Looks to me like a propeller-driven flight simulator with prop wash hitting the extra control surfaces to help with roll. The ring around the fuselage looks like the pivot for rolling the simulator.
The primary goal was probably training new pilots. The machinegun in the aft cockpit looks like an "artifact" of conversion from a real two-seater scout.

The primary goal was probably training new pilots. The machinegun in the aft cockpit looks like an "artifact" of conversion from a real two-seater scout.

No, this 'apparatus' was at FBS Schwerrin or Fliegerbeobachter-Schulen. So, it was almost certainly intended to train observers - hence the mounted gun.

I agree with Apophenia , but now a question : which WW I aircraft has been modified ?

This could be an A.E.G. C or J .... but I am not sure at all ...

Last edited:
Looks like a AEG JII with the elevator repositioned to the top of the fuselage and a makeshift elevator added to the horizontal stabilizer. However, I'm still not sure. This design could simply be a composite of different available aircraft parts to build a simulator.

Attachments

• aeg_j_ii-86740.jpg
    aeg_j_ii-86740.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: