World Submarine Family Tree research megaproject

covert_shores

Research + illustration
Reaction score
Website
www.hisutton.com
I hope that you won't mind that this only shows built designs, but I think it's relevance to unbuilt projects is straightforward. I've always been interested in how some designs influenced others, even if there wasn't always a transfer of data/direct knowledge. But I couldn't find anything really bringing that together, so I made this. http://www.hisutton.com/World-Submarine-Family-Tree.html

Already on its second iteration. Feedback and corrections welcome!

Attachments

• World-Submarine-Family-Tree.jpg
    World-Submarine-Family-Tree.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 135
I hope that you won't mind that this only shows built designs, but I think it's relevance to unbuilt projects is straightforward. I've always been interested in how some designs influenced others, even if there wasn't always a transfer of data/direct knowledge. But I couldn't find anything really bringing that together, so I made this. http://www.hisutton.com/World-Submarine-Family-Tree.html

Mr. Sutton, in my humble opinion, great information! Your website "Covert Shores" is a great resource.

Though I am no expert, I offer the following book to those with an interest in this family tree.

covert_shores has some information also available in handy internet free forms. Very useful.

Attachments

• 51EvTm8EtGL._AC_SY350_.jpg
    51EvTm8EtGL._AC_SY350_.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 9781541392304-uk.jpg
    9781541392304-uk.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 51q+N1PpE-L._AC_SY350_.jpg
    51q+N1PpE-L._AC_SY350_.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 75
Though I am no expert, I offer the following book to those with an interest in this family tree.

That book is excellent.

Hm, I see one problem. Quebec-class (Project 615/A615) was not related to Project 613. It was a descendant of pre-war M-class ("Malyutka") coastal submarines, to be specific, of experimental M-401 submarine, laid up in 1939, tested in 1942-1944, commissioned in 1946. M-401 was experimental sub to test the concept of oxygen supply for underwater propulsion, later implemented on Project 615 submarines.

Excellent job. I'm not very knowledgeable on submarines, but I do know that on the french side was a legacy of a Type XXI sub seized at the end of WWII. It can be seen at the extreme left of the family tree.

Hm, I see one problem. Quebec-class (Project 615/A615) was not related to Project 613. It was a descendant of pre-war M-class ("Malyutka") coastal submarines, to be specific, of experimental M-401 submarine, laid up in 1939, tested in 1942-1944, commissioned in 1946. M-401 was experimental sub to test the concept of oxygen supply for underwater propulsion, later implemented on Project 615 submarines.
Thanks. Yes I agree that there is a relationship back to earlier designs not shown on the chart. It is the same for some other postwar subs. But the QUEBEC also incorporated influences from Type-XXI. The Russian line (actually all national lines) is simplified into as few branches as practical. I did however branch QUEBEC off a) to emphasize its differentness b) because I had the luxury of space there to allow that. Actually at first I'd left it off as something of an outlier but added it in second iteration.

Thanks. Yes I agree that there is a relationship back to earlier designs not shown on the chart. It is the same for some other postwar subs. But the QUEBEC also incorporated influences from Type-XXI. The Russian line (actually all national lines) is simplified into as few branches as practical. I did however branch QUEBEC off a) to emphasize its differentness b) because I had the luxury of space there to allow that. Actually at first I'd left it off as something of an outlier but added it in second iteration.
Understood, thanks for explanation! Must admit, I a bit specific fond of Project 615, because of their unique drive system. Dangerous to use, sure, but on the last boat of the series the safety problem was solved by switching from stored oxygen to sodium superoxide. Solid crystals, much easier & safer to store, released oxygen when heated over 100C - essentially perfect submarine fuel for 1950s. Unfortunately, with the first nuclear subs being commissioned, chemical submarines were for some time viewed as "obsolete by definition", and all works stopped. A pity, actually.