« Kaze Tachinu » ("The Wind Rises"): Miyazaki's new anime movie

Orionblamblam said:
Once a non-English word enters the English language, it's *ours.*

Works both ways... We play basket and take our car to the parking... Purely French words!

Orionblamblam said:
Doesn't France have some sort of government agency that spends its days ulcerating about English words sneaking into French, and inventing French equivalents?

If you're referring to the Académie Française, it is the oldest French institution in activity. I wouldn't call it a "government agency" although it certainly gets public money as many cultural agencies do. They are a bunch of old farts, writers for the most parts and the occasional politician... They wear a nice suit and discuss for hours on end on the validity of accepting this or that word, and are basically totally useless. It's the street, the workplace, the media that dictate what words really get used and what words don't, not a college of 70-year-old-plus snobbish guys totally out of touch with everyday language. They publish their own multi-volume dictionary every 10 years or so (which no-one reads or owns because it is big, expensive and irrelevant).... but they have the right (and the publishers, the obligation) to add "... de l'académie française" after their names, and it's guaranteed to give prestige and even attract sales I guess.

But in Quebec, sticking to French is not just a culteral institution, it is the law.

Finally, in a desperate attempt to stay on topic:

As a long time wing nut and aviation professional, I just love any movie or book that romantizes any aspect of the aviation industry. We have feelings too. Given the close ties of aviation and the military, any such romantizing always runs the risk of offending people touched by war. Kind of unavoidable, I guess.

blackkite said:
The First of The Few. I don't watch this movie yet.
Spitfire...
Somebody should really make a film about Beatrice Shilling.
(She made a great improvement to the Merlin engine, and seems an otherwise interesting person too)

blackkite said:
Please remember that the country which performed the war of aggression in the past is not only Japan.

I watched this movie in Hiroshima today. It'a fictionalized private history of Jiro Horikoshi(and Kiro Honjo).
Hayao Miyazaki loves 9-shi carrier fighter very much. Very maniac movie. This movie described following aircrafts.
Junkers G.38, Junkers F13, Caproni Ca60 Transaereo, Mitsubishi Hayabusa-sjiki fighter(1927), A3M, A5M, A6M, etc

blackkite thanks a lot for you insight on the movie. I'm a Miyazaki fan so add it the planes and I'm in the heaven. I hope this one will be released on cinemas here in Argentina.

Alcides said:
blackkite said:
Please remember that the country which performed the war of aggression in the past is not only Japan.

I watched this movie in Hiroshima today. It'a fictionalized private history of Jiro Horikoshi(and Kiro Honjo).
Hayao Miyazaki loves 9-shi carrier fighter very much. Very maniac movie. This movie described following aircrafts.
Junkers G.38, Junkers F13, Caproni Ca60 Transaereo, Mitsubishi Hayabusa-sjiki fighter(1927), A3M, A5M, A6M, etc

blackkite thanks a lot for you insight on the movie. I'm a Miyazaki fan so add it the planes and I'm in the heaven. I hope this one will be released on cinemas here in Argentina.
You are welcome. It's my great pleasure,too.
In 1923, Japan(Mainly Tokyo) suffered very big earth quake called Great Kanto earthquake. This movie also described this tragedy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Great_Kant%C5%8D_earthquake

I could make a very long list for instance or such English/French and French/English nonsense...

On top of the list is the unfortunate "fan" - the fanatic and "the machine that makes artificial wind" = ventilateur.

And you have no idea how Google translator translated "George Walker Bush" in French - something like a "walking bush of george"

That, and the joke "serial killer / cereal killer" is totally ruined (the man who kills cereals - there goes the humour...) ::)

Orionblamblam said:
Also, imagine a fictionalized movie about the early life and adventures of one Werner von Braun, from a wide-eyed kid dreaming of the stars to a successful program manager launching the first rocket into space. Imagine such a movie *not* dealing with the larger picture... where did he get the funding, who's pulling the strings and what their goals are. Sure, it's possible. Fictionalize it enough and you can ignore a lot. But it'd be damned peculiar, and a lot of people would be annoyed.

"The Andrei Tupolev Story: Now without that pesky political prison stuff."

Werner Von Braun was caught in a Faustian pakt to realize his dream or be shoot by SS for High treason.
would hell of a movie about Werner Von Braun early work, only it would get in US a NC-17 or R18 in Great Britain,
because V2 production at Mittlerwerk belong to darkest moment of Human History
were SS killed concentration camps prisoners, by let them build the facility and produce V2/V1 until they died horribly
over 20000 people die this way to produce 5200 V2 and 6000 V1.
9000 died from exhaustion and collapse, 350 were hanged (including 200 for sabotage), and the remainder died from disease or starvation or were shot.

Michel,

I wouldn't go so far as to say he was "caught" in such a pact. That implies some degree of unwillingness on Von Braun's part. Werner was far, far too smart and adept a political operator to have deluded himself about the deals he was making and who (or what) he was dealing with. Others of lesser intellect in Germany fully realized the evil they were facing and stood up to it even when it cost them their lives. Werner? He didn't just "have the tiger by its tail," instead, he had it saddled up and was riding that tiger with a gusto.

A man of less political adeptness would've either wound up "against the wall" at the hands of the advancing Soviet troops. Von Braun, instead, collected the "best & brightest" left from Penemunde and made a bee line for the nearest US Army unit he could find. And once he placed himself in their hands he made quite sure they knew just who he was, who his pals were, and what wonderfully uber-deadly uber weapons they all had been working on - weapons that they were only too happy to continue working on - for the _WESTERN_ allies.

The man was anything if he was not a great salesman with an awesome political sense of things.

Thus, there's no way he could NOT have known it was a Faustian bargain he was signing his soul to. This, even way back when in the 1920s.

Just read "Die Rakete und das Reich" (The Rocket and the Reich) by Michael J. Neufeld. Following the
author, Wernher von Braun was more Goethes "pupil in magic", who lost control of the project he started.
Nevertheless, his interest was just this project and not the people, who had to realise it and died for it.

Hi!

Attachments

• Tatsuo_Hori.jpg
    Tatsuo_Hori.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Ayako Yano fiancee of Tatsuo Hori.jpg
    Ayako Yano fiancee of Tatsuo Hori.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 173
  • Ayako Yano.jpg
    Ayako Yano.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Sumako Horikoshi, Wife of Jiro Horikoshi.jpg
    Sumako Horikoshi, Wife of Jiro Horikoshi.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 138
Michel Van said:
Werner Von Braun was caught in a Faustian pakt to realize his dream or be shoot by SS for High treason.
would hell of a movie about Werner Von Braun early work, only it would get in US a NC-17 or R18 in Great Britain,
because V2 production at Mittlerwerk belong to darkest moment of Human History
were SS killed concentration camps prisoners, by let them build the facility and produce V2/V1 until they died horribly
over 20000 people die this way to produce 5200 V2 and 6000 V1.
9000 died from exhaustion and collapse, 350 were hanged (including 200 for sabotage), and the remainder died from disease or starvation or were shot.

Interestingly, a von Braun movie was produced in 1960 in Britain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Aim_at_the_Stars

I haven't seen that one, but yesterday I watched The Wind Rises and truly enjoyed it from a pure entertainment perspective.