Yakovlev Yak-28Sh

Vasily41

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hello,

Is there any information and/or drawings of the Yak-28Sh? It competed with the Ilyushin Il-102, and Sukhoi T-8, but was eliminated at an early stage.

Are you sure it was Yak-28, not 25?
As far as I know, Yakovlev's proposition for this contest was Yak-25LSh (or simply Yak-LSh):

lsh_04-jpg.191206
lsh_06-jpg.191210

It has been listed as Yak-28Sh in some publications, but Yak-25LSh is correct to my knowledge.

Last edited:
In the Yefim Gordon Aerofax, 2007...

The Yakovlev 0KB had developed its own
Yak-LSh light 'shturmovik', details of which are,
surprisingly, still classified,
although from information
published in the open press this
appears to have been based on a highly modified
version of the Yak-28 Brewer light supersonic
tactical bomber. However, following its
elimination from the PD project stage of the
competition, all further work on this particular
design was terminated.

Picking up some Yak-38 vibes too in certain elements, the two-seat trainer conversion nose looks very similar to the Yak-38U. Perhaps Yakovlev had lost its innovative edge in that period?

As far as I know, Yakovlev's proposition for this contest was Yak-25LSh (or simply Yak-LSh):

I am sure there was a Yak-28Sh because in Assaltatori ed Aerei da Attacco al Suolo Russi e Sovietici (ISBN 9788875654221) the table of contents lists Yak-LSh and also Yak-28Sh (I downloaded a preview of the book).

From the 3-view Paul has posted, the wings are clearly those of the Yak-25, but the tailplane surfaces seem closer to those of the Yak-28 than the Yak-25 (note the lower rudder trim tab stops short of the top of the rudder section). The Yak-28 was also more recently in production at the time of design, so it seems odd they would revisit the Yak-25. Perhaps the airframe was a hybrid of Yak-25 and 28 elements? That could explain the confusion perhaps?

Well lets ask the author, @visvirtusvoluntas or the illustrator, @borovik or even the publisher, @Nico :) Hopefully there's a good source for this.

I found the answer for it all. I was skimming through the table of contents I downloaded, looking for "28Sh" and found only one. Looking back through again, I totally missed the "Ilyushin Il-" that was connected to it!

From the 3-view Paul has posted, the wings are clearly those of the Yak-25, but the tailplane surfaces seem closer to those of the Yak-28 than the Yak-25 (note the lower rudder trim tab stops short of the top of the rudder section). The Yak-28 was also more recently in production at the time of design, so it seems odd they would revisit the Yak-25. Perhaps the airframe was a hybrid of Yak-25 and 28 elements? That could explain the confusion perhaps?

That's a solid explanation for it. Thank you for clearing things up.

Presumably the Yak-25 wings were used as optimal for the mission. Yak-28s swept wings are not useful in a Shturmovik type.

1) The 1969 Yak-LSh or Yak-25 LSh project (mid-plan) was based on the basis of the Yak-25 interceptor fighter
2) The amended version of the project (high-wing plan) of 1971 bore the official designation Yak-LSh-2 (inside the design bureau it was secretly called Yak-28Sh)
It should be noted that between them was another intermediate version of this project.
3) The link provided by redstar72 is an article by Viktor Drushlyakov from Aviation and Space Review.
google translation

Attachments

• Clip_4.jpg
    Clip_4.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 136
  • Resize of Clip_5.jpg
    Resize of Clip_5.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 149
  • Resize of Clip_6.jpg
    Resize of Clip_6.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 140

I am sure there was a Yak-28Sh because in Assaltatori ed Aerei da Attacco al Suolo Russi e Sovietici (ISBN 9788875654221) the table of contents lists Yak-LSh and also Yak-28Sh (I downloaded a preview of the book).
Dear Vasily,
the aircraft derived from Yak-25, not Yak-28. As noted earlier by Borovik, Yak-28Sh was an internal designation not related to the production Yak-28.
In the book this designation has not been reported.

Dear Vasily,
the aircraft derived from Yak-25, not Yak-28. As noted earlier by Borovik, Yak-28Sh was an internal designation not related to the production Yak-28.
In the book this designation has not been reported.
Yes I had realized that error that I made.

Last edited: