding over the winter months. We need this satellite to be launched before the next storms come this autumn and winter.

Last edited:
This is the first UK spaceport, and the first launch from it will be the first in the UK!

Black Arrow (and Prospero) were launched from the RAAF Woomera Range Complex - which just happens to be in Australia.
I was conflated first UK rocket launch with first launch in the UK.

Rolls-Royce should do the decent thing and buy Reaction Engines and take control of the SABRE engine. It would be stupid to let such technology disappear if Reaction Engines does go under.
Failing that there's always BAE, although it's more in line with RR's market sector.

Rolls-Royce should do the decent thing and buy Reaction Engines and take control of the SABRE engine. It would be stupid to let such technology disappear if Reaction Engines does go under.
They (Reaction Engines) would be right back where they started.

It is either that or Reaction Engines goes under, there is no alternative really that I can think of Hobbs.

Last edited:
FARNBOROUGH, England — A spaceport in the Shetland Islands expects to soon be ready to host the first vertical orbital launch from U.K. soil.

In a presentation at the Farnborough International Airshow here July 23, Scott Hammond, deputy chief executive and operations director of SaxaVord Spaceport, said he expected the spaceport to receive the last of the licenses from U.K. regulators in September needed to host the inaugural launch of Rocket Factory Augsburg’s RFA ONE rocket there.

The launch site, located on Unst in the Shetland Islands, received a spaceport license from the U.K. Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) in December 2023. That was followed in March by a separate range license for the site. Hammond said he expects a final license, regarding airspace access for launches from the spaceport, in September. The CAA will separately issue RFA a launch license.

That would allow RFA to attempt an orbital launch there. The company performed a static-fire test from the site in May, firing four of nine engines in the vehicle’s first stage. He said the company was preparing for similar tests that will fire five, and then all nine, engines in the stage.

The second stage for that inaugural launch is scheduled to arrive this week after tests in Kiruna, Sweden, followed by its third stage and the satellite payloads. “Everything is gearing up very much for the next steps in our journey to space.”

The spaceport facilities themselves are ready, he said, other than what he described as minor adjustments to the launch stool on which the rocket is mounted.

The official launch date for the mission is the third quarter, Hammond said, although other U.K. officials at the air show suggested a launch later in the fall is more likely. “If anybody tells you in this industry when a launch is going to be,” he quipped, “they’re lying to you because there are a lot of speed bumps.”

He sought to set expectations accordingly for the launch, the first from SaxaVord and the first by RFA. “This is a test flight, and it is an iterative process: we learn as we go along,” he said, expressing concern that politicians in particular did not appreciate that. “Sometimes I worry that the politicians want to see success straight away and, if not, they lose interest.”

The upcoming launch is the culmination of several years of work to establish the spaceport and deal with U.K., Scottish and local officials. Those efforts had setbacks, he said, including a £170 million ($220 million) debt facility to finance the spaceport and other development that “fell through” last year, he said.

The U.K. government did provide £10 million for SaxaVord earlier this year to finance spaceport development. He said the larger debt facility was intended to cover a “much wider piece” of work on the site beyond the launch pad and related facilities.

SaxaVord’s license allows the spaceport to host up to 30 launches a year, although Hammond acknowledged it will take some time to get close to that. “It’s not just a one-off,” he said of the upcoming RFA launch. “We want to do this multiple times a year. That takes time and effort, so it will take a little bit longer.”

Among the other customers for SaxaVord is Lockheed Martin, which intends to conduct its “U.K. Pathfinder” launch from SaxaVord under a contract awarded by the U.K. Space Agency in 2018. That launch will use an RS1 rocket from ABL Space Systems.

Hammond acknowledged those plans were in question after ABL’s second RS1 rocket suffered “irrecoverable” damage in a fire after an engine test July 19 ahead of a planned launch from Kodiak Island, Alaska.

“That’s a very good question after Friday,” he said of the schedule for the U.K. Pathfinder launch, referring to the day the RS1 rocket was damaged. He said he met with Lockheed Martin earlier in the day to discuss the status of that mission. “We don’t know until we know the results from their investigation.”

View: https://twitter.com/vickicocks15/status/1825655708425081323

Footage of the @rfa_space anomaly at @SaxaVord_Space has been shared on the @BBCNews #NewsAtTen
Text of RFA’s statement:

View: https://x.com/rfa_space/status/1825634436794245548

Monday evening, RFA conducted a hot fire of its first stage at their launch site at SaxaVord Spaceport.
This resulted in an anomaly that led to the loss of the stage. No one was injured in the process. The launch pad has been saved and is secured, the situation is under control, and any immediate danger has been mitigated. We are now working closely with SaxaVord Spaceport and the authorities to gather data and info to eventually resolve what happened.
We will take our time to analyze and assess the situation.
We develop iteratively with an emphasis on real testing. This is part of our philosophy and we were aware of the higher risks attached to this approach. Our goal is to return to regular operations as soon as possible.
We will keep you updated on our channels. Until then we kindly ask for your patience.

View: https://x.com/saxavord_space/status/1825647963521089924

As it has done throughout the test campaign, SaxaVord Spaceport will support its client RFA in its investigations following Monday's stage loss.

All safety protocols were fully observed and the site evacuated prior to the test, meaning no RFA or SaxaVord personnel were at risk.

View: https://twitter.com/saxavord_space/status/1825647965769187591

A spokesman for SaxaVord said: "This was a test, and test campaigns are designed to identify issues prior to the next stage.

"We will work with RFA to understand and learn from the causes and support them as they move forward to the next phase of their preparations."

I wonder what was behind the anomally that caused the explosion? At least they were not testing a full scale rocket with a payload TheKutKu.

View: https://twitter.com/_jaykeegan_/status/1825867852492026308

Following yesterday's anomaly of RFA One at SaxaVord Spaceport, NSF reached out the UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) for comment.

The agency confirmed it has been made aware of the anomaly and is in contact with both RFA and SaxaVord to begin the investigation.

"We have been made aware of an anomaly following an engine test by RFA Rocket at SaxaVord Spaceport and are in contact with both organisations."

While the CAA is involved in the investigation, we believe it will be led by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch.

View: https://x.com/uk_caa/status/1825852293230502394

Statement: Saxavord Spaceport

Advancing space technology is complex and at the cutting edge of aerospace and tests like the one at SaxaVord are essential to achieve future success.

Incidents like this are anticipated by operators and the regulations and safety exclusion zones are in place to protect people and property.

As the UK's space regulator, safety is our priority and we're in contact with those involved to make sure the industry continues to have the highest levels of safety and that all parties understand and learn from what has happened.

UK Civil Aviation Authority

This is a tough post to write . On Monday, we faced one of the hardest moments in our journey at Rocket Factory Augsburg - RFA. During a hot-fire test of our first stage, an engine anomaly led to a fire which we were unable to contain - and we lost the stage.

I’ll be honest – it hurts so darn bad . All the blood, sweat and tears that we put into this - lost. I was unable to sleep for the last days and was overcome with dizziness every time I tried to close my eyes. My friends and my family are invested into this and I cannot fail them. I cannot fail the team, the investors, the suppliers, the supporting institutions, the country, the European Union. I cannot fail on the belief that small, high-performance rockets can be built with an automotive mindset to reduce cost to a point where this becomes a major disruption.

Engineering is about pushing the boundaries, embracing the unknown and create things that have not existed before. At RFA, we embrace sparse-matrix engineering, rapid innovation and iteration through testing. Going out into the field testing something is many times harder than iterating systems in a computer. I have that frequent thought that plagues me: I have done this for so many years now, why cannot I take this way more easy and slow down? Why do I push so hard? Every time! Well, every time we do this the hard way and get into the test, we learn things that we could not have possibly learned from a simulation, so testing is key. Testing comes with inherent risk. Not every test goes as planned and setbacks are part of the process. Losing an entire stage so close to launch though - was not anywhere in my mind.

So right now, we're analyzing the details and assessing the situation. We had a close look at all the hardware on site - and finished an internal review a few minutes ago. The root cause at this very preliminary stage seems to have been an oxygen-fire in one of the turbopumps. That engine and that turbopump have run before without issues. Eight engines ignited. We had multiple back-up and safety systems in place that were supposed to shut everything down - but things did not align on Monday as planned.

Our team is working hard to make sure we come back stronger. If there's one thing I’ve learned on this journey, it’s that Team RFA is ultra resilient, dedicated, and relentless in our pursuit of excellence. We will bounce back from this, and our best days are still ahead. We’re more determined than ever to achieve our mission and get to first test flight as soon as possible. Thanks to everyone who has already reached out with support for us. We're going to overcome this.

Monday evening was a nightmare, but the dream is alive and we will make it reality! We took that picture below when we first fired-up that stage in #SaxaVord a few months ago. That day - was one of the best days in my life and that video to me is the best thing on youtube! There will be more of that!

On a more positive note, from the Irish edition of today's The Times (business section):
Filtronic Lifts off as deal with Starlink is renewed

Stan Bradley

A factory in the north of England is the only place in the world where Elon Musk can find an amplifier need for his Starlink satellites — and he now is paying millions for another batch.

The technology mogul's ambition to fill the skys with more than 42,000 Starlink internet satellites, an increase from just over 6,200 at the moment, has proved lucrative for Filtrronic.

The company which makes parts at its headquarters in Sedgefield, Co Durham, and has offices in Leeds and Manchester, has confirmed a £6.4 million order with the American space technology firm, a wholly owned subsidiary of Musk's SpaceX aerospace group.

Filtronic now expects to beat market expectations for its 2025 financial year thanks to the deal and Cavendish, its house broker, lifted a forecast for next year's pre-tax profit by 20 per cent, from £6.4 million to £7.7 million. The company's year-end net cash forecast has risen from £6.6 million to £8 million.

Edward Stacey, director of research at Cavendish, said that Filtronic was the only company in the world that could solve the problem of making more powerful amplifiers for antennas without signal distortion.

"This deal has given us a 10 per cent revenue upgrade and the shares are up almost fivefold from last year," Stacey said. "Low Earth orbit satellites came from almost nothing to represent half of the company's revenue."

"SpaceX could not find anyone else to make this crucial part, even among all the big satellite makers in the United States. It also wants a new generation antenna that is even more powerful, so Filtronic is working on that."

Musk, 53, who also owns Telsa, the carmaker, and X, the social media platform, launched SpaceX in 2002. It now hold warrants for more than 10.9 million Filtronic shares, or 5 per cent of the stock capital. SpaceX's order for e-band solid-state amplifiers will be fulfilled next year.

This time last year, shares in Filtronic stood at 17p. They closed up 3
½, or 4.6 per cent, at 79½p last night.

View: https://twitter.com/_jaykeegan_/status/1832090906213646730

To circle back around to the regulatory aspect of the RFA anomaly last month:

The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has confirmed to me that there is no CAA investigation into the anomaly of RFA's first stage at SaxaVord Spaceport last month.

The agency & SAIA determined this anomaly was not a "spaceflight accident" under UK legislation. This is similar to the decision the FAA makes following anomalies with US Launch Vehicles.

The agency confirmed they are engaging closely with RFA and SaxaVord "to ensure lessons are learnt".

Under UK legislation, the definition of a "space accident is:

"Any accident that takes place during, or as a result of spaceflight activities in or over the United Kingdom, or elsewhere (if any of the circumstances referred to in regulation 16 apply)".

The Space Accidents Investigation Authority (SAIA) reserves the right to waive an investigation, as is the case for this anomaly.

"When the SAIA has received a notification, it will review the information available and decide on an appropriate course of action. Depending on the circumstances, the SAIA response will range from no further action to launching a full investigation."

I assume this is the correct thread for this interesting Project Daedalus video:

Project Daedalus (named after Daedalus, the Greek mythological designer who crafted wings for human flight) was a study conducted between 1973 and 1978 by the British Interplanetary Society to design a plausible uncrewed interstellar probe. Intended mainly as a scientific probe, the design criteria specified that the spacecraft had to use existing or near-future technology and had to be able to reach its destination within a human lifetime. Alan Bond led a team of scientists and engineers who proposed using a fusion rocket to reach Barnard's Star 5.9 light years away. The trip was estimated to take 50 years, but the design was required to be flexible enough that it could be sent to any other target star.

In the 1970’s the British Interplanetary society devised a theoretical plan to send a spacecraft to a nearby star. The plan was named Project Daedalus.Project Daedalus was to design a spacecraft using current or near future technology which could reach a nearby star within the working life of a scientist or roughly 50 years.The star chosen for this endeavour was Barnard’s star. At 5.96 light years away, it isn’t the closest star, but it was still within the parameters of a 50 year flight time.The fusion engines would fire for a total of nearly 4 years accelerating the craft up to 12% of the speed of light. The craft would then cruise for the remaining 46 years until it reached the star.Once it reached the star, a series of probes would be launched to survey the star system and search for signs of extraterrestrial life or the conditions suitable for the development of life.

Last edited: