• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Zeppelin "Fliegende Panzerfaust"

moin1900

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I am searching for every Information about this Project.
What about the armament? (pure rammer, RZ65 Rockets or Sprengstoffträger).
http://www.luft46.com/misc/zepfpf.html
What about the Pilots Position in the Aircraft, could the Pilot eject?
Thanks in advance

lark

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Dear Moin ,

With all respect , put internet sources are not the most dependable sources of information
about such an 'esotheric' subject like- End of WW II German projected designs.

You will find much more profound info in a few good books about this theme.

For example : Die Deutschen Raketenflugzeuge 1935-1945
Joachim Dressel/Manfred Griehl-Motorbuch Verlag-Germany
and : The 'Luftwaffe Secret Projects' series . 3vols.
Dieter Herwig & Heinz Rode -Midland Counties Publ. England.
to name a few.

Good luck.

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Moin,

I agree with lark. Luftwaffe Secret Projects are excellent volumes.

Two more:

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-Planes-Third-Reich-Vol/dp/0914144367/ref=pd_sim_b_title_1

http://www.amazon.com/Luftwaffe-Advanced-Aircraft-Projects-1945/dp/1857802403/ref=pd_sim_b_title_2

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Reject that:

http://www.amazon.com/HITLERS-MIRACLE-WEAPONS-9-Unconventional/dp/1874622620/ref=pd_sim_b_img_5

That's not a serious source (and really expensive) :mad:

Cobra Kebab

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
What kind of misinformation does it contain? Perhaps a "anti-disinformation" thread would be in order?

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps a "anti-disinformation" thread would be in order?

We are working seriously on it. Look at this:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3704.0.html

Vladimir

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Hi, the Fliegende Panzerfaust was a rocket-powered design meeting the demand for a low-cost aircraft in a very-short-range interceptor role. It was a parasite aircraft meant to be towed behind a Messerschmitt Bf 109G for which it had a special long nose. Powered by six Schmidding SG 34 rocket engines, three on each side on the rear half of the fuselage, the Fliegende Panzerfaust was a small plane with a v-tail, a wingspan of 4.5 m and a length of 6.0 m.

This Zeppelin-built aircraft would have been released upon reaching combat altitude above the enemy bomber fleet. Shortly before contact with the combat box below it would ignite its six solid-fuel rocket engines, attacking the target bomber by firing two 73 mm RZ 65 air-to-air missiles at an extremely close range. The front half of the aircraft which had the pilot lying in a prone position in the cockpit would then split from the other half. Both parts would land separately with parachutes, being later retrieved and reused. Owing to the extreme risks for the pilot inherent in its operation this aircraft is sometimes referred to as a suicide weapon.

(pictures from http://rec.aviation.military.narkive.com/IEotbj2X/fliegende-panzerfaust )

Attachments

• fdtghthgtgh.jpg
    fdtghthgtgh.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 239
  • ydtrhytrdytr.jpg
    ydtrhytrdytr.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 225

newsdeskdan

Top Contributor
Reaction score

I've yet to see any period documents relating to the 'Zeppelin fliegende panzerfaust'. The 'Zeppelin rocket-propelled ramming aircraft', aka 'Zeppelin rammer', is included in German Aircraft: New and Projected Types from January 1946 - but not the 'fliegende panzerfaust'.
Regarding the 'Zeppelin rocket-propelled ramming aircraft', the British report makes it clear that it exists only as a drawing - there are no accompanying documents to provide any context in terms of development etc.
So what can we say about the 'fliegende panzerfaust'? Well, firstly, as far as I can tell there were two organisations which bore the 'Zeppelin' name in Germany during WW2. Both of them did design aircraft but doing so wasn't really the primary concern of either.
1. Luftschiffbau Zeppelin (LZ) based at Friedrichshafen. This is presumably the company referred to in the link posted in reply #7 as 'Flugzeugbau Zeppelin'. During the war, LZ seems to have carried out a lot of wind tunnel work under contract - primarily for Dornier and Daimler-Benz, testing wings, engine nacelles, radiators etc. It also seems to have done a lot of work on rocket aerodynamics, including the A4 (V2), Drache and Wasserfall. On the airframe side, it seems to have carried out contract work on large aircraft, particularly the Messerschmitt Me 323, Junkers Ju 290 and Dornier Do 24.
2. Forschungsanstalt Graf Zeppelin (FGZ) based at Stuttgart. This organisation did a lot of work on parachutes - including bombs dropped using parachutes, brake parachutes, the aerodynamics of parachutes etc. - experiments with firing into water, acoustics, medicine and physiology, wing containers (such as that weird experiment with personnel pods on the wings of a Ju 87), the V1 launch ramp, pulsejets and experimental anti-bomber weapons. It also designed a small V-tail pulsejet fighter (having solved the vibration problem) which would have used components from the Bf 109 and He 162.
German Aircraft: New and Projected Types lists only two projects under the heading 'Zeppelin', the rammer and the gigantic Z SO 523. The latter must have been designed by LZ but the rammer? It could have been LZ or FGZ. Similarly, the V-tail 'fliegende panzerfaust' doesn't really seem like an LZ project - although I couldn't entirely rule it out.
So we don't really know which organisation designed the 'fliegende panzerfaust', assuming it's 'real'. What about the description given: "a rocket powered parasite interceptor designed by Germany in 1945 as part of the emergency fighter program with a single mockup built". I would suggest that this is entirely wrong. There was no emergency fighter programme except for Volksjaeger - and a rocket-powered rammer would certainly not have been suggested for that requirement. The 1-TL-Jaeger programme, similarly, was intended to eventually produce a replacement for the Me 262, or He 162, or both. It was longer-term and demanded a high-performance cannon-armed fighter powered by an HeS 011 turbojet. Again, no room for a rocket-propelled rammer.
I suppose the 'fliegende panzerfaust' would sit best with the aircraft tendered for the Objektschutzjaeger requirement. Some designs in this field were intended to be towed aloft - such as the Messerschmitt P 1104, Blohm & Voss P 186 (BV 40) and DFS Eber. Was a single mockup actually built? There is really no evidence for that whatsoever. The object pictured is, as I'm sure you're aware, simply a modern mockup based on the modern drawings.
Unfortunately, we know practically nothing about the design labelled 'Zeppelin fliegende panzerfaust', and nothing that has been written about it seems likely to be accurate.

Last edited: