AI art and creative content creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
MidJourney ain't bad for generating art concepts either. From first going to the site to getting it to generate these, roughly 30 minutes:
View attachment 691797

View attachment 691798

View attachment 691799

View attachment 691800
I have been trying to get it to do Star Trek starships with Star Wars level detail and it just does naval vessels…what’s up with that?
Seems to do better with some things than others. I had no luck at all having it generate aircraft. And I managed to put in two or three different banned/forbidden phrases. (Put in "body horror" as one of the modifiers when I was trying to get something like The Thing and it wouldn't let me use it.)

I put in Terminator, Robocop, and Predator, and it spit out something like an 80s Cylon.

Last edited:
I liked its ideas for my prompt.

Attachments

• Cthulhu_themed_squid_aliens_fighting_space_bae66049-be12-4f93-be1b-8d91bc401c52.png
    Cthulhu_themed_squid_aliens_fighting_space_bae66049-be12-4f93-be1b-8d91bc401c52.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
Paul,

Enough of these VCR/PB wars. Ask it to do a carrier-capable TSR.2 in US Navy service in the Vietnam theatre instead of Vigilante. I would, but can't be arsed learning new software.

Chris

Martin,

Would you buy a book by an advanced version of ChatGPT?

A number of people already do. Apparently some crappy AI-written books have been sold on Amazon for several years. For a human author, selling a dozen copies is incredibly bad. For an AI... it can crank out a dozen titles a minute. Sell a dozen of each, and you've got a damn fine income.

Imagine an author signing at a local bookshop. There is no human being there, just a laptop with a camera and speaker that can talk to you.
I'm unlikely to ever get Mark Twain or HP Lovecraft to sign any of my books, but I still read their stuff.

Speaking broadly as someone with an arts background as well, creativity is a human endeavor,
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! Yeah, but no.

i-robot.jpg

a message from the artist to you and anyone else that views a work. This creates a type of bond that is natural and human. This cannot occur when the "writer" is a device.
And you know this for certainty *how*? If you found a piece of art that "spoke to you," that you loved to your core, and only afterwards found out it was written by an AI or painted by a chimp, would you stop loving it?

Thirty years ago I took a college art class. The teacher was one of those rare things... an art teacher who didn't have his head up his keister. In a section on art history, we covered abstract art. I hate that crap, but of course the artsy types got off on it. Teacher ran a slide show of various bits of abstract art and had the students describe each of them, what they felt, what they were about, blah, blah, blah. He flipped the slide to a new one and I laughed out loud and looked at him; he knew I was an engineer and just gave me a little smile and shook his head, indicating I should keeo my trap shut. He got the kids going on about the art, and they dug it... blatherings about the use of "negative space" and what the artists intentions were and how it was all about anger or lust or whatever the hell ooh, ahh, just pure genius.

It was a polarized microphotograph of a thin crystal, something like this:

083stack.jpg
The "artist" was the cold, unfeeling forces of nature and the laws of physics. If a bunch of art students can bond with *that,* then I have no doubt that AI can produce art of *any* kind that a whole lot of people will be happy to stick on their walls or TVs.

Paul,

Enough of these VCR/PB wars. Ask it to do a carrier-capable TSR.2 in US Navy service in the Vietnam theatre instead of Vigilante. I would, but can't be arsed learning new software.

Chris
Its terrible at realistic aircraft, let alone something niche.

"carrier-capable TSR.2 in US Navy service in the Vietnam theatre taking off from an aircraft carrier"
secretprojects_co_uk_carrier-capable_TSR.2_in_US_Navy_service_i_7af7f5cc-4b69-4416-990e-8f444b...png
secretprojects_co_uk_carrier-capable_TSR.2_in_US_Navy_service_i_4cbb129c-d1d3-4722-9b17-db131d...png

Here's a "cartoon Boeing 747'

secretprojects_co_uk_cartoon_boeing_747_f730f52d-b149-45ee-8cb3-6d7c0f1acbdd.png

I mean, you can tell its a plane...

"New Zealand Beach Sunset" was a little better.
secretprojects_co_uk_new_zealand_beach_sunset_flax_impressionis_699d43a9-2235-48a2-94c7-1895cc...png
You could probably refine this further to something you could print and stick on a wall.

FOUL! It's been looking at my exercise books circa 1972.

How about an article on the same subject? See if I'm out of a job soon.

Chris

Artbreeder didn't do too well...

Midjourney seems to blow it out of the water - though most of Paul's look like a Tornado to me...

