AIRBUS RACER / Clean Sky2 LifeRCraft Demonstrator

While I am a devout believe in; "If it can go wrong, it will," there are certainly safeguards that could be implemented to decrease the opportunity for Darwinian selection. Weight on wheels switch could automatically decouple the propellors and put them in beta or feathered status to slow them to a stop. Modern LED lights (both visual and IR) can be inserted into the propellors to make it abundantly clear where not to go. All of this said, I remain concerned about the military utility due to the hazard. People who have not slept in days and are wanting to get away from other people trying to kill them tend not to be on the same level of rational thought as those of us who sit in air-conditioned safe spaces sipping our favorite caffeinated beverage.
As I said earlier, I do think the technology, as being built, can be used for civil purposes more readily. Certainly, civil Emergency Medical Evacuation will need some consideration as those can be chaotic environments as well, but VIP and deep-sea oil rig transport where you can control the movement of people are certainly viable in my opinion.

The super-fast Airbus Racer helicopter will take off in February

So apparently they meant end of March, not February? Lousy messaging from Airbus.

From the pics from yesterday’s press event there still seems to be some way to go…
View: https://x.com/AlcockNews/status/1757392994079035771?s=20

Interesting that they also for the first time stressed the commonality with conventional helicopters (from both a parts and pilot training perspective), potentially leading to easier mixed-fleet operations of conventional and “Racer” helicopters under one roof.

Attachments

• IMG_2080.png
    IMG_2080.png
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2079.png
    IMG_2079.png
    918.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2078.png
    IMG_2078.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2083.jpeg
    IMG_2083.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
Interesting that they also for the first time stressed the commonality with conventional helicopters (from both a parts and pilot training perspective), potentially leading to easier mixed-fleet operations of conventional and “Racer” helicopters under one roof.
I mean, it's a simple compound helicopter, only slightly more complex than the Cheyenne arrangement. Trivially more complex than Cheyenne, IMO.

So I agree that it's a much easier training program than V280s or Ospreys.

I find it fascinating that in part the upper wing is to shield the lower wing from the downwash of the main rotors so that it generates more lift and also to minimise the vertical drag when hovering compared to a single larger wing. Lot of complex aerodynamic interactions between the different elements.

I find it fascinating that in part the upper wing is to shield the lower wing from the downwash of the main rotors so that it generates more lift and also to minimise the vertical drag when hovering compared to a single larger wing. Lot of complex aerodynamic interactions between the different elements.
engineers getting sneaky!

LifeRCraft = Low Impact, Fast & Efficient RotorCraft

The next step after X³

Refer to page 332 (8.7 Compound Rotorcraft Demonstration (LifeRCraft)) for further information:

http://ec.europa.eu/research/partic...l/jti/h2020-guide-techprog-cleansky-ju_en.pdf

Info about Clean Sky: http://www.cleansky.eu/fast-rotorcraft

BR Michael

...H160 derivative? ::)

Made its first flight

1714037862897.png

Made its first flight

A few more pics.

GMAJcDrWYAA4nw2

image.jpg

GMAJeUdWMAAP31J

Last edited:
Back