Tachikawa-Lockheed Type-B high altitude research plane (SS-1)

lark

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The SS-11 was an experimental aircraft for cabin pressurization experiments.
To speed up work , parts of the Lockheed type LO (Japanese version of the Lockheed model 14-38)
were used.(wings,rear fuselage section and tail surfaces)
The SS-11 was completed in May 1943.

lark said:
To speed up work , parts of the Lockheed type LO (Japanese version of the Lockheed model 14-38)
were used.(wings,rear fuselage section and tail surfaces)

Making the SS-1 an interesting parallel to the Lockheed 10 Electra-based XC-35.

I have one more question that may seem a little odd.

Behind the Ki-83 is a football-shaped object. Is this just a machine or is this another project?

Attachments

• unknown_1.jpg
    unknown_1.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 583
  • unknown_2.jpg
    unknown_2.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 563
If I had to hazard a guess, it is a fuselage for one of the other three Ki-83 prototypes.

Winston said:
I have one more question that may seem a little odd.

Behind the Ki-83 is a football-shaped object. Is this just a machine or is this another project?

looks to thick for ki-83 but could be the tachikawa ss-1

yes thats the the one. i have been looking for anything on the web about it but came up short for some reason. if you look at the picture that winston posted there appears to be a wing attachment point very close to the nose like the ss-1

I don't think it is the SS-1. If you look closer at what appears to be a wing attachment point, it looks more like a nose canopy to me as it appears there is a flexible machine gun mount in it (possibly in front of the object in question). And if it is an attachment point for a wing, seems too far forward for the SS-1 and you can't see any cockpit features on it.

shaba said:
yes thats the the one. i have been looking for anything on the web about it but came up short for some reason. if you look at the picture that winston posted there appears to be a wing attachment point very close to the nose like the ss-1

I think you are on the right track. The item in front of the fuselage does, in fact, resemble the nose glazing for the Ki-67. I don't see a gun port housing for the cannon in the fuselage for it to be a Ki-109 but it could be a Ki-67-I ( or To-Go) or maybe even a Ki-167 (doubt this, though...given the secrecy given to that project). Mitsubishi was involved in the Ki-67-I production so, it would make sense that it might be sitting in a Mitsubishi facility.

Just expanding on this theory. ;D

windswords said:
Could it be a Ki-109 without the nose cannon?

Hi! The Tachikawa-Lockheed Type-B High altitude Research-plane(SS-1).
She had the pressurized cabin. Base was Lockheed 14Y. Basic design was performed by Dr.Hidemasa Kimura, the designer of Koken-ki, A-26 long lange aircraft, Kawanishi TB and YS-11. The cabin shape was similar to A-26's.

In 1938, the IJA ordered Tokyo Imperial University to develop high altitude research aircraft.
The basic design of this aircraft begun from 1940. The specification for this aircraft were as follows.
①Number of crews;5 to 7, ②To have pressurized cabin. ③Cruising altitude; 8.000m to 10,000m.
④Endurance;5 to 6 hours. ⑤The pressurized cabin keep 3,000m condition in 8,000m flight.
⑤Utilize Lockheed 14Y's main wing, stabilizers, landing gears.
No1 aircraft completed in August 1943 with Mitsubishi HA-102 modified Zuisei engines(2 stage super charger type), tested. No2 aircraft completed in 1944, BTW stop test and development because priority was low.
This pressurized cabin technology was applied to Tachikawa Ki-74 long range high altitude bomber and Ki-94 high altitude high speed interceptor.
Wing span:19.964m, Length:11.758m, Height;3.46m, Wing Area:51.2 square meter,
Empty weight;5,157kg, Gross weight;6,740kg, Maximum speed;475km/h(5,800m),
Cruising speed;360km/h(8,000m), Service ceiling;10,000m, Endurance;5.6hr,
Engine;Mitsubishi modified HA-102(take off power;1,80hp, 1,055hp(2,780m), 955hp(5.760m)
Source;My No1 and No2 bible.

Attachments

• Tachikawa SS-1.jpg
    Tachikawa SS-1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 443
  • SS-1 3-SIDE VIEW.jpg
    SS-1 3-SIDE VIEW.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 273
  • SS-1 model 1.jpg
    SS-1 model 1.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 155
  • SS-1 model 2.jpg
    SS-1 model 2.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 121
Hikoki1946 said:
....maybe even a Ki-167 (doubt this, though...given the secrecy given to that project).

I had always thought that this was an American photo, so no need for secrecy. :p

It may very well be. My Japanese book source with that photo in it doesn't state a source. There is another view of the same shot from behind and to the side of the Ki-83. In one, you see a Japanese man in the image, one seemingly in a uniform or work clothing. In the other photo, a man is way in the background and appears in dark colored clothing with a bicycle in front of him. There doesn't seem to be a lot of damage to the facility and there isn't a lot of clutter like you see in other post-war photos. So, it may be a roll-out of the Ki-83 rather than it being photos of a captured one?

Who can say for sure. ;D

Winston said:
Hikoki1946 said:
....maybe even a Ki-167 (doubt this, though...given the secrecy given to that project).

I had always thought that this was an American photo, so no need for secrecy. :p

New topic split from the old "Japanese Projects before 1945" thread...