Aeromarine Type XII and Type XIII night bomber projects

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A page from Airpower, January 2002 issue, shows a specualtive drawing of the Aeromarine
Type XIII night bomber, based on few available data from the Aeromarine files. Tis type is
mentioned on the aerofiles.com site, as "Type XIII Night Bomber 1924 - 4pOhwM; two 350hp "Model W" engines;
span: 115'0" length: 65'0" load: 12,250# v (est): 95/x/55. Airfoil-shaped fuselage. Not built.
"
As is pointed out in the caption, the drawing is a speculative one, with details, the designers
probably could (and would!) have done better. Maybe someone has seen other sources or
drawings ?

Attachments

• Aeromarine_Type-XIII.gif
    Aeromarine_Type-XIII.gif
    206.4 KB · Views: 927
The Type XII and Type XIII bomber projects of 1924 were two variants of the same basic Aeromarine model, the L.D.B. (meaning unknown).

The Type XII had four engines in push-pull configuration, while the Type XIII had an airfoil-shaped fuselage and Model W engines.

Thanks a lot for this scan, which marks the only time I've ever seen a depiction of the L.D.B. bomber.

Wow!!! Fantastic. Sadly I can add more information.

Some questions: Why this shape? Vicent Burnelli was related to the company in some way? In the aerofiles sites he is in the previous plane:

[font=arial,helvetica]"Sportsman 1917 = 2pOB; 100hp Aeromarine V-8; span: 47'0" length: 26'8" load: 700# v: 78/x/48. Vincent Burnelli. Civil version of Aeromarine 39-B. POP: 1. Refitted with floats, it made the first aerial delivery of mail to a ship at sea on 8/14/19.[/font]"

But the sportsman seems to be a very conventional airplane.

Anyone has more information about the "model w" engine? Could be great to know the data in the Aeromarine files.

Now that you mention it, it is true that this Aeromarine design has Burnelli written all over it! Now you've made me real curious!

Of course, the Burnelli mention in Aerofiles might have been misplaced (wrong item), but more likely, Burnelli pretty much did whatever was asked of him when at Aeromarine, including conventional biplane designs if that was required.

I think the CB-16 looks a lot like this plane.

Attachments

• cb_16.jpg
    cb_16.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 648
Hi,

I hope to get a drawing to Aeromarine Type-XII also.

Not absolutely sure, but the L.D.B. may have stood for Light Day Bomber. The Type designation is a US Army Air Service designation. Type XI was for Day Bombardment aircraft and Type XII was for Night Bombardment Short-range (e.g. Martin NBS-1, LWF NBS-2 etc) and Type XIII was for Night Bombardment Long-range (e.g. Witteman-Lewis NBL-1). This series of designations were used from 1919-1924.

Also during that time period (1924-1926) the USAAS light bomber designation (LB) came into use (e.g. Keystone's LB series LB-3 to LB-14).

Aeromarine is known to have responded to the Type XII and Type XIII requests (both Night Bombers), but I'm wondering if their original idea was to submit a 'light day bomber' design to fill the role that was only supplied by Gallaudet DB-1 (Day Bombardment), for the Type XI role. Food for thought.

Thank you Dynoman,

and the Type XI is new for me.

The Model W was the McCook Engineering Division Model W motor that was part of the Type XI specification. The Type XII specification originally had Liberty engines defined as the powerplant of choice. RFP's were sent out in September 1920 for manufacturers to submit their designs for individual or multiple Types.

Three-view drawings, weights, structural performance, estimated aircraft performance and drawings that indicated all equipment and armament installations were required by the McCook Engineering Division, and award amounts of $2500 to $5000 (1920 USD) were given to to the 'most satisfactory designs.'

The Model W was a 700hp at 1700rpm engine that weighed 1500 lbs. It was developed at McCook and was the Army's design point powerplant for several of the aircraft Type specifications.

Data: Aviation Magazine December 27, 1920 pg 491

Dynoman thanks a lot for the info. So Model W engine was project too. Very interesting.

Dynoman said:
Three-view drawings, weights, structural performance, estimated aircraft performance and drawings that indicated all equipment and armament installations were required by the McCook Engineering Division, and award amounts of $2500 to $5000 (1920 USD) were given to to the 'most satisfactory designs.'
Oh, that's we need Three-view drawings, really.

Regards
Alcides

As noted per the history of prolific early aircraft designer, Boris von Korvin-Kroukovsky, in my Edo aircraft posts…Before BVKK founded the Edo Aircraft Company with Earl D. Osborn, in 1925, he worked as Engineer in Charge of Design, at Aeromarine Plane & Motor Company. Just a FEW of his designs included the EO, The Aeromarine 40, and the Aeromarine Type XII, Short Distance Night bombardment Airplane. Among his personal archives are one of the sideview drawings and a twelve page EXTREMELY detailed proposal report, with various design and weigh charts, for the Type XII. Submitted Feb 26, 1923. * I Only have the sideview dwg, but DO have the Numbers for the other six view dwgs

I have tried to summarize some of the main features and specs of this aircraft. The Original report, signed by BVKK (as is the dwg) gives weights of almost every small part and feature of the aircraft, down to signal pistols, ammunition, radiators, wheels, gun and engine mounts, etc in page after page. I am assuming much of this material and information is previously unknown, and happy to share it.

The Aeromarine Type XII was a design with four 420Hp Liberty engines in tandem nacelles. The upper wing span was 108 ft, and the lower wings spanned 98 ft. The wing Chord was 12 ft. The empty weight was 11,845 lbs, and the Gross flying weight was 20,600 lbs. A SIGNIFICANT FEATURE was that the entire aircraft was designed to be constructed of sheet duraluminum, with the exception of fabric covered wings. The claim was made that “any part may be shot away without the destruction of the strength of the complete structure.” The wings, alone, weighed 3,070 lbs, and it could carry 2,100 lbs of bombs, along with a considerable amount of armament (weight 2,675 lbs.)

It met the Service requirements for railroad shipment, as the complete aircraft could be shipped via standard size rail cars, with no special provisions or modifications, in 15 crates.
Stall speed was 51 mph, and high speed was 128.5 mph

Attachments

• bvkk2i.jpg
    bvkk2i.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 258
  • bvkk3i.jpg
    bvkk3i.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 243
  • bvkktw.jpg
    bvkktw.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 219
Memaerobilia thanks a lot. Very interesting. Can I ask if you have the side view on more resolution ?