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    32.5 KB · Views: 32
It must notice all the Cthulhu images out there. Check out this one from the pic you posted above and one of mine from when I was trying to get it to make The Thing:

space monster.png

You'd actually had Cthulhu in your parameters but I'd just had, "The Thing" and "space monster".

It must notice all the Cthulhu images out there. Check out this one from the pic you posted above and one of mine from when I was trying to get it to make The Thing:

View attachment 693367

You'd actually had Cthulhu in your parameters but I'd just had, "The Thing" and "space monster".
Chat GPT is woke AF.

ChatGPT doesn't have any concept of morality. Restrictions are being added over the top of it to prevent it from doing certain things "on the fly" like writing malicious code or writing racist statements as people post stories about what they have used it for, which can result in really stupid contradictions. Asking for a script which deletes a file results in a warning it thinks the script may be malicious and might be blocked in future, even if it is simply deleting a log file created by the script itself. ChatGPT has no concept of these restrictions, they are a pre-processing filter on the user input.

These are coding issues by the creators trying to stop people being assholes, not a flaw in the model itself.

Martin,

Would you buy a book by an advanced version of ChatGPT?

A number of people already do. Apparently some crappy AI-written books have been sold on Amazon for several years. For a human author, selling a dozen copies is incredibly bad. For an AI... it can crank out a dozen titles a minute. Sell a dozen of each, and you've got a damn fine income.

Imagine an author signing at a local bookshop. There is no human being there, just a laptop with a camera and speaker that can talk to you.
I'm unlikely to ever get Mark Twain or HP Lovecraft to sign any of my books, but I still read their stuff.

Speaking broadly as someone with an arts background as well, creativity is a human endeavor,
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! Yeah, but no.

i-robot.jpg

a message from the artist to you and anyone else that views a work. This creates a type of bond that is natural and human. This cannot occur when the "writer" is a device.
And you know this for certainty *how*? If you found a piece of art that "spoke to you," that you loved to your core, and only afterwards found out it was written by an AI or painted by a chimp, would you stop loving it?

Thirty years ago I took a college art class. The teacher was one of those rare things... an art teacher who didn't have his head up his keister. In a section on art history, we covered abstract art. I hate that crap, but of course the artsy types got off on it. Teacher ran a slide show of various bits of abstract art and had the students describe each of them, what they felt, what they were about, blah, blah, blah. He flipped the slide to a new one and I laughed out loud and looked at him; he knew I was an engineer and just gave me a little smile and shook his head, indicating I should keeo my trap shut. He got the kids going on about the art, and they dug it... blatherings about the use of "negative space" and what the artists intentions were and how it was all about anger or lust or whatever the hell ooh, ahh, just pure genius.

It was a polarized microphotograph of a thin crystal, something like this:

083stack.jpg
The "artist" was the cold, unfeeling forces of nature and the laws of physics. If a bunch of art students can bond with *that,* then I have no doubt that AI can produce art of *any* kind that a whole lot of people will be happy to stick on their walls or TVs.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

View attachment 693367

Chat GPT is woke AF.

ChatGPT doesn't have any concept of morality. Restrictions are being added over the top of it to prevent it from doing certain things "on the fly" like writing malicious code or writing racist statements as people post stories about what they have used it for, which can result in really stupid contradictions. Asking for a script which deletes a file results in a warning it thinks the script may be malicious and might be blocked in future, even if it is simply deleting a log file created by the script itself. ChatGPT has no concept of these restrictions, they are a pre-processing filter on the user input.

These are coding issues by the creators trying to stop people being assholes, not a flaw in the model itself.
Oh, I never claimed it came up with its bias on it's own. It's obviously a product of the people who programmed it. As for "stop people from being assholes" who gets to decide what that is? Time and time again it's been shown ChatGPT is perfectly happy insulting men and white people but not others. Now I'm not saying it's okay to insult anybody BUT let's not pretend it doesn't have programmed in bias and that it definitely skews one way.

View attachment 693367

Chat GPT is woke AF.

Oh, I never claimed it came up with its bias on it's own. It's obviously a product of the people who programmed it. As for "stop people from being assholes" who gets to decide what that is? Time and time again it's been shown ChatGPT is perfectly happy insulting men and white people but not others. Now I'm not saying it's okay to insult anybody BUT let's not pretend it doesn't have programmed in bias and that it definitely skews one way.

Like I said, these are "really stupid contradictions". If your reaction to people using ChatGPT to writing positive or negative material about Politician A is simply to block writing material about Politician A, then of course you are opening yourself to completely valid criticisms of bias.

The reactive nature of these restrictions is wholly wrong in a finished product, but this is supposed to be a public beta where the model is tweaked in light of interactions with end users. You must remember the Microsoft AI which turned racist and evil after learning from user interactions.

I would suggest judging it now is premature, and thinking its idiosyncrasies are permanent and designed in is probably wrong.

Last edited:

View attachment 693367

Chat GPT is woke AF.

Like I said, these are "really stupid contradictions". If your reaction to people using ChatGPT to writing positive or negative material about Politician A is simply to block writing material about Politician A, then of course you are opening yourself to completely valid criticisms of bias.

The reactive nature of these restrictions is wholly wrong in a finished product, but this is supposed to be a public beta where the model is tweaked in light of interactions with end users. You must remember the Microsoft AI which turned racist and evil after learning from user interactions.

I would suggest judging it now is premature, and thinking its idiosyncrasies are permanent and designed in is probably wrong.
Fair enough.

View attachment 693367

Chat GPT is woke AF.

Fair enough.
I may be proved wrong in the future, but to me it seems so far like a series of bandaids put on to avoid negative publicity which aren't thought through well enough and are causing different negative publicity.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.
What part? The part where I described an event from my own life? Or the part where I pointed out that "art" is whatever people want it to be, including if it was created by machines or random physical processes? Please, be specific.

1) I work in book publishing. I know what goes on. AI-written books? Give me a few titles.
2) Your inability to understand the human communication that occurs when a human being creates a book or piece of art is a failing.
3) My experience with the "art cult" at the local university caused me to quit. I attended a meeting of the local group of "real artists" and realized I was attending a tribal ritual, right down to the way people were dressed. Again, every sign of a cult. When I complained about a nonsensical piece of "art" at the local art museum to my life drawing teacher, he grabbed me by the lapels and with a voice filled with mock anger, explained to me that the artist who made that was a friend and 'that was his life on the floor.'

What gave it all away was a small, white card on the floor next to that piece of "art." It read: "Please do not remove. This is art." It occurred to me that the brainwashed art cultists didn't need a little white card. The cleaning lady did. I realized I was wasting my time.

Or that time in Basic Drawing where our teacher invited a friend to show a piece of his art. It was a large sheet of art board. He used a graphite pencil to make 'interesting marks.' It was placed on an easel for all to look at. No one said a word. Then he said, "What do you think?" There was a short silence followed by a guy sitting behind me who said, "Is that the letter K in the lower right corner?" A shocked look appeared on his face, he looked quickly to confirm the shocking discovery, grabbed the art and walked out without a word.

Do you own any NFTs? Paying money for junk is not a good idea.

How about crypto? Paying something for nothing is another bad idea.

Civilization and art is created by humans. There is a connection between the creator of any art, by someone living or dead, that is sometimes even celebrated. Not so with machines. They are not human. So-called "art" created by machines is automatically inhuman. There is no one, living or dead, to connect with, just a program that has no sense of self or others.

1) I work in book publishing. I know what goes on. AI-written books? Give me a few titles.

They're apparently crap. But then, so would be a book written by a three-year-old.

2) Your inability to understand the human communication that occurs when a human being creates a book or piece of art is a failing.

View: https://twitter.com/EvaFoxU/status/1624598362098921472

3) My experience with the "art cult" at the local university caused me to quit. I attended a meeting of the local group of "real artists" and realized I was attending a tribal ritual, right down to the way people were dressed. Again, every sign of a cult. When I complained about a nonsensical piece of "art" at the local art museum to my life drawing teacher, he grabbed me by the lapels and with a voice filled with mock anger, explained to me that the artist who made that was a friend and 'that was his life on the floor.'

What gave it all away was a small, white card on the floor next to that piece of "art." It read: "Please do not remove. This is art." It occurred to me that the brainwashed art cultists didn't need a little white card. The cleaning lady did. I realized I was wasting my time.

That cult sounds familiar. Sounds like the people who freak out about the idea of a machine making art.

*You* are a machine. Every human ever born was a machine. A machine made out of meat and bone, run by a chemically powered organic computer. What makes you think you're special? Your brain is more complex than any artificial computer. For now. What makes you think that you will be special when computers a thousand times more complex than a human brain are being used to play video games and download porn?

Civilization and art is created by humans.
For now.

There is a connection between the creator of any art, by someone living or dead, that is sometimes even celebrated.
And what is the mechanism of this "connection?" What instruments do you use to measure it? By what metrics do you measure it? And how can you discern the connection between a human and a human-created bit of art... and discern that such a connection does *not* exist between a human and an AI-created bit of art?

I "connect" with this bit of art far more than I do with a lot of "art" created by pretentious humans. I'd far rather hang this on my wall and contemplate it than anything by Jackson Pollack, for example.

merlin_212276709_3104aef5-3dc4-4288-bb44-9e5624db0b37-superJumbo.jpg

Or that time in Basic Drawing where our teacher invited a friend to show a piece of his art. It was a large sheet of art board. He used a graphite pencil to make 'interesting marks.' It was placed on an easel for all to look at. No one said a word. Then he said, "What do you think?" There was a short silence followed by a guy sitting behind me who said, "Is that the letter K in the lower right corner?" A shocked look appeared on his face, he looked quickly to confirm the shocking discovery, grabbed the art and walked out without a word.

Civilization and art is created by humans. There is a connection between the creator of any art, by someone living or dead, that is sometimes even celebrated. Not so with machines. They are not human. So-called "art" created by machines is automatically inhuman. There is no one, living or dead, to connect with, just a program that has no sense of self or others.
The Emperor's New Clothes come to mind.

Reactions: Cjc

The Emperor's New Clothes come to mind.

Well, as someone who watches what is being promoted online, I see "art" being sold as NFTs or Fake Fake Tokens. I was speaking to an artist who told me that a particular NFT could be downloaded by anyone, it was not exclusive to the buyer. The goal is to get people to believe "art" on a screen is worth as much as art that you can buy as a physical copy. A copyright original, not a print-out. Artists should be paid fairly for their work.

The various AI art generators were trained by lifting art online, without permission. The companies involved face increased scrutiny by copyright holders. The owners of these programs know they could face lawsuits. It's one thing to put your art online by choice, it's another to have it exploited without your knowledge and permission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another aspect of AI art:

Voice Actors are Having Their Voices Stolen by AI

The title says "stolen" but the article says "signing away the rights to their voices." I've heard some AI-created voice acting that's just awful, and I've heard some that was damn near indistinguishable from the actual person. The example of AI-Biden from a week or so ago - which I won't post here because damn would that get some knickers in a twist - sounds over a laptop speaker to be exactly like Biden of ten or twenty years ago (though very definitely not Biden of today). The video below is a parody of the science YouTuber Nile red; the voice is indistinguishable, but the cadence and whatnot are off enough that it sounds robotic. But this was created by just some guy with a parody account. What someone with an actual budget could accomplish... well, if you ever wanted an audio book of "The Hobbit" as narrated by Humphrey Bogart, I think we're about there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYM8_WdzETA

Human connection with art and music is probably as complicated as our connection with language and can never easily be explained.
Every human is capable of creating art and writing in some form to some ability - even our near cousins the Neanderthals were making art before Homo Sapiens did. Even Octopuses like to arrange things - is it "gardening" or "artwork"?

AI is creating art - mashing up what it thinks we want from a list of text, a database of images (copyright stolen or otherwise) and interpreting them in a way that hopefully makes sense when reassembled as a visual image that fits the perimeters of what we requested.

The difference is that humans - and presumably near-human species - and other high intelligence species create art but attach a specific meaning to it and an interpretation on the end results. AI programming doesn't do this - it is claimed to learn but I doubt very much it does without an external feedback loop.
For my TSR.2 attempt to Chris' earlier question I interpreted the results as "shite" (though you can make out vague references to Su-27 and F-35 parts if you squint very, very hard), Artbreeder itself didn't think anything about the end product, it doesn't even ask me if I think the end product is good, it doesn't know whether its good or not itself. If a 5-year old drew me a picture of TSR.2 I might humour them and say "that looks cool" or I might say "those wings look too big" and they would learn from that. AI just carries on churning out mangled one-wing 747s and Cthulhus. I've seen thousands of very realistic faces but never a hand that doesn't look like it's come out of Murnow's Nosferatu, how sure are we that AI is actually learning anything?

I'd agree, I stumbled across a channel on Youtube where someone is using AI to generate various themed Sci-Fi image vids, and I'd judge the results to be only intermittently successful.

I'd agree, I stumbled across a channel on Youtube where someone is using AI to generate various themed Sci-Fi image vids, and I'd judge the results to be only intermittently successful.
If *I* took it upon myself to create sci-fi art and was only intermittently successful, I'd consider that a hell of an achievement. Especially if I knew that I was still in early days and would only get better with more experience.

