Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Wings of Russia Studio has created a fascinating 18-part, so far, documentary series titled Wings of Russia that documents the history of Russian and Soviet aviation. The episodes are available on DVD in the Russian and English languages. Alas, it is only seems to be available for order in the PAL television format. So we are out of luck in the United States and Japan (NTSC) or France (SECAM), unless you have a region-free DVD player that can play PAL DVDs and output to NTSC or SECAM.

Episodes in the series include:

Episode 1. "'Fighters: The First Victories"
Episode 2. "Fighters: The Stormy Years"
Episode 3. "Fighters: The Jet Era"
Episode 4. "Fighters: A Struggle for Superiority"
Episode 5. "Bombers: The Flying Armada"
Episode 6. "Bombers: The Cold War"
Episode 7: "Attack Aircraft and Front Line Bombers: Above the Battlefield"
Episode 8. "Attack Aircraft and Front Line Bombers: The Jet Strike"
Episode 9. "Civil Aircraft: The Air Carriers"
Episode 10. "Civil Aircraft: Wings Over Continents"
Episode 11. "The Wing-in-Ground-Effect Systems: At the Edge of Two Environments"
Episode 12. "Amphibians: The Steel Albatross"
Episode 13. "Helicopters: The Air Rovers"
Episode 14. "Helicopters: Soldiers and Workers"
Episode 15. "Training and Sports Aircraft: A Road into the Sky"
Episode 16. "Naval Aviation: On the Naval Service"
Episode 17. '"Military Transport Aircraft: Flying Heavyweights"
Episode 18. "Reconnaissance Planes: The Sky Outwatch"

URL: http://shop.wingstv.ru/category/wings_series/

Really cool stuff! ;D

They also have a series titled Armour of Russia that I haven't seen.

Attachments

• istr1_enl.jpg
    istr1_enl.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 44
Does anyone have “Su-27 and it’s modifications” Су-27 и его модификации by wings of Russia? It has an trailer or demo on the Disk for a “Su-35 flight Academy” simulator by the defunct company Graph Land. I’m trying to gather info on this.

I have a multi-system DVD player so I may go for this. Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, the link that you provided results in a 404 error. Can you correct it?

It appears that this series actually came out back in 2008. I get the impression that the publisher is now defunct and all the links to its website are broken.

It appears that this series actually came out back in 2008. I get the impression that the publisher is now defunct and all the links to its website are broken.
The chances of a DVD series that came out14 years ago still being in production are slim at best. However, it seems to be on YouTube:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm34OTrKmxc&list=PLVv7pqeHswO8HLwo_k9i8lA0BrU8rwvJw&index=1

The full playlist has been on YouTube since 2013, so it's unlikely to get yoinked in the immediate future.

I had the chance to buy many of these DVDs from Russia before they became unavailable. Note that there are also DVDs on particular planes, like the Mig-25, the Tu-160, the Tu-22 Backfire, the Mi-8, the Frogfoot, the Su-57and probably others... Some have a translation in English, but the latter were only in Russian.

Check out Wings of the Red Star. Awesome narration and though pretty introductory it is very well done and is pretty accurate. Was pleased to see someone finally uploaded the jump jet episode. The collection is one of the best in the series produced by Discovery.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bxIPTULRV64
Could not agree with you more. This series is amazing and I am so glad someone put these on YouTube. I remember watching Discovery Wings episodes as a kid after school. Looking back now, Discovery Wings docs were what started my love for aircraft. And this particular set, Wings of the Red Star, had me fall down the rabbit hole of all things Soviet. This was when Discovery made amazing documentaries. I would love to find all of the Wings of the Red Star episodes on a DVD set.