X-Planes of Europe II: Military Prototype Aircraft from the Golden Age

Krishna_j

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Has anyone read X-Planes of Europe II: Military Prototype Aircraft from the Golden Age by Tony Butler ?

It looked very similar to the Volume which came out many years back by Butler and a French author - but a quick glance showed it double the size and a few more additions on French aircraft

It doesn't duplicate content - its just more prototypes from Europe which weren't in the earlier book.

Thanks - can anyone post the contents page on the prototypes - are there any swedish aircraft included ?

ok - found out that the HA-300 is covered along with 3 Dassault prototypes - G8 & Balzac

Perhaps on another visit will pick up a copy

I've got a copy, I can post a photo of the contents page tomorrow.

Here are the contents.

Attachments

• contents X-planes of Europe II.png
    contents X-planes of Europe II.png
    900.9 KB · Views: 427
I just received my copy of this book, I own most of Tony Buttlers work and I was concerned that I wouldn't find anything new in this volume. I am happy to say I was very wrong, it was fascinating with some new planes to me e.g the Beslinvog B12 and some wonderful illustrations of the one I knew well. The color wet runway trials photo of the 525 is just beautiful. Well worth the money.

Got my copy and its as good as X-Planes of Europe (I) and I'm now waiting for no. III. I think these books are the sleepers of the whole Secret Projects, X-Planes library. By focusing on planes that flew or at least came close it appears to limit the subject matter but there is plenty of new photos, data and new aircraft within the two volumes to date. And frankly its just scratching the surface. For example there is a page and a half just mentioning some of the French ground attack and COIN aircraft: Potez 75, SIPA S1100 (which was new to me), MS 1500, Sud Voltiguer, Dassault Spiralle. That's five 4-8 page chapters just there for a third volume.

I just got my copy today (they do take longer to get to the "colonies"), and it's fabulous. I enjoyed reading about the "pre-prototypes" that led to many of the famous British jet fighters: Hunter, Swift, Scimitar, Sea Vixen, Lightning. And all those French prototypes that, conversely, led to nothing. Also how the Hispano HA-300 wound up in Egypt. I suppose that there is enough out there to make a volume III? Thank you, Tony!

Not having received an answer I renew my request. Could anybody who has this book post a picture of the table of contents?

thanks in advance

Best

F_T

From Tony

Many Thanks indeed to you all for your kind comments regarding X-Planes Vol II. They are very welcome and it is nice to know that I have managed to hit the mark with a book which I really enjoyed putting together.

I'm afraid we currently have no plans for an X-Planes Volume III. We did consider pulling together the prototypes and experimentals from countries like Australia, Argentina, Canada, etc, into one book, but the problem here is that there is no single market to which a title like that could be aimed, so sales might be a big problem.

We did once consider a post-war European engine test beds book as well, but the worry there was making sure we didn't miss anything out (Dave Forster's forthcoming book will do a superb job in covering the Canberras by the way). So at the moment I am not sure how we will move forward with the European side. And I am committed to other titles for about the next 2-3 years.

ford_tempo said:
Not having received an answer I renew my request. Could anybody who has this book post a picture of the table of contents?

thanks in advance

Best

F_T

Contents of Volume II are posted above.

Thanks for the answer Paul, but I made a mistake with the topics.....What I was really asking was a picture of the table of contents of volume I.

I will post the question in the appropriate topics.

best

F_T