Kratos XQ-58A Valkyrie

afrl-autonomy-testing-graphic.jpg

I think The Drive missed an important piece unveiled by the photo: the trailer axles and tyres give an interesting estimate of the system weight...

I haven't in mind the value but those axles are rated. If we deduce the trailer own weight and boosters, I would be really surprised if Mako can really reaches the stated 6000lb maximum launch weight in this configuration.

xq-58-drone-runway-independence.jpg

Last edited:
Empty weight is supposedly 2500lbs. I'm not sure how that could ever get up to 6000; with around a thousand pounds of stores that implies a fuel fraction of ~50%? It does seem unlikely that platform could support that weight.

Is there any published figure for the size of the XQ-58's internal bay?

Empty weight is supposedly 2500lbs. I'm not sure how that could ever get up to 6000; with around a thousand pounds of stores that implies a fuel fraction of ~50%? It does seem unlikely that platform could support that weight.
And the other hand there is no cockpit, that saves considerable space for fuel.

Going to offer a wild guess of a single quad SDB rack. Definitely big enough for one of these though.

Area-I Altius-600

The ALTIUS-600 UAS has a length of 1m and wingspan of 2.54m, while its gross weight is 12.25kg (27lb).

Have you tried contacting their salespeople via email? They have been responsive for me in the past.

This source says at least two SDBs.

The internal weapons bay can hold and deliver at least two GBU-39 small diameter bombs, while the combat UAV can also carry lethal weapons on its wing stations.

How do they plan to handle a 2400lb airframe without wheels? Have a crane nearby at all times.

I’d trade having to keep a crane truck available for having to use a runway any day, at least for a UAV in this size and cost range.

I haven't in mind the value but those axles are rated. If we deduce the trailer own weight and boosters, I would be really surprised if Mako can really reaches the stated 6000lb maximum launch weight
I did a quick search of tandem axle boat trailers (they look generally similar to the picture) and found max useful loads of up to 8,000-9,000 lbs. So seems like 6,000lbs launch weight should work (but I’m not a trailer expert).

There is obviously axles with that load out. But those are probably not those. Look closer, see what kind of profile is used for the axle, what kind suspension is mounted, try to guess the nbr of blades in it, the U bracket that hold the axles in place...

Compare also the tires with the one you see that comes with 10000lb axle kits.

And then see what hooking system they use, what's the height of it, for what type of vehicle...

Last edited:
Like I said a little research helps.

Here’s what a 6,000lb trailer looks like… clearly not as solidly built as the Valkyrie trailer.

IMG_8689_800x.jpg

Here’s what a 10,500lb trailer looks like… bigger tires. The Valkyrie trailer is in between, likely around 8-9,000lbs.

IMG_2662_800x.jpg

My experience tells me 7000lb or more. You have to include vehicle towing capacity in rugged terrain. But in anyway, there is no way you could tract a 6000lb airframe fitted with 600lb boosters on a 3000lb (equipment included) trailer.

(I am surprised they didn't go for aluminum)

It look as if they are hollowed, like for an ejector effect (airframe skin protection against the heat of the exhausts). I haven't noticed that prior to your remark but, in the picture above, the flames from the exhausts look to have been edited.

Notice also how lean is the launch cradle.

It seems also that the flight ctrl computer is active as early as when the aircraft leave the trailer. See the ruddervator deflection. Ryan's drones were launched then activated if my memory stands right.

Last edited:
While other companies and potential competitors are imagining things with PowerPoints renditions, models and surrogates, Kratos is currently flying and has been flying for several years under U.S. Government funded contracts here in the United States.

That...

From BiO alias:

The US Air Force Research Laboratory led a successful three-hour sortie, July 25, 2023, demonstrating the first-ever flight of artificial intelligence agents (algorithms) controlling an uncrewed jet aircraft – the XQ-58A Valkyrie

Kratos says 600lbs internally. (and another 600lbs externally).

If it could fit an SDB quad-pack, that's the same width and length as a 2000lb bomb. That said, based on weight I don't think it can carry more than 2x SDB internally. Based on size of GBU-39, that bay is probably on the order of 18-20" wide, 10-12" deep, and a bit over 72" long. Edit: It's probably longer than that so it can hold AMRAAMs as necessary.

(Grumble, I know I saw a set of dimensions for the Mk84 2000lb bomb or a 2000lb GBU, IIRC in either a A-12 thread or A/F-X thread. Been looking for 30+min now, haven't found it.) Edit 2: GBU-31s are ~150"/3.8m long and 25"/65cm wide.

Last edited: