44 KB · Views: 625
  • jsf-boeing-chart2.jpg
    jsf-boeing-chart2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 628
  • jsf-boeing-chart3.jpg
    jsf-boeing-chart3.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 640
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great pics! No matter what angle you look at it, the "F-32" sure would have been an ugly SOAB!!

She was pretty to those of us that were close to her ... and the PWSC was better!

Attachments

• Dsc_0001.jpg
    Dsc_0001.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 446
  • Dsc_0011.jpg
    Dsc_0011.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 446
  • Dsc_0035.JPG
    Dsc_0035.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 465
  • P0000888.jpg
    P0000888.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 477
  • PWSC-Hangar.jpg
    PWSC-Hangar.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 456
In the revised form she didn't look too bad if you could get beyond the giant chin intake. Though I suppose old A-7 pilots would have no problem with that.

Colonial-Marine said:
In the revised form she didn't look too bad if you could get beyond the giant chin intake. Though I suppose old A-7 pilots would have no problem with that.

ABSOUTLEY! (I took this photo at Andrews AFB back in 2001)

Attachments

• P0000916.jpg
    P0000916.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 1,894
When I saw the STOVL PWSC mockup at Farnborough, I honestly thought for a moment that they had sawed off the wingtips to fit the shelter.

What are the open doors next to the nose gear for? Did they use those instead of a translating cowl for more flow at low speed on the redesigns? Is it where the RAT was located?

doors are for pitch nozzles

flateric said:
doors are for pitch nozzles
Interesting. They were probably using bleed air from the fan, maybe even hoping to use them to create a curtain of air to help prevent hot gas re-ingestion?

Sundog said:
What are the open doors next to the nose gear for? Did they use those instead of a translating cowl for more flow at low speed on the redesigns? Is it where the RAT was located?

Here's a visual for you of how the STOVL propuslion system looked on the X-32B and what it would have looked like if there had been an F-32B.

Attachments

• Boeing_JSF_PWSC_STOVL-1.jpg
    Boeing_JSF_PWSC_STOVL-1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 552
  • Boeing_X-32_DL.jpg
    Boeing_X-32_DL.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 482
XB-70 Guy said:
The X-32 must have been 'hit with an ugly stick.' -SP
It fell out of the Ugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down, some twice ;)

Greetings All -

A recent donation to the Museum had this Boeing JSF/X-32 card in it.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xBoeing JSF handout-1.jpg
    xBoeing JSF handout-1.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 661
  • xBoeing JSF handout-2.jpg
    xBoeing JSF handout-2.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 721
You know, those photos of the F-32 don't look so bad regardless of that chin-intake. The original X-32 design was about the ugliest thing I've seen though.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqRHJDkE63ZdBY26BOzosPqgH!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqRHJDkE63ZdBY26BOzosPqgH!~~60_12.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 496
  • $(KGrHqN,!iUE7Hfhcz)BBOzo0zYpTw~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!iUE7Hfhcz)BBOzo0zYpTw~~60_12.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 541

Attachments

• calf_boeing_01.jpg
    calf_boeing_01.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 475
fightingirish said:
Wow, never seen before... :eek: B) :)

It's elsewhere on this forum, and not something thought of very highly if I remember correctly...
A not-very-realistic design probably published by a so-called "science" magazine.

it was pure artist's what-if from MRF article published Polish Lotnictwo magazine #23-23/1992

Attachments

• MRF_Lotnictwo.jpg
    MRF_Lotnictwo.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,385
I don't recall having ever seen that before. Wasn't a JAST design.
Stargazer2006 said:
fightingirish said:
Wow, never seen before... :eek: B) :)

It's elsewhere on this forum, and not something thought of very highly if I remember correctly...
A not-very-realistic design probably published by a so-called "science" magazine.

Sorry if this has already been posted and I just can't find it, but does anyone have any artwork or photos of models or mockups of the Pelikan tail iteration of the Boeing JSF? Cheers, Matthew

I must be one of the few people that actually quite likes the look of the X-32. Ugly? For sure! But there's something quite individual about it in my opinion. Here's a few walk-around pics taken a couple of years ago at Patuxent River. They don't do justice to how chunky it was up close, or the fact that it's suffered a bit out in the humidity. Still, a cool little museum and well worth a visit!

Attachments

• x-32.jpg
    x-32.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,195
  • x-32-2.jpg
    x-32-2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,151
  • x-32-3.jpg
    x-32-3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,125
  • x-32-4.jpg
    x-32-4.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 674
Vulcan652 said:
I must be one of the few people that actually quite likes the look of the X-32.

One of the few, no doubt. But you're not alone.

I still love it. And PWSC too. Not so plain boring outside as X-35 was.

i love this plane too better looking and interesting then the F-35
now only to find correct one in 1/72 ;D

flateric said:
it was pure artist's what-if from MRF article published Polish Lotnictwo magazine #23-23/1992

Revell or Airfix Draken fuselage between wings from an off scale B-58, F-18 horizontals, and that odd little tail-end part from a Testors Stealth Fighter kit - though, I can't remember if it's the U.S. one or the Soviet one. Not a 'What-if' as much as a 'well, this one looks cool, lets go with it' illustration.

Vulcan652 said:
I must be one of the few people that actually quite likes the look of the X-32. Ugly? For sure! But there's something quite individual about it in my opinion. Here's a few walk-around pics taken a couple of years ago at Patuxent River. They don't do justice to how chunky it was up close, or the fact that it's suffered a bit out in the humidity. Still, a cool little museum and well worth a visit!
I like the x-32 as well. The lifting body shape, along with the thick yet highly swept wing. Was cool looking to me. The x-35 became the lightning II, the x-32 if produced should have been the Sabre II. To me the production version looked like the F-86 Sabre.

There is a youtube video walkaround at patuxent of both the x-32 and x-35.
http://youtu.be/OLPiCTfRA-o

http://youtu.be/1BZGgvhqs5g

kcran567 said:
The x-35 became the lightning II, the x-32 if produced should have been the Sabre II.

Is this a personal opinion, or actual info? And if so, do you have any source to circumstanciate it?

I always thought it looked much more like a stealthy A-7. One of these days I'll have to build a model of that PWSC design. Does anyone know why the chin intake is swept back on the PWSC when it was raked forward on the X-32?

Stargazer2006 said:
kcran567 said:
The x-35 became the lightning II, the x-32 if produced should have been the Sabre II.

Is this a personal opinion, or actual info? And if so, do you have any source to circumstanciate it?

Pure speculation. I knew a lot of the names which were contenders for the F-35. One of them was the Musketeer. As in the Three Musketeers since we have 3 versions.