Boeing Vertol alternate HLH proposals and other crane helicopters

That was a great project. I am still incredulous that the leadership at Ft. Rucker elected to destroy the prototype. All that is left now are some data plates and the hook. :'(
The HLH mock up was heavily damaged in a hurricane and was never meant to sit outside and was heavily corroded. The only incredulity should be in the manner it was displayed.
//
I could be remembering wrong, Ill have to check my photos but I believe the Rucker photo here predates 2005.

Gary

By the lack of a photograph of the XCH -62 in flight it never did. What was the problem was it a lack of funds or was there a mechanical problem.

By the lack of a photograph of the XCH -62 in flight it never did. What was the problem was it a lack of funds or was there a mechanical problem.
I am not sure what killed the program. I have seen discussions here about wether it was an incomplete prototype or a mock up. I can tell you from seeing the beast all broken up after hurricane/scrapping that it was not built to fly, just a mock up. Perhaps cnx was due to pod fascination going out of style, or perhaps Skycrane killed.

Sadly my visits to the museum were always targeted, and depended on curator for storage access. I did not get to spend a lot of time exploring the museum proper
I did a walk through and it is a fantastic place to go if you have the opportunity. I was only
a couple hours away at the time, and regret not visiting more.
G

Last edited:
I was there the day it was torn up. The data plates, sticks and grips and the HUGE cargo hook were recovered. The contractor who was hired to destroy the vehicle gave us thirty minutes. I am half guessing but I think the engines needed were not ready and with the Army's focus on Europe the need for it vice other program efforts caused it to be cancelled.

Some parts (don’t know what) were supposedly taken to the Helicopter Museum at Weston-super-Mare UK (wiki article for what that’s worth), saw not mention on their website.

Anyone know?

Found what might be a Boeing-Vertol self promotion piece on their HLH efforts... A beautiful bit of artwork and of interest is the kneeling capability, which I've never seen before.

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Boeing-Vertol 301_XCH-62 HLH.jpg
    Boeing-Vertol 301_XCH-62 HLH.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 290
Found what might be a Boeing-Vertol self promotion piece on their HLH efforts...
Its from the British kids magazine Look and Learn (No 495 10/7/1971) and painted by its resident artist Wilf Hardy.

Happy new year all came across this on FB.

cheers

(attachement see #130)

Last edited by a moderator:
A recent donation to the Museum harvested this color art of the drawing posted earlier in #20 and #83. Rather like the forward gear set up on this - Praying Mantis comes to mind...

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zBoeing Heavy Lift Concept Artwork.jpg
    zBoeing Heavy Lift Concept Artwork.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 249
The real fun is betting on how far the marshalling soldier standing in front of the beast would have been blown on take off.

Copilot (peering over the instument panel) - "What's that guy doing? Should we tell him to move or something?"

Pilot - "Naw. Bet $10 we blast him twenty feet."

Flight Engineer - "I'm in for thirty feet."

Copilot - "twentyfive!"

I am not sure what killed the program. I have seen discussions here about wether it was an incomplete prototype or a mock up. I can tell you from seeing the beast all broken up after hurricane/scrapping that it was not built to fly, just a mock up.
No, that was the prototype... according to Boeing:
Heavy Lift Helicopter - Prototype Technical Summary Boeing Vertol Co April 1980.
Design, fabrication, and assembly of one prototype HLH was 90 percent completed. An advanced aluminum honeycomb airframe, landing gear, and subsystems not included in the ATC effort were designed and fabricated. Limited laboratory tests were conducted to assure airworthiness of the prototype aircraft. Mockups were constructed of the crew compartment and aft area.

From Vertiflite 2002.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    639.9 KB · Views: 186
From Vertiflite 2002.
Hello,
I did this drawing more than 20 years ago (! time is passing so fast). Here is a higher resolution in attachment. It was fun to do it, and the machine is so extraordinary! An article had been submitted in Vertiflite, but I'm not sure if the author submitted it for other magazines (maybe Le Fana de l'Aviation but I'm not sure).
I attached also some other drawings I did.
The Anigrand model maker isssued a 3 view plan on their box that seems quite interesting.
Maybe one day I will make a new 3 views plan, as I progressed a little bit in my graphics, because I feel the plan I did was too simplistic, we could do so much more with a whatif in operation or with different schemes.

Attachments

• Plan comparatif projets.jpg
    Plan comparatif projets.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Plan HLH 2 couleurs.jpg
    Plan HLH 2 couleurs.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Plan HLH Sikorsky couleurs 2.jpg
    Plan HLH Sikorsky couleurs 2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Plan HLH 2.jpg
    Plan HLH 2.jpg