Why are all attachments downloading as 'index.php'?

dannydale

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This is seriously degrading the usefulness and my enjoyment of the forum. I suspect borked mimetypes. Please fix!

Sure thing. Give me admin rights to your computer or, better yet, buy a new one.

Working perfectly fine for me, I suspect the issue lies at your end.

I'm having the same issue, where all image attachments are saved as "index.php.jpg", etc.

However, I've found that the issue is only localised to Firefox (8) - Google Chrome doesn't have the same issue.

Same problem here. It's been like that for a couple of weeks and it's pretty annoying. Doesn't do it on every page though (once in a while I get the right filename) but I'd say I have that problem on at least half of the forum's pages.

Yes. Firefox 8 changed its handling of attachments to be more standards compliant and less real-world compliant. Its caused issues for Firefox users.

Thats aside from the normal "its Firefox" issues ;)

Once downloaded a file, manually change its extension from ".php" to ".jpeg", and it will work as usual.

It's boring, but it's better than nothing...

Farloccus said:
Once downloaded a file, manually change its extension from ".php" to ".jpeg", and it will work as usual.

It's boring, but it's better than nothing...

Well, yeah... except that if it were just a problem with the extension, it would be easy. Here it's the whole filename that gets replaced with "index.php"... So you need to copy the whole filename in the page and paste it in the dialog box before saving...Pretty annoying! Hope Mozilla can fix that one soon.

Triton said:
Works properly in Mozilla Firefox 9.0.1. Update your Mozilla Firefox!

Fixed. Somehow I thought Firefox was doing all the updates automatically, so I never cared to check what version I was at. Thank you so much!!

Stargazer2006 said:
..Somehow I thought Firefox was doing all the updates automatically ....

Me too, and AFAIK there always was a notification, that a newer version is available ...

Jemiba said:
Stargazer2006 said:
..Somehow I thought Firefox was doing all the updates automatically ....

Me too, and AFAIK there always was a notification, that a newer version is available ...

Thanks for the heads-up on the need to update Firefox. The process is now semi-automatic; I found this out when I checked my version number using the "About" box and it started then.

Everything's downloading with the correct filename in version 9.

I have found that if I put my cursor over the link with the filename at the bottom of the thumbnail and do a "Save Target As", it will download it properly with the original filename and type. The only glitch with this is you get a "download has completed" window at the bottom of the page that you have to click on the "X" to get rid of.

I am using IE9 and if I click on the picture and try to do a "Save Picture As" I get "untitled.png" for the filename. I Googled "untitled.png IE9" and found that it is a problem that people started seeing in July 2011 (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/ie9-suddenly-started-saving-picture-files-as/273fd3b0-94b4-4a65-8b90-3878cb4b3f13 ) and no one seems to have found a solution that works for everyone.

Secret Projects is the only site I am having the "untitled.png" issue and I haven't had the problem elsewhere yet. I'll have to give Firefox and Chrome a try.

The problem you're experiencing with IE definitely echoes the one we've had with Firefox 8 and that was solved with Firefox 9. Unfortunately Microsoft are not as swift as Mozilla to provide updates and corrections for their software...

As for the "Download" windows that you need to close each time, there should be a box to untick in your software's preferences.