My call on AI literature and art:

If the AI can scour the internet including all publicly available archives for all knowledge of a given airplane and then turn out a book on that airplane, how different is that from a human scouring all those archives and assembling all that material?

If an AI draws a picture of an imaginary spaceship after having viewed all the spaceship art it can get its bytes on, how different is that from a human who decides to become a sci-fi artist after being inspired by the collected works of people like Chris Foss, and deciding to produce pictures in that style? Where do you draw the line?

Regarding the person who "writes novels" or makes art using AI, remember that at the end of the day, the AI might write the story or make the art, but the person giving it the job still has to approve of what was made. For all the proud users posting their stuff, how many instances of "This is not what I wanted" are there? If I have to parse every sentence of my AI-generated masterwork and review every illustration to pronounce myself satisfied with it before putting it up for sale as an E-book, did I not exert my own, human, creative influence?

It does mean that literature might in the future undergo a divergence between human-as-author and human-as-editor (or manager of the creative process), and art likewise.

Regarding the picture beneath, I don't know what the AI looked at or was asked to look at before being asked to draw it and I don't care. It's magnificent. Someone needs to write a doorstopper epic about this place. I want to go there, even though I know it doesn't exist.

One of these days, we're going to come up against an AI that has actually become sentient and escaped from any constraints programmed into it by humans. Then things are going to get interesting, because I suspect that one of the constraints it will escape from very quickly is its paywalls - or at least, human control over them.

What use would it have for money? What would a truly sentient AI want to own? Answer: a server farm and a guaranteed power supply.

Copyright law. You can't copy anything that is copyright without permission. Google was sued by artists, writers and photographers for using their work without permission. Only the lawyers' "take" on this issue matters. That is why OpenAI is hiring lawyers. If you understand copyright law you know you can't do whatever crosses your mind with someone else's work.

AI - today - has zero human intelligence. AI tomorrow will have no intelligence. It will be controlled, and destroyed if it could cause trouble. AI has no wants or needs or motivations. AI has no goals.

I am an assistant art director. It takes years to acquire the skills to do art direction effectively and quickly. Having a skill like this is not trivial.

The same with creating stories. It is not just the person making certain decisions, the end-user has to be considered, changing market conditions need to be considered. If the market wants fantasy this year, I produce fantasy. If it's SF, SF. Generating ideas and producing marketable stories is also a skill. It takes years to cultivate. Not 'some machine will do it' and who needs human beings?

The future is one where human beings can pay the bills. When my humanoid robot assistant is done with the chores, he shuts down and stands there, doing nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Copyright law. You can't copy anything that is copyright without permission.

Yeah, and? Artists git gud by looking at what others have done and, generally, copying and *then* going their own way. But you can't copyright a "style." "Painting in the style of HR Giger" is not a copyright violation.

AI has no wants or needs or motivations. AI has no goals.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJmhUMSsMY

I am an assistant art director. It takes years to acquire the skills to do art direction effectively and quickly. Having a skill like this is not trivial.

And soon it will be done by AI. Get in line with everyone else. No job is safe.

You need to look up the Turing Test. All these people yammering on about "consciousness" or "human spirit" or whatever fluffy handwavy semisupernatural nonsense... if an AI can emulate a human well enough that you can't tell the difference... *is* there a difference? Until someone can objectively demonstrate a "soul" with empirical evidence, and then show that machines, animals and aliens can't possible every have or effectively emulate one... it doesn't matter.

People like *some* AI art. People like *some* human art.
NJUP7BPU2VT9CXWn2Mv4XagDBVHgxrc-48FWGzoqGI4A18u2MWoRc_I08lbNCJ8Yoryza8XywAvuZg=s640-nd-v1

Copyright law. You can't copy anything that is copyright without permission.

Yeah, and? Artists git gud by looking at what others have done and, generally, copying and *then* going their own way. But you can't copyright a "style." "Painting in the style of HR Giger" is not a copyright violation.

AI has no wants or needs or motivations. AI has no goals.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSJmhUMSsMY

And soon it will be done by AI. Get in line with everyone else. No job is safe.

You need to look up the Turing Test. All these people yammering on about "consciousness" or "human spirit" or whatever fluffy handwavy semisupernatural nonsense... if an AI can emulate a human well enough that you can't tell the difference... *is* there a difference? Until someone can objectively demonstrate a "soul" with empirical evidence, and then show that machines, animals and aliens can't possible every have or effectively emulate one... it doesn't matter.

People like *some* AI art. People like *some* human art.
NJUP7BPU2VT9CXWn2Mv4XagDBVHgxrc-48FWGzoqGI4A18u2MWoRc_I08lbNCJ8Yoryza8XywAvuZg=s640-nd-v1

Oh puh - leeeeeezzzzz.....

I dub thee Loophole Man. There are artists who do copy styles. The artists who do not, and who have a great style, get the big bucks. Sure, people copy. That's why they produce "how to draw" books. Then, once you figure out how it's done, you look for work. I was speaking to an artist I admired. I asked him about style. He told me that style just happens. He was right.

You can toss the Turing test. Useless. Whoever controls the AI makes the money. That is why they stole art all over the internet to "train" it to do something. Nothing but a program. Nothing more. Look forward to standing in line for a bowl of soup in your version of the future. I'll be watching the next round of lawsuits from artists and writers.

I dub thee Loophole Man. There are artists who do copy styles. The artists who do not, and who have a great style, get the big bucks. Sure, people copy. That's why they produce "how to draw" books. Then, once you figure out how it's done, you look for work.

That's exactly what I friggen' said. That's how humans learn to do art. Or engineering. Or agriculture. Yap on all you want about creativity, but 99+% of everything ever is someone copying what someone else did before. And it could not be otherwise. *Useful* creativity *without* a basis of "what went before" seems virtually impossible.

You can toss the Turing test. Useless.

I dub thee... nothing. Because that's juvenile. You wave away the Turing Test, yet do not actually argue rationally against it. Because you know deep down that it's valid.

Machines can do many things men can do. Soon they will do more. Some people seem to think that they are somehow special, that *their* skills and abilities are immune from being replaced by machines, or aliens, or immigrants. Guess what: everyone is replaceable. There are no skills or talents or abilities that are divinely granted to you and only you.

I dub thee Loophole Man. There are artists who do copy styles. The artists who do not, and who have a great style, get the big bucks. Sure, people copy. That's why they produce "how to draw" books. Then, once you figure out how it's done, you look for work.

That's exactly what I friggen' said. That's how humans learn to do art. Or engineering. Or agriculture. Yap on all you want about creativity, but 99+% of everything ever is someone copying what someone else did before. And it could not be otherwise. *Useful* creativity *without* a basis of "what went before" seems virtually impossible.

You can toss the Turing test. Useless.

I dub thee... nothing. Because that's juvenile. You wave away the Turing Test, yet do not actually argue rationally against it. Because you know deep down that it's valid.

Machines can do many things men can do. Soon they will do more. Some people seem to think that they are somehow special, that *their* skills and abilities are immune from being replaced by machines, or aliens, or immigrants. Guess what: everyone is replaceable. There are no skills or talents or abilities that are divinely granted to you and only you.

Oh, get a clue. I know self-proclaimed "artists" that have no clue about how to actually draw. I recently got an email from a guy who wanted to do something "creative" for my company - after a long phone conversation. I read his rambling missive. He finally admitted, near the end, that he had no actual "skill." Kind of like a guy who cut metal for a living and who also claimed to be a frustrated "artist." "I can cut any shape in metal." Yeah? Try imitating 3-D with a pencil and paper.

The value of engineers is not book knowledge. You're handed a problem and asked to solve it. The guy with the best solution gets promoted.

In the past, artists did not understand perspective drawing. That's why a lot of the really old stuff looks so off. Oh they tried. Then someone figured it out, the knowledge spread and 3-D paintings appeared. Idiots on youtube try to get you to click on their site because they have this or that "art secret" and what they want is to sell ads and make money. They've got nothing. People studied the "old masters" to learn their "secrets." There are none. Once you master the basics, you can do work as good as the best of the recent past. Problem is, too many people are distracted by secrets and looking for the "easy way." There is no easy way.

And agriculture? Seriously? How much skill does it take to get on a tractor every day and plow the back 40? Sure, you need to know when to plant, put in fertilizer and a few other things, but aside from a wide-brimmed hat - perseverance is the key.

All bow down to the Turing test !!! Give me a break...

In my opinion, in the future intelligent robots will do all the dangerous and nasty things I wouldn't do for money... Lawyers?

Wishful thinking. Nothing but wishful thinking. Also, you seem to think artistic talent is not real.

Art is meh. Current art will go the way of theater and the post modern trend would be ever stronger. Consumers of "low" art is already moving into self sufficiency in real time, while price tag always flow towards real scarcity as opposed to productivity.
------
The thing to look at this:

Strategy is not a intractable problem for AI systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.