Yakovlev's little-known gliders

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
The fact that Yakovlev designed gliders at some early point in his career recently came as a surprise to me. On closer look, however, none of his designs ever made it to full-scale machines, but several of them were flown in model form.

Attached pictures:
  • An undated plan of the A.V.F.10 glider project drawn by Yakovlev himself.
  • A photo of the A.V.F.20 model in flight
  • A model of a glider made by ​​Yakovlev himself during the 1920s (now on exhibit at the Yak OKB's museum).

Attachments

• ABF-10 plan.jpg
    ABF-10 plan.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 362
  • ABF-20 glider in flight.jpg
    ABF-20 glider in flight.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 281
  • planer.jpg
    planer.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 233
A little follow-up to what I wrote previously: despite the fact that the pilot in the A.V.F. 20 picture truly looks like a little wooden figure, there was a full-scale A.V.F. 20 that flew, as shown in the attached picture dated 1927.

Now the icing on the cake here is that third character from left is none other than the great S. P. Korolyev, ever a personal friend of Yakovlev's and a man who single-handedly changed the face of Soviet aerospace!

I have finally put my hands on the article which spawned all three images in this thread, and as soon as I have translated it I will share on this page, and hopefully we'll get to understand better the level of involvement that Yakovlev had in gliders.

Attachments

• ABF-20 and crew.jpg
    ABF-20 and crew.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 224
Maveric said:
I believe the name is A.W.F., not A.B.F.

Silly me!!! Of course it wasn't A.B.F.! It was A.V.F. The old "B" vs. "V" confusion in Cyrillic. How could I fall for that once again? Thanks a lot Maveric for restoring the truth and bringing some sense back into my confused mind!!! :-[

For more on the A.V.F. designations, see: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,18716.0

Hi,

here is a drawing to A.V.F-34 glider.

Attachments

• avf-34.jpg
    avf-34.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 121