Bradley Fighting Vehicle

Flyaway

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Looks like some of the Bradley’s will have a new home.

U.S. President Joe Biden on Wednesday said that sending Bradley Fighting Vehicles to Ukraine was being considered to help the that country fight Russia's invasion.
It was not clear how many Bradleys are destined for Ukraine, but the United States is preparing another weapons aid package which could be announced in the coming days.

"The infantry variants has a lot of room in the back for troops" is definitely a take. Compared to the CFV, I'm sure the IFV looks roomy. Maybe compared to the BMP as well. But otherwise, it's cramped AF.

Too bad about having to integrate yet another (largely obsolete) ATGM, in the form of TOW.

"I was in Desert Storm 2" sounds cool until you realise it was 20 years ago...

I was in "Op Granby", frightening thought.

Last edited:

Desert Storm was 32 years ago. The "2/" means "post #2 in this thread," it's not part of an op name (It was never "Desert Storm 2," it was "Op Iraqi Freedom," which is even lamer.)

Ah... yeah 32 years... I was still in infants school...
And yet wasn't the US Army still not all that sold on the Bradly in 1990 after all the scandalous shenanigans that took place? Perhaps proof that kit only grows more legendary with age.

get-outta-here-go-away.gif

You're making some of us feel old.

get-outta-here-go-away.gif

You're making some of us feel old.
Well, I was only born in 1996... This just shows, how stuck most of the world's armies still are to late Cold War equipment. At least the Bradleys and Marders being sent to Ukraine have been kept mostly up to date and in reliable running condition unlike the BMP-1's and T-62M's the luckiest ones of the Russian mobiks are going to man (the unluckiest are likely given a Mosin and ordered to carry shells and propellants from lorries to storage).

Article is relevant to this thread but will highlight the following paragraph.

However, with reports that Russia has been bringing in more and newer T-90 tanks, the demand by Kyiv for the main battle tanks it still sees as a key to liberating Russian-occupied areas – including the Crimea – is unlikely to go away.

First time the US is donating M109s?
Yes. Ukraine's current inventory of M109s was donated by Latvia, Norway and UK (ex-Belgian vehicles bought from OIP Land Systems). Italy is also in the process of donating its M109s to Ukraine.

The version of the M-2 that the United States is donating to Ukraine isn’t the latest version. No, it’s the variant of the infantry fighting vehicle the U.S. Army developed in the aftermath of the 1991 war with Iraq. The Operation Desert Storm, or ODS, variant of the M-2 by now is a 30-year-old vehicle. But its age belies its effectiveness.

The opticians have truly arrived.........

25 mm barrel removed for transport?
Yes they seemingly routinely get removed when be transported by truck or train, I'm not certain why exactly.
Like many such things, its for multiple of reasons.

Safety, tie down and exposure are the biggest.

Safety is twofold.

First is the fact that the barrel does stick out a bit, so if the turret lock breaks while in traveling. Which is not unheard of cause lowest bidder and all. You don't end up with a 4 inch metal pipe swinging around.

Second bit is cause the Barrel Assembly also has the breech. So if it gets stolen or Private Numbnuts didnt clear the system properly the weapon literally can not fire.

Tie down reasom.
Forgot the exact deal but it goes with the safety deal there. Along with some other reasoning I cant remember.

Exposure.
Basically to keep the Gun tube from being exposed to the weather, cutting down on needed maintenance and tge like. Also increases the accuracy by doing this.

Developing an unmanned LOSAT/CKEM type system seems perfect for this conflict.

Attachments

• 7D7749BC-A64C-47B5-8B7E-E54881562465.jpeg
    7D7749BC-A64C-47B5-8B7E-E54881562465.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 27
Looks it. Ruskies have some too by some videos I've seen. They were yeeting em into treetops to spray the shrapnel down into the ground like these guys are doing. At least that's what it looks like to me. 25mm cannon is impressive. I knew the Russians have a big HE charge even with newer airbirst rounds but these are just as impressive.

"The infantry variants has a lot of room in the back for troops" is definitely a take. Compared to the CFV, I'm sure the IFV looks roomy. Maybe compared to the BMP as well. But otherwise, it's cramped AF.

Too bad about having to integrate yet another (largely obsolete) ATGM, in the form of TOW.
At least the troops can actually sit upright in a Bradley...

More here from a former Bradley commander in Desert Storm 2:

LTG Hertling received his Purple Heart at Medina Ridge. Not sure why you're mocking him here, there's clearly a period there.

He was in both. His last combat assignment was the Iraq War surge with 1st Armored I think?

And yet wasn't the US Army still not all that sold on the Bradly in 1990 after all the scandalous shenanigans that took place? Perhaps proof that kit only grows more legendary with age.

Guys who used the Brad loved it, only weirdo axe-grinders like J.G. Burton hated it, and that's only because they got overruled by the kingmakers. There was nothing scandalous about the M2 in any real sense except that it had trouble fording rivers I guess.

Last edited:
Guys who used the Brad loved it, only weirdo axe-grinders like J.G. Burton hated it, and that's only because they got overruled by the kingmakers. There was nothing scandalous about the M2 in any real sense except that it had trouble fording rivers I guess.
It took way too long to see service, and we should be on the replacement to the replacement of the Bradley (and Abrams) by now. Design of the Bradley began in 1963, but it took till 1981-83 before it was in service!

I don't know about replacement of the replacement, but replacement yes.

Is that an air bursting warhead type?

There are no air-bursting munitions in 25mm (assuming you mean something like AHEAD). I don't even think there's a delay-fuzed 25mm round, other than the self-destruct fuzing in some HEI and SAPHEI rounds.

Last edited: