Abbott Farnham Sailplane (Alert)

mrys

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
mrys.artstation.com
Hi All.
Looking for any drawings of sailpane designed by T. C. Letcher and built in 1930 by E.D. Abbot company called "Abbott Farnham sailplane" or Alert (as it was marked on nose). No problem to find some info, but drawings are different story.

Attachments

• 949-1.jpg
    949-1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I found this drawing in 'British Gliders & Sailplanes', page 72.

Abbot-Farnham 'Alert'.jpg

I don't think it's particularly accurate, but looking at the photo's you've posted, the 'Alert' looks to follow the 'Darmstadt School' of design, it's very similar, to my eyes at least, to the 1927 'Wurttemburg', and also the 1929 'Musterle'.
See 'Sailplanes 1920-1945', Martin Simons, pp. 30 - 37.

Darmstadt 'Musterle'.jpg Darmstadt 'Wurtemburg'.jpg

cheers,
Robin.

Only inaccuracy in the text description from British Gliders & Sailplanes', is that the Alert took part in the German competition in 1930. It was supposed to, but according to 'The Sailplane' Sept 6 1930 edition; 'There was great disappointment that the two British entries failed to arrive. These were the Alert, an interesting new sailplane which has been built by E. D. Abbott Ltd. of Farnham, and a Professor, which was to have been flown by a member of the London Gliding Club.'
If any members wish to see this for themself then it can be seen on http://www.lakesgc.co.uk/mainwebpages/Sailplane & Glider 1930 - 1955/Volume 1 No. 1 Sept 6 1930.pdf

Only inaccuracy in the text description from British Gliders & Sailplanes', is that the Alert took part in the German competition in 1930. It was supposed to, but according to 'The Sailplane' Sept 6 1930 edition; 'There was great disappointment that the two British entries failed to arrive. These were the Alert, an interesting new sailplane which has been built by E. D. Abbott Ltd. of Farnham, and a Professor, which was to have been flown by a member of the London Gliding Club.'
If any members wish to see this for themself then it can be seen on http://www.lakesgc.co.uk/mainwebpages/Sailplane & Glider 1930 - 1955/Volume 1 No. 1 Sept 6 1930.pdf

Yes, I knew that. As I remember even on Wiki is information, that finally Alert was not present then.

I found this drawing in 'British Gliders & Sailplanes', page 72.

View attachment 697535

I don't think it's particularly accurate, but looking at the photo's you've posted, the 'Alert' looks to follow the 'Darmstadt School' of design, it's very similar, to my eyes at least, to the 1927 'Wurttemburg', and also the 1929 'Musterle'.
See 'Sailplanes 1920-1945', Martin Simons, pp. 30 - 37.

View attachment 697536View attachment 697537

cheers,
Robin.
Robin,

I think the overall layout is closer to the Westpreussen series, even more so since one of them was the ill-fated "Cloudyacht" purchased by the Lyons Tea company and I'm pretty sure the designer must have taken a nice, close-up look to it. Still, Laubenthal's designs bore a resemblance to the Darmstadts.

Do you happen to know if there's a 3-view plan of the Cloudcraft (Dickson) Phantom in Ellison's 'British Gliders & Sailplanes'? Can't find that book anywhere.

Cheers,

Javier

Do you happen to know if there's a 3-view plan of the Cloudcraft (Dickson) Phantom in Ellison's 'British Gliders & Sailplanes'? Can't find that book anywhere.
Unfortunately not, I've been looking for drawings of the Phantom for years with no success

Yes, a tracing of the sailplane on the ground. Plenty of references to the project in The Sailplane and Glider but never with a 3-view. Pity as Dickson was an interesting character with several good-looking designs to his credit. Phantom 8.jpg

Last edited: