AI art and creative content creation

Status
Not open for further replies.
One spin on the concept of AI art and creative content creation is in today's email from Hakai Magazine,
which they also offer to be viewable as a web page,

Like wide-eyed Schmidt, marveling that the world she remembered fondly is still intact, I’m humbled by how tirelessly my colleagues have worked this past year to deliver trustworthy and carefully crafted coastal stories, carrying on the mission we launched the magazine with nearly nine years ago. One difference I’ve noticed is that with AI bursting onto the scene, computer-generated spam story pitches flood our inboxes every day. It takes a real person to pick through them so as not to miss anything legitimate. ChatGPT and friends, I shake my fist at you.

Images ex nihilo

"Mere?" I couldn't do it.
So? I couldn't restore a Rembrandt, Bosch, or Picasso either, let alone a whole silent movie, but there are people who can. Cleaning up digitized imagery using pixel interpolation, noise cleaning, and other approaches really just doesn't seem like such an astonishing feat in this day and age.

Last edited:
So? I couldn't restore a Rembrandt, Bosch, or Picasso either, let alone a whole silent movie, but there are people who can. Cleaning up digitized imagery using pixel interpolation, noise cleaning, and other approaches really just doesn't seem like such an astonishing feat in this day and age.
There are people who can write screenplays and those who can act. AI will soon replace *them* just as handily as its replacing those who can clean up digitized imagery.

I think it’s possibilities have some spooked

This article has an interview with the artist behind “Loeb:”

Pickman 2.0

Words fail:

There are times I can almost identify with iconoclasts:

Trek figured out
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KFz-2TEFPZ0

Last edited:
Just was on Tumblr and came across a reblog of this commentary,

The allure of AI entices those people who fetishize ideas but dismiss the work. They’re the people who tell writers, “I’ll give you the idea, then you write it, and we’ll split the profits.” For them, the vision is everything, and the work is just an annoying obstacle. But the WORK is everything. The work is how a thing happens, where it’s made, where skill is put to work. AI in creativity is for the people who have no skill, no work, no effort, no ethic.

They just want to push a button.
Chuck Wendig

View: https://keepcalmandwritefiction.tumblr.com/post/739868564304117760/the-allure-of-ai-entices-those-people-who

It says a lot about us...

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/watch-ameca-the-robot-reveals-dark-fears/ ;)

Last edited:
Just was on Tumblr and came across a reblog of this commentary,

"But the WORK is everything."

Hogwash. That 80-in 4K TV? I don't care if it was delicately crafted by artisans, or spat out by a replicator. I just want the thing to do what it's supposed to, reliably, safely and inexpensively. That hamburger? Same principle. And if "entertainment" can be spat out by a machine that put very little effort into it... well, it it holds my interest as effectively as the mega-movie that consumed the labors of thousands, most people just aren't gonna care. People don't go to see the latest Marvel movie because whole armies of artists labored at the CGI. They go to it - or not, as the case increasingly is - because it's effective eye candy.

A whole bunch of procedurally generated (aka AI) thumbnails from a channel posting old out of copyright movies. They are trying to disguse what they are posting.

Attachments

• Aelita_Queen_Of_Mars.png
    Aelita_Queen_Of_Mars.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 15
  • American Beast - Discover The Truth.png
    American Beast - Discover The Truth.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Attack_Of_The_Eye_Creatures.png
    Attack_Of_The_Eye_Creatures.png
    123 KB · Views: 10
  • Cloned_The_Recreator_Chronicles.png
    Cloned_The_Recreator_Chronicles.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Creature_From_The_Haunted_Sea.png
    Creature_From_The_Haunted_Sea.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Indestructable_Man.png
    Indestructable_Man.png
    138 KB · Views: 9
  • Man_Beast.png
    Man_Beast.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Mountain_Devil.png
    Mountain_Devil.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Portal_Runner_Parallel_Worlds.png
    Portal_Runner_Parallel_Worlds.png
    138 KB · Views: 10
  • The Mad Monster.png
    The Mad Monster.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 12
AI images

On audio AI

Hologram

Who are the gatekeepers?

Open shutter

Last edited:
And you will never be able to read "The Parable Of The PB Sammich And The VCR" without reading it in this voice:

450px-Brother_Maynard.jpg

You're welcome.
You asked for it:

I heard the same thing voiced by real human beings while taking art classes at University in the 1970s. Automated baloney is still baloney.
So I take it you never make photographs, but hire a full-time painter to paint a picture of anything you want to have image of?

So I take it you never make photographs, but hire a full-time painter to paint a picture of anything you want to have image of?

I have a background in photography. I am an assistant art director where I work. I recently received a message from a painter requesting a review of his art for possible employment.

I have a background in photography. I am an assistant art director where I work. I recently received a message from a painter requesting a review of his art for possible employment.

How dare you? (c) How dare you replace the art of painting with souless action of machine? Did you ever think, how much damage you caused to artist by promoting stealing of the images right from Nature? :)

This is true. But automated baloney is probably cheaper than manual baloney. Thus Hollywood, which is industrialized baloney, will soon be fully automated
Actually, more likely that Hollywood would semi-collapse, and a new center of cinema would be founded by smaller studios - to whom AI would be the way to compete with established mega-coprs like Disney.

