Author Topic: Tacit Rainbow: Northrop AGM/BGM-136 Anti-Radar Drone  (Read 7867 times)

Offline TinWing

• What-if addict
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Tacit Rainbow: Northrop AGM/BGM-136 Anti-Radar Drone
« on: February 22, 2006, 10:43:13 am »
Here is a 3-view drawing:

http://www.ausairpower.net/Tacit-Rainbow-3View-S.jpg

Carlo Kopp's article:

http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-AGM-130-136.html

From Andreas Parsch's website, Designation Systems:

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-136.html

The only modern equivilent to the Tacit Rainbow program is the IAI Delilah, although a previous failed attempt had been made to produce an anti-radar drone for the B-47 bomber....but that is the topic of a future thread.

Offline Meteorit

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: Tacit Rainbow: Northrop AGM/BGM-136 Anti-Radar Drone
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:54:53 am »
Does anyone have an idea how far work on the ground-launched BGM-136B got? And, for that matter, on the ground-launched MGM-137B TSSAM variant?
Also, why the ground-launched Tacit Rainbow was designated BGM and the TSSAM MGM although they both were to be launched from MLRS launchers?

Offline Andreas Parsch

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 01:26:15 pm »
Does anyone have an idea how far work on the ground-launched BGM-136B got? And, for that matter, on the ground-launched MGM-137B TSSAM variant?

I don't know for sure, but I'll risk a guess (well, two guesses, actually  ;) ).

The TACIT RAINBOW was essentially a USAF program, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Army's BGM-136B variant was more like a formal statement saying "See, this is a joint program, so we deserve more money ..". In reality, I've never read anything about the ground-launched variant except that it "existed" (formally, at least).

As for the ground-launched TSSAM, I'd guess that this reached the flight test stage. The Army was in the program for 7 years (1986-93), and it would be rather strange if they had just watched the development of the air-launched missile all the time. Unfortunately, it appears to be rather difficlut to get any firm information on TSSAM at all, including e.g. a decent photo.

Also, why the ground-launched Tacit Rainbow was designated BGM and the TSSAM MGM although they both were to be launched from MLRS launchers?

Theoretically, it could mean that the ground-launched TACIT RAINBOW had only few modifications, so that it was still air-launchable as well. This would justify the B letter (denoting "Multiple Launch Options"). OTOH, it could also (and at least as likely) be just another screwed-up designation  :) .

Offline Meteorit

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 01:52:05 pm »
Thanks for the reply, Andreas. And welcome to the forum!

Offline TinWing

• What-if addict
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 09:57:34 am »

I don't know for sure, but I'll risk a guess (well, two guesses, actually  ;) ).

The TACIT RAINBOW was essentially a USAF program, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Army's BGM-136B variant was more like a formal statement saying "See, this is a joint program, so we deserve more money ..". In reality, I've never read anything about the ground-launched variant except that it "existed" (formally, at least).

As for the ground-launched TSSAM, I'd guess that this reached the flight test stage. The Army was in the program for 7 years (1986-93), and it would be rather strange if they had just watched the development of the air-launched missile all the time. Unfortunately, it appears to be rather difficlut to get any firm information on TSSAM at all, including e.g. a decent photo.

Theoretically, it could mean that the ground-launched TACIT RAINBOW had only few modifications, so that it was still air-launchable as well. This would justify the B letter (denoting "Multiple Launch Options"). OTOH, it could also (and at least as likely) be just another screwed-up designation  :) .

I would think that after the Army lost its GLCM inventory to an arms reduction agreement, the ground launched Tacit Rainbow might have seemed like an orphan.

If the GLCM represented a core capability in the European theatre, the BGM-136B might always have been seen as a subsidiary system - hard to justify in the face of declining budgets.

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 09:47:03 pm »
MGM-137B got as far as early flgiht test demonstrations (five if memory serves me correctly after more than a decade) which showed a few development problems.  The flight test that would've demonstrated the resolution of the majority of these problems was fueled and ready to go at the test site when this variant of TSSAM was cancelled.  The Army version did have some distinct differences  from the air-launched versions in order to maximize volume usage and payload while staying within the length envelope of the MLRS "box".  It was propelled from the launcher to operating speed by two 10 ft. long, six in. dia. solid rocket moters that boosted it from a stand-still to Mach 0.4 in 10 seconds.  How do I know all this?  Simple, I was an engineer on TSSAM from early 1989 through the end of the program and most of that time I specialized in certain aspects of the Army variant.

Offline James1978

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 03:40:10 pm »
I would think that after the Army lost its GLCM inventory to an arms reduction agreement, the ground launched Tacit Rainbow might have seemed like an orphan.

The GLCMs were never an Army asset, they belonged to the USAF

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 07:06:32 pm »
Ground-launched TSSAM was in the first round of development flight tests.  The final test of this round was due to go the day after the US Army cancelled it's participation in the program.  This test would've tested a number of fixes from problems we'd found in the previous tests.  Believe me, the test footage of the launch was always quite impressive; the footage of the last actual test flight was rather less so due to problems that were found and subsequently corrected.  The test previous to that one was nearly picture perfect.  I know, I was on that program with special responsibilities for the Army variant.  If the Army hadn't pulled out, there was also an extended-range variant under preliminary design that traded a modest drop in payload for significantly more range.

Now, yes, I know the differences between the air-launched and ground-launched versions, but I'm not at all sure if I'm yet allowed to get too detailed here.

Oh, there was also a very preliminary study on combining aspects of the ground-launched and air-launched vehicles to produce a ship-launched one.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 08:45:37 pm »
Ground-launched TSSAM was in the first round of development flight tests.  The final test of this round was due to go the day after the US Army cancelled it's participation in the program.  This test would've tested a number of fixes from problems we'd found in the previous tests.  Believe me, the test footage of the launch was always quite impressive; the footage of the last actual test flight was rather less so due to problems that were found and subsequently corrected.  The test previous to that one was nearly picture perfect.  I know, I was on that program with special responsibilities for the Army variant.  If the Army hadn't pulled out, there was also an extended-range variant under preliminary design that traded a modest drop in payload for significantly more range.

Now, yes, I know the differences between the air-launched and ground-launched versions, but I'm not at all sure if I'm yet allowed to get too detailed here.

Oh, there was also a very preliminary study on combining aspects of the ground-launched and air-launched vehicles to produce a ship-launched one.

Gotta quesiton for you.  A while back in the Correspondence section of AvWeek a writer commented on a JASSM photo that was run of it flying through the door of a bunker or something.  They said essentially it wasn't such a great feat as they'd done the same thing with TSSAM years earlier and that THAT photo had also been run in AvWeek.  I vaguely remember the picture.  Any chance you might have it for upload?  ;)
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 11:08:08 pm »
I don't have it for upload after this time (not even certain I can find the bloody thing), though the unclassified video of it is part of a declassified sales tape that I've got in with all my other VHS tapes.  The flight test was one of the first of the Navy air-launched versions and was picture perfect, hitting the center of the simulated window so close that it took out the camera behind the window.

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 10:30:07 pm »
I had occassion to check with a co-worker who used to work on Tacit Rainbow, the ground-launched version never got beyond the proposal stage.  *chuckle* He tells me that there was a joke about  doing a scaled-down version for use by autos against police radar. :D

Offline Meteorit

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 02:17:30 pm »
I had occassion to check with a co-worker who used to work on Tacit Rainbow, the ground-launched version never got beyond the proposal stage.  *chuckle* He tells me that there was a joke about  doing a scaled-down version for use by autos against police radar. :D

OK, so the "mystery" has been solved. Thanks for your valuable input, Evan.

Offline BillRo

• Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 12:23:07 pm »
Elmayerle confused this topic a little by introducing information on the TASSM stealthy cruise missile program run out of Northrop Aircraft Division in Hawthorne. The Tacit Rainbow, later the AGM-136A, was an anti-radar loitering drone and was done by Northrop Ventura Division at Newbury Park. It was a joint Navy/Air Force effort and flight test was accomplished at China Lake with Navy assets. The Air Force provided their aircraft when needed (F-16, B-52) and some captive flights launched out of Edwards. The Air Force were responsible for the container.

I got to the program as production design was starting, so had nothing to do with the configuration. As to the question about Army involvement, I saw a video of a test article being ejected out of a launcher (MRLS?) but it was not too successful as the item sort of trickeled out of the end. By '85 there was no sign of Army involvement.

Attached are some of the information I collected when the project was revealed to the public. Since a significant number of missiles were flown before it was cancelled. perhaps this topic should be moved to Military.

Offline BillRo

• Top Contributor
  • CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 12:58:08 pm »
And a few more.

Offline AeroFranz

• Aerospace Engineer
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 08:20:01 am »
YES! Thanks BillRo, you made my day. I had been waiting for a long time to get better info on Tacit Rainbow. One thing in particular puzzles me: the wing swivels 90 degrees upon deployment, but does it also get 'sucked up' to nest itself between the front and aft belly fairings?
The picture labeled 'TR assy' and the picture with three AGMs on an F-16 show something that looks like a fixed triangular horizontal surface that is not present in all the other pictures. Was that a result of flight testing? not enough static margin?
I am also curious about the way the fuselage end with a 'double-bubble' cross section. The top circle is for the engine, but what was the bottom one for?
Sorry about all the questions, but Tacit Rainbow is a pretty neat vehicle with lots of curious solutions!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:01:38 pm by AeroFranz »
All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics.   TSR.2 got the first three right - Sir Sydney Camm