• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Why the Mig-31 counts?

A

Last month's DTI carried a blurb on the Mig-31 BM . the last line talked about the Mig-31 BM's ability to counter stealth cruise missiles and Hypersonics. In this context I propose to start a discussion as to how the Mig-31 BM may indeed accomplish the same.

Avimimus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Modified Ks-172? If fired from the forward hemisphere? A derivative of some of the new missiles being developed around the S-400 system should be able to hit a target going at Mach 3.5...

The -BM retains the GSH-6-23 right? The perfect weapon for those stealthy cruise missiles...

Bravado and bragging in hopes of scoring an export order (this particular technique is supposed to allow you to shoot down anything :D )

SOC

I look at pictures all day
Reaction score
Hypersonic aircraft will not be difficult to intercept. The MiG-31BM will get the MiG-31M's R-37 long-range AAM and should have no problem with an aircraft operating below 100,000 feet. Not sure if the R-37's engagement envelope extends beyond 100,000 feet. The BM will also get an upgraded radar based in part on the MiG-31M's Zaslon-M radar set. Even the original Zaslon had the ability to engage lower-RCS cruise missiles like the AGM-86B, so claiming that the BM can engage stealthy cruise missiles and hypersonic aircraft seems fully within its capabilities.

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
SOC said:
Hypersonic aircraft will not be difficult to intercept. The MiG-31BM will get the MiG-31M's R-37 long-range AAM and should have no problem with an aircraft operating below 100,000 feet. Not sure if the R-37's engagement envelope extends beyond 100,000 feet. The BM will also get an upgraded radar based in part on the MiG-31M's Zaslon-M radar set. Even the original Zaslon had the ability to engage lower-RCS cruise missiles like the AGM-86B, so claiming that the BM can engage stealthy cruise missiles and hypersonic aircraft seems fully within its capabilities.

Provided the Mig-31 is in the right place at the right time. When moving a mile a second that's not going to give the Mig a whole lot of time to get in position depending on how far out the hypersonic aircraft/missile is first picked up.

SOC

Reaction score
True, of course, but the capability is certainly there. Besides, an aircraft moving at hypersonic speed is going to be detected at an obscene range anyway.

A

Given your comment about detectability and max altitude for the VLRAAMs , would it then be better to engage a hypersonic aircraft with an NCADE type system with an IR seeker?

SOC

Reaction score
An IR seeker might be a little less accurate as it could have issues discriminating between the airframe and the engine exhaust plume due to the temperatures involved. An IIR seeker may be sufficient, I'd have to look into it.