Until Disney buys them for a forkton of money.... Fires half their own staff and replaces everyone it can miss with an AI. The movies flop at the boxoffice because the story is the tenth rehash of Pocohontas... They blame the remaining staff and replace them with AI too... Still there movies remain to suck.... Very odd...

Until Disney buys them for a forkton of money....
That assumes Disney even exists in a few years. Recent efforts demonstrate that they've become quite adept at losing money on properties that should be licenses to print money. They'd probably be better off if they turned things over to a chatbot.

Actually, more likely that Hollywood would semi-collapse, and a new center of cinema would be founded by smaller studios -
It seems not unlikely that the future of cinema will be decentralized. With more and more of the actual tools of movie-making being made so that it doesn't matter where you are, there's little reason to cluster in one city. As actors are replaced with mo-cap or AI inventions, there'd be far less need to draw from a pool of actors all in one place.

That assumes Disney even exists in a few years. Recent efforts demonstrate that they've become quite adept at losing money on properties that should be licenses to print money. They'd probably be better off if they turned things over to a chatbot.

The company I work for is currently working with a large Hollywood studio in a licensing project. I make it a point to keep track of developments in Hollywood. Your projections are way off the mark. The people who run things want to continue to run things with people. Talented people. Once again, real people. And audiences want real people to admire, not digital fakes.

Please don't bring up animated cartoons. I know you know what I mean.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-william-shatner-ai-kirk-after-death/

• William Shatner is open to AI recreating him as Captain Kirk, but only if he's already dead. He doesn't want AI to do it while he's alive.
  • If Shatner is deceased, he advises his family to give permission for AI to recreate him as Captain Kirk, as long as they are paid well.

• William Shatner is open to AI recreating him as Captain Kirk, but only if he's already dead. He doesn't want AI to do it while he's alive.
  • If Shatner is deceased, he advises his family to give permission for AI to recreate him as Captain Kirk, as long as they are paid well.
Quite reasonable position, actually.

Quite reasonable position, actually.
Yes. An actors appearance, voice and bearing are their own property to do with as they wish, to ban or permit AI copying. I can understand not wanting to see yourself replaced while you're still about; it makes all kinds of sense to allow your heirs to market your AI-avatar afterwards.

OpenAI, which owns ChatGPT, has been hiring lawyers.
They may be utilized in several ways ...

ChatGPT is violating Europe’s privacy laws, Italian DPA tells OpenAI​

Natasha Lomas @riptari / 1 week

While the Italian authority hasn’t yet said which of the previously suspected ChatGPT breaches it’s confirmed at this stage, the legal basis OpenAI claims for processing personal data to train its AI models looks like a particularly crux issue.

This is because ChatGPT was developed using masses of data scraped off the public Internet — information which includes the personal data of individuals. And the problem OpenAI faces in the European Union is that processing EU people’s data requires it to have a valid legal basis.

The GDPR lists six possible legal bases — most of which are just not relevant in its context. Last April, OpenAI was told by the Garante to remove references to “performance of a contract” for ChatGPT model training — leaving it with just two possibilities: Consent or legitimate interests.

Given the AI giant has never sought to obtain the consent of the countless millions (or even billions) of web users’ whose information it has ingested and processed for AI model building, any attempt to claim it had Europeans’ permission for the processing would seem doomed to fail. And when OpenAI revised its documentation after the Garante’s intervention last year it appeared to be seeking to rely on a claim of legitimate interest. However this legal basis still requires a data processor to allow data subjects to raise an objection — and have processing of their info stop.

How OpenAI could do this in the context of its AI chatbot is an open question. (It might, in theory, require it to withdraw and destroy illegally trained models and retrain new models without the objecting individual’s data in the training pool — but, assuming it could even identify all the unlawfully processed data on a per individual basis, it would need to do that for the data of each and every objecting EU person who told it to stop… Which, er, sounds expensive.)

Beyond that thorny issue, there is the wider question of whether the Garante will finally conclude legitimate interests is even a valid legal basis in this context.

ChatGPT resumes service in Italy after adding privacy disclosures and controls​

Natasha Lomas @riptari / 9 months

https://techcrunch.com/2023/04/28/chatgpt-resumes-in-italy/

For example, it is not clear whether Italians’ personal data that was used to train its GPT model historically, i.e. when it scraped public data off the Internet, was processed with a valid lawful basis — or, indeed, whether data used to train models previously will or can be deleted if users request their data deleted now.

The big question remains what legal basis OpenAI had to process people’s information in the first place, back when the company was not being so open about what data it was using.

The US company appears to be hoping to bound the objections being raised about what it’s been doing with Europeans’ information by providing some limited controls now, applied to new incoming personal data, in the hopes this fuzzes the wider issue of all the regional personal data processing it’s done historically.

ai generated images make me increasingly sad and tired the more i see them in more and more casual contexts. i dont know how to explain, but it just fills the world with a bunch of nothing. no matter how visually stunning the pictures might be, there’s nothing behind it for me. no dedication, no emotions, no feelings, no hard work or creativity, nothing i can truly think about, admire or enjoy. i dont think thats how art is supposed to be
#ill never wonder why the curtains are blue
#its just the algorithm

View: https://legitimately.tumblr.com/post/741704128274776064

Status
Not open for further replies.